Measuring a 12 bar for 12 not 1:00 or 2:00?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:25 PM

UpOn1Fool is a decent person
Measuring a 12 bar for 12 not 1:00 or 2:00?

HOW DOES SOMEONE MEASURE A TWELVE BAR TO BE AT 12 & NOT 1 OR 2?

My twelve bar is only a few inches longer than a round bar, around 1:30ish-1:45 and I want to have it at 12:30 -1:00 until I get better.

I know, just pull it out and re drill the subframe and stand it up...
That could too much time, does anyone know a easier way or some type of measurement crap or do I have to go with the factory hole settings?
Not to mention the further out the less amount of strength the bar has, ugh.

I know I really should leave it where it's at...but I am still learning my 12's and that is just adding to the delay.

I have reienforcment bars on my 12 bar so that is also an issue too b/c they will have to be cut or extended.

Is this something I am gonna have to suck up or what could use some advice on this
Old 03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough
Re: Measuring a 12 bar for 12 not 1:00 or 2:00?

post some pics and I'll tell you,cause most round bars are like 11 or 11:30 and if yours is longer, its already to long
Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough

how is a shorter bar adding to the delay of your learning??
Old 03-31-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by *Tanus*
post some pics and I'll tell you,cause most round bars are like 11 or 11:30 and if yours is longer, its already to long
do you mean round bars or 1-1:30 or did u mean to say 11-11:30?

well we put it on the bar next to my homeboys bike just so i could get use to scarping and the bottom of my front tire was like 12:45 almost 1. So I took it to Aaron at 905 and he said the same but he was too busy to lengthing it with er'body going to Mexico, I didn't think to ask him if there was a way that I could do it myself....

And as far as slowing down my learning process, well it's always easier knowing where the 12 spot is at isn't? knowing how far back you can go? hell you tell me, I am a fast and easy learner but I like to crawl before I walk and the 12 bar is not letting me crawl or scrape?

It could be a mental thing for me?

But at the same rate knowing where the 12 bar is at before I hit it would've saved me from tweaking my subframe and breaking the frame tab!

Any advice on trying to weld a new subframe to frame tab?

Maybe I will use JB Weld, lol :YEAH

I can't seem to upload a pic b/c of my work computer, but it's short

Last edited by UpOn1Fool; 03-31-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:05 PM

if u make it longer its gonna hold u back.. can u 12? can u catch idle? can u coast?

your bar should not be past where the stock tail is
Old 03-31-2008, 06:19 PM

yea ur right too long will hold me back...but yea I can 12 but it's not like it should be, my 12's kinda catch me off guard and I need to be at the level of scarping when I want not on accident. I can catch idle and I have done some coasters on my zx and it was sweet, but it wasn't planned.

You are the O.G. out here and since u, Nate and Warren think I should leave it where it's at then I will.

But you'll better catch me when I fall, lol

By the way how did u get started in South Kackalaki and where? R u from there?

Last edited by UpOn1Fool; 03-31-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

you mean like 12:30-1 right??

Stock tail on my f4i, was defintiely not FULL 12, but damn close

For my 12 bar, I ended up going 4 inches at its farthest point off my subframe, and that gets me a hair past 12

Stock tail I believe was about 7 inches off the subframe

<<< My avatar isn't hitting the bar, the bar is still about 1 inch off the ground

Last edited by Towlieee; 04-01-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

tail on any bike I've ever scraped (f4,f4i, 02gsxr) was like 11 o'clock,way before 12.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

tail on any bike I've ever scraped (f4,f4i, 02gsxr) was like 11 o'clock,way before 12.
ya nvm I dont know what the hell I was thinking earlier today

tail is definitely 11
Old 04-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Sparks! is an unknown quantity at this point

I backed mine up against a brick wall, its like bieng on the bar but you dont have to lift it up.... it worked well for mine anyway and the bar was at a true 12 o clock.also handy to get the bar lined up to scrape straight.....
Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

12 bars are 2002.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 AM
www.sicriders.com

SIC Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sparks!
I backed mine up against a brick wall, its like bieng on the bar but you dont have to lift it up.... it worked well for mine anyway and the bar was at a true 12 o clock.also handy to get the bar lined up to scrape straight.....
I didnt think this thread was still going... but the above method is a good idea and/or back in the day we used to use a long straight anything and set it against the tire and against the 12bar and set it to close to 90 degrees from the ground (basically like the wall, which seems better).

Good idea to tip it slightly so that you will scrape on the top edge rather than catching on the bottom edge.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

GOOD IDEA. MY 04 636 IS A ROUND BAR THAT IS 2-3 INCHES OUT FROM THE TAIL, I'M A NEWBIE SO I STILL HAVE NOT HIT IT YET. I GET TO BP AND I LET OFF WITH MY FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND IT COMES DOWN , O WELL PRACTICE..I GOT ALOT BETTER IN A FEW PRACTICE DAYS THEN WHEN I STARTED. PROGRESS IS ALWAYS GOOD :YEAH, ALSO THE STUNTERS THAT I'M RIDING WITH THIS SUNDAY..AND FROM NOW ON (INSTEAD OF BY MYSELF) WILL HELP ALOT.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by UpOn1Fool
yea ur right too long will hold me back...but yea I can 12 but it's not like it should be, my 12's kinda catch me off guard and I need to be at the level of scarping when I want not on accident. I can catch idle and I have done some coasters on my zx and it was sweet, but it wasn't planned.

You are the O.G. out here and since u, Nate and Warren think I should leave it where it's at then I will.

But you'll better catch me when I fall, lol

By the way how did u get started in South Kackalaki and where? R u from there?

lol..

im from charleston sc..

and we started on the streets, we were doin wheelies and **** forever, then saw the early dvd's and started learning to 12 etc back in 2002
Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by UpOn1Fool
HOW DOES SOMEONE MEASURE A TWELVE BAR TO BE AT 12 & NOT 1 OR 2?

My twelve bar is only a few inches longer than a round bar, around 1:30ish-1:45 and I want to have it at 12:30 -1:00 until I get better.

I know, just pull it out and re drill the subframe and stand it up...
That could too much time, does anyone know a easier way or some type of measurement crap or do I have to go with the factory hole settings?
Not to mention the further out the less amount of strength the bar has, ugh.

I know I really should leave it where it's at...but I am still learning my 12's and that is just adding to the delay.

I have reienforcment bars on my 12 bar so that is also an issue too b/c they will have to be cut or extended.

Is this something I am gonna have to suck up or what could use some advice on this
the phrase, "punch yourself in the face comes to mind"
Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM

Make sure if you DO measure it against a wall

measure it 1-2" shorter..

because unless you run 50+ psi in your tire, your tire will flex and you wont be at 12..

I believe I made my bar about 3 inches shorter then 12 against a wall.. But it sits at ALMOST 12, maybe a hair past on the bar
Old 04-06-2008, 11:19 AM

CHADf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SIC Nate
I didnt think this thread was still going... but the above method is a good idea and/or back in the day we used to use a long straight anything and set it against the tire and against the 12bar and set it to close to 90 degrees from the ground (basically like the wall, which seems better).

Good idea to tip it slightly so that you will scrape on the top edge rather than catching on the bottom edge.

i've always measured a inch or so from the wall so the bike sits well on the bar,very stable! but i run round bar now......

if this is for your gsx-r, let me know if you want a steel subframe.*pm me
Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Sparks! is an unknown quantity at this point

Round bars are the new hotness.... picture whoring but this is first ride with round bar and i'll never go back.....

Sick round bar, well reccomended... haven't had that much fun in ages now i can scrape wonky spreaders without falling off
Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 PM

:YEAH yo, I appreciate all of your advice,

We put the bike next to a stock 03 gsx6 and yea my 12 bar is 2-3" past the 'back seat' making it less than flush with the tail lights(closer to the seat), so yea it would probably be at my advantage to lengthing it for a few months, hopefully less.

what I am understanding is that the bottom line is this:

1. Back the bike up to a wall,

2. while making sure the back tire is against the wall, pull the bar all the way out to the wall (this should be almost 12 maybe 11:45, right?),

3. Now bring the bar 2-3" back towards the bike so that I am a lil past 12, I am guessing those few inches will put me about 12:30ish.

I don't know how I am going to angle the bar so that the top hits before the bottom but I am sure I will figure it out.

I am thinking of starting off with a whole new bar and then going back to this one, does anyone have a favorite?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM

georgeeboy is a decent person

Round bars are the new hotness.... picture whoring but this is first ride with round bar and i'll never go back.....

Sick round bar, well reccomended... haven't had that much fun in ages now i can scrape wonky spreaders without falling off
If you put more air in your tire, it would be even further back

Quick Reply: Measuring a 12 bar for 12 not 1:00 or 2:00?