Still having problems with wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM

Tru Texan is an unknown quantity at this point
Still having problems with wobbles

Went riding Saturday, first time since about Oct or so. Wasn't on the bike 30 secs and was doing staggereds. Riding it for about a mile, but I find myself fighting the bike so much. Everything will be nice and smooth, and then out of no where, bike will start wobbling under me. I can tell when it gets to bad and I have to put it down, but sometimes if I just throttle a bit, it will straighten out for a few more secs. My friends behind me are scared Im gonna lose it. What can be causing the wobbles, and how do I stop it?

Also, how do I turn? I usually can turn enough w/o thinking about it like if a car comes out, or if Im passing someone. But when I actually try to turn w/the road, I'm struggling and end up putting it down.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Still having problems with wobbles

You gotta learn to be smoother on the gas and brake. Try to get to BP then lock your throttle hand and try to only use brake. You gotta use the brake smooth also. Chain slack and sharp brake imputs translate to side to side movement at your rear wheel. Just practice more and it will get better.
The higher you are the easier it is to steer. To steer put more weight on the foot/side your trying to steer to. This is easier said then done. You can lean off the bike a little but this only gets you so much. The real way is to consciously put more weight on one foot and leave it their till you start to steer. Once you put weight on either side it will take a few seconds for the bike to start to steer. Its not instant. If its a sharp turn make sure to bring it baaaack as you plant more weight on either side. Practice practice practice, you'll get it.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 AM

MR2turbo4evr is a decent person

Originally Posted by Tru Texan
Went riding Saturday, first time since about Oct or so. Wasn't on the bike 30 secs and was doing staggereds. Riding it for about a mile, but I find myself fighting the bike so much. Everything will be nice and smooth, and then out of no where, bike will start wobbling under me. I can tell when it gets to bad and I have to put it down, but sometimes if I just throttle a bit, it will straighten out for a few more secs. My friends behind me are scared Im gonna lose it. What can be causing the wobbles, and how do I stop it?

Also, how do I turn? I usually can turn enough w/o thinking about it like if a car comes out, or if Im passing someone. But when I actually try to turn w/the road, I'm struggling and end up putting it down.
I got the same problem on my TTR125L bro....started practicing wheelies last riding season and got pretty good at finding balance point, etc. I can pull the sucker up in any gear now and ride a nice smooth wheely at bp, but as soon as the front wheel stops spinning my bike starts to wobble.....my guess is we're not good enough yet. It's all about practice, practice, practice....
Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 AM

Well as soon as I get some new tires, I'm gonna be PRACTICING MY *** OFF!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM

Timmy P is a decent person

old flatspotted tires will give you the wobbles. too.. but like 287 its mostly about smooth inputs.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:05 PM

GAMstunts is an unknown quantity at this point

I think your problem is the fact that you havent rode in 5 months.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 287ridah
You gotta learn to be smoother on the gas and brake. Try to get to BP then lock your throttle hand and try to only use brake. You gotta use the brake smooth also. Chain slack and sharp brake imputs translate to side to side movement at your rear wheel. Just practice more and it will get better.
The higher you are the easier it is to steer. To steer put more weight on the foot/side your trying to steer to. This is easier said then done. You can lean off the bike a little but this only gets you so much. The real way is to consciously put more weight on one foot and leave it their till you start to steer. Once you put weight on either side it will take a few seconds for the bike to start to steer. Its not instant. If its a sharp turn make sure to bring it baaaack as you plant more weight on either side. Practice practice practice, you'll get it.
+1. And quit trying to steer them. Work on locking BP down before you start steering ****. When you start leaning off your bike and trying to steer things you don't focus on the basics.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 PM

Yeah, I guess u all have a point. Another thing I noticed is that when I go A LOT slower or when I'm by myself I do better. But when I ride with a friend, my squidness increases all of a sudden. I was by myself the other day, old man and his son pull up next to me and give me the "pick it up" sign. So I did a staggered in 3rd at about 30mph, rode it forever, no wobbles or anything...it was great. I went so long that I looked back and the man was splitting the lanes to block traffic for me. Didn't dawn on me until I put it down that " oh ****, I was going so long and so smoothly at bp that I turned around looked back" .....Later that night, was with some friends, they picked it up going about 65 or so, so I did the same. (The don't do staggereds, they keep both feet on front pegs. I can't even get the bike up like that so I do staggered) I out rode them, but damn it got to wobblling left to right so much that I put it down. Scared them shitless! I gotta find someone around here thats down to go out and practice. Can't wait to get my srad back....

Last edited by Tru Texan; 03-17-2008 at 06:23 PM.