Need some advice on my stand up wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 PM

gixxer_riderk4 is a decent person
Need some advice on my stand up wheelies

This is my second day practicing stand up wheelies. I got first gear down pretty good, but I dont like hitting the balance point at that slow of speed because it is wobbly. This is a video of my second gear wheelies and i would like some advice on how to steer the bike while in a wheelie. I think i hit the balance point every now and then because the rpms dont rise past ten grand if i ride them out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5QM8k0B7GI
Old 09-22-2008, 08:29 AM
†★ King of brake lines ★†

Juca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant future
Re: Need some advice on my stand up wheelies

basic standups

Most people learning wheelies start off sitting down, which is good because you are in full control in a very comfortable position during your wheelie, but the truth of the matter is the stand up wheelie is by far the safer wheelie. Standing up allows you to see over your windscreen and gives you a 180 degree line of sight, so you can see any dangers coming your way! The sit down wheelie is dangerous because your vision is restricted and no matter what side you look off of you only have a 90 degree view. Most collisions during a wheelie resulted from a sitdown wheelie. Not to mention it is much easier to steer your wheelie during a standup.

Once you learn to stand up wheelie the next thing you'll do is have contests with your friend to see you can wheelie the farthest. When you learn the balance point you realize the next problem you encounter is yourself. At this point you're bike can wheelie and you can wheelie, but your arms can't handle the pressure. Once you carry your wheelie about a mile you start to feel the burn we call arm pump. Arm pump is the result of holding on too tight to the handgrips, and is a buildup of lactic acid in your forearm muscles. At first it starts ou as a burn and then you realize you slowly lose the ability to open your hands. The dangerous part is during a wheelie you may end up losing control of your arms all together which can be disatrous and deadly.
The best way to compensate for our pump is to move the position of your feet to help take the strain of your arms. There are a lot of different ways you can stand,"both back pegs" and the most popular "split peg". Split Peg is great because it allowas you to have 1 foot on the back peg and your right foot covering the rear brake. By having 1 foot on the back peg you can rest all of your weight on your back foot and take most of the strain of your arms.
Just by doing this one move you'll add miles to your wheelie and completely blow your freinds out of the water!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Juca,

I did do sit downs like a mad man on my old gixxer. and i could clutch it in second sitting down and ride it for as far as the road was. but This is my second day doing stand ups and i do the split stance, one on rear left peg and one covering the break. i put all the weight on my left leg so it dosnt hurt my arms.

I feel much safer doing a stand up because i can push the bike to make it go down as to where i did not have control over the sit downs besides the rear break.

But i need some tips on steering a stand up, do you lean your body?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 PM

Juca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gixxer_riderk4
Juca,

But i need some tips on steering a stand up, do you lean your body?
use your knees and upper part of the body.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

bring it further back
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 PM

1_UP_600RR is a decent person

Originally Posted by 50Outlaw
bring it further back
+1 you dont even look close to BP bro.. clutch up harder so u dont have to power up half way... If you get to BP steering should come semi naturally.. Its all just feel really...
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 PM

ha yeah i know i need to bring it up a little higher, thanks for the tips.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

where your at right now you aren't going to be steering ****... you realy gotta be close to or at BP
Old 09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Delinquent

j-flights is a decent person

i read somewhere that im supposed to keep my legs straight??? but that **** aint working! any Advice?? heres my latest ....
Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person

The bike looks better in black... Are you still practicing in second?

Stick to first for a while while you learn rearbrake
Old 09-22-2008, 10:27 PM
DMC Freestyle.....

freestylexxx02 is an unknown quantity at this point

bring that shiat way back son.... your tail needs ta be about 4/ 5 inches away from the ground!! like everyone else said... stering will then come natural :YEAH
Old 09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Delinquent

j-flights is a decent person

Originally Posted by Standupnfall
The bike looks better in black... Are you still practicing in second?

Stick to first for a while while you learn rearbrake
im sticking to 1st for now. but i can do it slower on 2nd? iono man.. just need practice but it HOT right now on 1st i can get it up around 3-5 mph but i get scurd and put it down right away
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

quit humping the tank... lean back
Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 AM

KaaL is a decent person

today was my 4th day doing stand ups, i been leaning my body a lil to the left or right to control my wheelies and it works for me, i also think its just feeling and if anybody has any tips for me about get to bp soon? im catchin bp too late, but i think im just scared to clutch up harder cuz im scared to fall and like Outlaw said i also need to stop humping the tank haha here a clip
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i82.photobucket.com/player.sw...y/MOV02378.flv">
Old 09-23-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by KaaL
today was my 4th day doing stand ups, i been leaning my body a lil to the left or right to control my wheelies and it works for me, i also think its just feeling and if anybody has any tips for me about get to bp soon? im catchin bp too late, but i think im just scared to clutch up harder cuz im scared to fall and like Outlaw said i also need to stop humping the tank haha here a clip
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i82.photobucket.com/player.sw...y/MOV02378.flv">
this is my oppinion :
1. udont have balancepoint (but you are close)
2. i cant see your position becouse dark is outside
3. i can see your rear brake light (i dont know ,do you use ti? )
4. keed practice
5. you are 2 fast
3.clutc it harder
Old 09-23-2008, 02:59 PM

I was in that SAME area... close to BP but still not quite.. Lately I get it off and on and gettin better so keep at it try comin up faster so your still goin slow..
Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 PM

dang man, thats impressive. you got a cage?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM

KaaL is a decent person

yah i got a cage, and thank everyone for the advice, yah i use my break and always cover it, i know i just need more seat time i things will start to come together, and i will get some day time clips
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 PM

KaaL is a decent person

oh and when i clutch up harder i have trouble with being smooth with the throttle any advice? and if anybody has a clip were can hear what the engine sounds like through out the process please post it
Old 09-23-2008, 11:35 PM

oh and when i clutch up harder i have trouble with being smooth with the throttle any advice? and if anybody has a clip were can hear what the engine sounds like through out the process please post it
Im in the same boat bro, best way to fix the prob.... put your gear on and clutch em up.. Anyone will tell you, its all practice practice practice... Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on my stand up wheelies