Vortex Sprocket help...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Chris*Stunner

Chris*Stunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Vortex Sprocket help...?

i just got my 525pitch 54 tooth vortex sprocket and i was wondering what i should do to my front sprocket...? any tips or advice if i should go up more infront or down..... its for an 05 cbr600rr.... have stock front sprocket..... please anyone willing to share there sprocket set up....
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Chris*Stunner

Re: Vortex Sprocket help...?

come on some here knows what i should do ..... lol
Old 12-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Chris*Stunner

? nothing...?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

when you put on a new sprocket you should put on 2 new sprockets and a new chain unless your new rear sprockets is used and then it wont make much of a difference any way ..

as far as what size front sprocket thats a matter of if you want more gear or not , if you want more gear then go down in the front but if you wanted more gear then you should have gotten a bigger rear sprocket in the first place
Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Chris*Stunner

i got a 54 tooth sprocket ... its new ... and about buying all new thats what i plan to do.. i want a 530 chain before i install my new sprocket but any tip on how many teeth i should get for the front sprocket....
Old 12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Chris*Stunner

what do u mean by more gearing..? i dnt want it to be so slow on topend wise... but lots of torque power .... enough to pop the clutch and get it to bp....
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Chris*Stunner
i got a 54 tooth sprocket ... its new ... and about buying all new thats what i plan to do.. i want a 530 chain before i install my new sprocket but any tip on how many teeth i should get for the front sprocket....
like i said thats a matter of if you want more gear or not , no one can answer that question but you , i mean if it's a lot only bike i personally would want more gear but some people wouldnt but if it's a street bike then i would say no more then 10 up over stock ..

1 tooth down in the front is roughly the same as 2-1/2 up in the rear
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
also known as OMR

what do u mean by more gearing..? i dnt want it to be so slow on topend wise... but lots of torque power .... enough to pop the clutch and get it to bp....
you can clutch a bike to balance point on stock gear
Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Chris*Stunner

yeah right now i have a 46tooth on my bike but baught the 54 so yeah i guess im going to have to just test around.... thanks alot roger...
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM

BLKCAT is a decent person

U can eaither go -1 in the front and +2 in the rear and still have some top end and have alot of torq mid's and the low's...
Old 12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by BLKCAT
U can eaither go -1 in the front and +2 in the rear and still have some top end and have alot of torq mid's and the low's...
no real reason to go down in the front , just get the rear sprocket that gives you the same ratio
Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Chris*Stunner

ok im confused so with the new 54tooth sprocket ur saying i should leave the front the same....?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
also known as OMR

ok im confused so with the new 54tooth sprocket ur saying i should leave the front the same....?
the only reasons to change the amount of teeth on the front are 1- you are worried what people will think if they see you have a big rear sprocket or 2 - you try the gear ratio you have but think you need more gear and dont want to buy a new rear cause the front sprocket is cheaper ...

now with that in mind if you put all new chain and sprockets on your bike and decide you need more gear you need to decide quick cause if you wait too long your chain will have already stretched and then just changing the front will cause every thing else to wear faster ....
Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Chris*Stunner

umm ok i havent mounted the new rear sprocket do i get a new front sprocket too or can i get just a new 54 rear and new chain....? and is a 120 link chain long enought for me to mount it with the new sprocket and have room left over to adjust the tension on chain..?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
also known as OMR

umm ok i havent mounted the new rear sprocket do i get a new front sprocket too or can i get just a new 54 rear and new chain....? and is a 120 link chain long enought for me to mount it with the new sprocket and have room left over to adjust the tension on chain..?
like i said before when you change you should change both sprockets and the chain , you dont have to but it will last alot longer if you do ..

the chain stretches as you ride and the sprockets wear to match the chain so putting a new sprocket on an old chain will make the sprocket and chain wear faster ..

as far as the amount of links i dont know , i always just order from phil at motoheaven and he knows what size chain to send me ...
Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Dilts646 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you want more gear stay STOCK in the front, Like Roger said if you wanted more gear u should have just bought a bigger rear sprocket in the first place. The good thing is you can always go down 1 in the front for now and than go back to stock later, or vise versa) You should just stay with a stock front, You don't need more gearing than that just to hit bp.

Also if you got a 525 pitch sprocket you want the same pitch chain. (I see above you said u have a 525 pitch sprocket and you want a new 530 chain)
Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Dilts646 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old man roger
like i said before when you change you should change both sprockets and the chain , you dont have to but it will last alot longer if you do ..

The chain stretches as you ride and the sprockets wear to match the chain so putting a new sprocket on an old chain will make the sprocket and chain wear faster ..

as far as the amount of links i dont know , i always just order from phil at motoheaven and he knows what size chain to send me ...

+1
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Chris*Stunner

ok and why cant i put a 530...? isnt a 530 better than a 525..? or will a 530 wear my 525 pitch sprocket wear faster?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 PM
also known as OMR

ok and why cant i put a 530...? isnt a 530 better than a 525..? or will a 530 wear my 525 pitch sprocket wear faster?
it's a good idea to match the pitch of the chain with the pitch of the sprockets , you can us the 520 and the 525 as long as the sprockets are the smaller of the two but i dont think the 530 will work with any thing other then a 530 ...know what i mean ?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Chris*Stunner

yeah i get you..... . . . i guess im going with a 525 pitch chain...

Quick Reply: Vortex Sprocket help...?