Purchasing Used Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 PM

InkedTG32 is a decent person
Purchasing Used Bike

I would like to purchase a new to me used by for stunting most likely a Honda CBR600. I've own a used motorcycle before and buying my first one it had some problems that hindered me from enjoying it fully. I've done the book research but I want to know what to really look at when purchasing a bike I will convert to a stunter. I have some mechanical knowledge, any advice would help. Also would any motorcycle mechanic ever take some money to check out a bike for me from a private seller or is this just too far out of the box thinking?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:20 AM
Lit
I♥MyF4i.

Lit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to behold
Re: Purchasing Used Bike

Originally Posted by InkedTG32
I would like to purchase a new to me used by for stunting most likely a Honda CBR600. I've own a used motorcycle before and buying my first one it had some problems that hindered me from enjoying it fully. I've done the book research but I want to know what to really look at when purchasing a bike I will convert to a stunter. I have some mechanical knowledge, any advice would help. Also would any motorcycle mechanic ever take some money to check out a bike for me from a private seller or is this just too far out of the box thinking?
ive had good luck with used pre 2007 hyosungs. if you find one, ****** it up quick
Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was also looking for things like what to look for while I'm riding or what to look for before and after a test ride. Since it would be a new bike to me just trying to go off of feeling while riding wont really work. Any specific tricks of the trade not to pick up something thats gonna fail me in the end?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

bring someone who knows what they are looking at but biggest things i look at are.

Overall Maintenance of the bike, if it looks neglected i look really hard at everything, check the oil level, check the brake fluid, etc chances are they arent going to change all that **** and when you see recent work done you might be able to trace down another problem they are trying to hide.

look at the case covers, are there scratches? most people will replace fairings but not case covers. if you see evidence of a wreck you might be able to see something else looking under the plastics.

i always look at the mounting points of the case covers, ive seen a lot of JB welded engine cases to get a quick sale to a sucker.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by NAARDEN INC
bring someone who knows what they are looking at but biggest things i look at are.

Overall Maintenance of the bike, if it looks neglected i look really hard at everything, check the oil level, check the brake fluid, etc chances are they arent going to change all that **** and when you see recent work done you might be able to trace down another problem they are trying to hide.

look at the case covers, are there scratches? most people will replace fairings but not case covers. if you see evidence of a wreck you might be able to see something else looking under the plastics.

i always look at the mounting points of the case covers, ive seen a lot of JB welded engine cases to get a quick sale to a sucker.
Thanks for the advice