Fork setups...Enough already!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:03 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Fork setups...Enough already!!!

... bump ...
Old 01-06-2007, 05:28 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

yup thats the one
Old 02-04-2007, 04:50 PM

Barth Vader is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm gonna try a 954 set up on my F4I this week. Hope it works out.
My previous bike was a 900 rr from'96 and i always felt that it was a better bike than the F4I for endo's. I changed the oil of my stock F4 fork and I even tried harder springs(0.95) but they didn' t feel right to me. Soo now i have springs of a stock F3( a little harder than the F4i) and the thicker oil and it feels pretty good ! I also changed the master brake cylinder(took it from the 900 rr '96) Much less aggressive ! But I'm gonna try the 954 end anyway, because i want to know the difference. I'm a little worried about the increase off brake power, because i liked the brakes off the F4i.
But i've had a 929 for road use and it felt pretty good, only i found the brake a little agressive for going slow.
Butt i guess i will know the difference soon !
Old 02-09-2007, 03:38 PM

da Liks is a decent person

hey bart, my brother (big vin on DSF) has the 954 frontend too, and it feels great!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Hater proof

CrazyJ is a decent person

MR GORKA ME AND WEBER ARE STILL ******* AROUND WITH STOPPIE SET UPS TO THE DAY ....I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT WHEN IT COMES TO STOPPIES U HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO DO THEM PUTTIN SOME FRONT END ON YOUR BIKE ISNT GONNA HELP YOU ROLL LONG STOPPIES. I ROLLED OVER 600 FEET ON A 98 900RR AND THAT DOES NOT HAVE INVERTED FORKS , I PICKED UP A F4I A FEW YEARS BACK AND LIKE JOE BROWN SAID I WAS GETTIN TANK SLAPPERS WHEN I WAS COMING IN AT FASTER SPEEDS THE BARS ARE VERY NARROW !!!! SO I GOT A 929 FRONT END AND THE FORKS ARE STIFFER THE BRAKING IS BETTER AND THE BARS ARE WIDER AND NOT AS FAR PULLED BACK
IT DID IMPROVE IT BUT ME AND MATT HAD TO LOWER THE FRONT END A LITTLE BECAUSE IT RAISED THE FRONT OF THE BIKE AND WE TUNED IN THE SETTINGS ...MY OPINION I DONT THINK THE F4I WITH A 929 FRONT END IS GOOD FOR DISTANCE STOPPIES BECAUSE THE BIKE IS REALLY LIGHT AND THE BIKE IS LONG AND WITH THE 929 FRONT END IT SEEMS TO HAVE A VERY UNSTABLE BALANCE POINT (MEANING THAT WHEN IT GOES THERES NO WARNING ) UNLIKE THE 900 AND THE 929 OR 954 AND MATTS ZX6 WHERE U CAN ACTUALLY FEET IT A LITTLE AND CAN BE CORRECTED BUT MOSTLY I THINK PEOPLE DO IT FOR LOOK ,PEOPLE FOLLOW TRENDS THEY DONT ACTUALLY GO OUT PRATICE AND TUNE THERE BIKES FOR THEIR RIDING STYLE AND WHAT THERE NEEDS ARE 929 FRONT ENDS ON A F4I I GUESS ARE POINTLESS UNLESS UR TRYIN TO ROLL DISTANCE STOPPIES ON YOUR F4I

IVE BEEN IN ROLLIN STOPPIES FOR YEARS THATS JUST MY

HOLLA
J
Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by CrazyJ
MR GORKA ME AND WEBER ARE STILL ******* AROUND WITH STOPPIE SET UPS TO THE DAY ....I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT WHEN IT COMES TO STOPPIES U HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO DO THEM PUTTIN SOME FRONT END ON YOUR BIKE ISNT GONNA HELP YOU ROLL LONG STOPPIES. I ROLLED OVER 600 FEET ON A 98 900RR AND THAT DOES NOT HAVE INVERTED FORKS , I PICKED UP A F4I A FEW YEARS BACK AND LIKE JOE BROWN SAID I WAS GETTIN TANK SLAPPERS WHEN I WAS COMING IN AT FASTER SPEEDS THE BARS ARE VERY NARROW !!!! SO I GOT A 929 FRONT END AND THE FORKS ARE STIFFER THE BRAKING IS BETTER AND THE BARS ARE WIDER AND NOT AS FAR PULLED BACK
IT DID IMPROVE IT BUT ME AND MATT HAD TO LOWER THE FRONT END A LITTLE BECAUSE IT RAISED THE FRONT OF THE BIKE AND WE TUNED IN THE SETTINGS ...MY OPINION I DONT THINK THE F4I WITH A 929 FRONT END IS GOOD FOR DISTANCE STOPPIES BECAUSE THE BIKE IS REALLY LIGHT AND THE BIKE IS LONG AND WITH THE 929 FRONT END IT SEEMS TO HAVE A VERY UNSTABLE BALANCE POINT (MEANING THAT WHEN IT GOES THERES NO WARNING ) UNLIKE THE 900 AND THE 929 OR 954 AND MATTS ZX6 WHERE U CAN ACTUALLY FEET IT A LITTLE AND CAN BE CORRECTED BUT MOSTLY I THINK PEOPLE DO IT FOR LOOK ,PEOPLE FOLLOW TRENDS THEY DONT ACTUALLY GO OUT PRATICE AND TUNE THERE BIKES FOR THEIR RIDING STYLE AND WHAT THERE NEEDS ARE 929 FRONT ENDS ON A F4I I GUESS ARE POINTLESS UNLESS UR TRYIN TO ROLL DISTANCE STOPPIES ON YOUR F4I

IVE BEEN IN ROLLIN STOPPIES FOR YEARS THATS JUST MY

HOLLA
J

I put thicker fluid in my f4i forks and it's actually tighter than my 929. I had to back off the compression and spring tension even! I love it for stoppies :YEAH
Old 03-14-2007, 05:30 AM

which weight oil, nags? my suspension guy said to try 20..
Old 03-14-2007, 05:49 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

15 is plenty for almost any bike....
Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by da Liks
which weight oil, nags? my suspension guy said to try 20..
I put 15 in and it's almost too stiff. I had to back off all my settings
Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

I heard that overfilling the forks oil a little bit has a similar effect to using heavier oil. Anybody else hear anything like that?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Hater proof

CrazyJ is a decent person

Originally Posted by nags
I put thicker fluid in my f4i forks and it's actually tighter than my 929. I had to back off the compression and spring tension even! I love it for stoppies :YEAH

how far are you rollin on your f4i with your stock front end ?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyJ
how far are you rollin on your f4i with your stock front end ?
I dunno
Old 03-15-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by nags
I put 15 in and it's almost too stiff. I had to back off all my settings
i'ma try that nags, thanks. i put a 14mm R6 mc on it this winter (cuz of the vortex clipons) and i kinda hate it.. isnt the f4i mc a 15 mm?

overfilling the forks isnt the same as thicker fluid. thicker fluid makes it slower, overfilling makes it harder
Old 03-16-2007, 06:54 PM
JB

JB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeM
I heard that overfilling the forks oil a little bit has a similar effect to using heavier oil. Anybody else hear anything like that?
i put a lil less if anything as i was told this wont do any damage and less pressure on your seals.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by JB
i put a lil less if anything as i was told this wont do any damage and less pressure on your seals.
that would make the forks softer. why would you want that?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:58 PM

ALSTAR is an unknown quantity at this point

mate!
that was worth it but lengthy
ok
im gonna be building up some f4i forks asap
one thing i have noticed with stoppies is the rotors bobbins should move freely turn easily this means the disc is truely floating if like some discs i have seen they are seized i reckon this could mess u up as the disc wont run as freely thro the limited space between the pads as honda meant it to
thanks for all the advice in this thread
Old 04-03-2007, 06:56 PM

Ok so i wanna elaborate a bit on my own findings. i can roll a decent distance from a limited runup. havent tried the endless runup highspeed stuff (never went over 70mph)

i´m rollin the ff f4i ,vortex clipons with a 14mm r6 mc, new sintered nissin pads which work great, bitubo steering damper, fukked up rubber lines..

first off, i dropped the forks a bit. just so they were flush with the clipons. this helped for some stability it made the bike less nervous on the front wheel.
i put in some 15 weight oil yesterday after reading Nags experiences and i must say the bike feels "newer". it responds better and its easier to get the stoppie going, i get a faster lift.

but once i am reeeallly up there, i find workin the brake is more sensitive. it feels like modulating the brake now translates more into the height of the stoppie, instead of fork compression like before. in other words it was more forgiving at first.

tomorrow i'm getting the steel lines on there, so i guess it will be even more direct so i'll have to be more carefull! cuz i do like to roll m high and want to keep safe as possible!

sooo, replacing the std oil with some thicker oil already helps to lessen the softness really good. it feels stiffer and better, also just riding the street.

Bart, how is the front end working out? see you in a few weeks!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by da Liks
Ok so i wanna elaborate a bit on my own findings. i can roll a decent distance from a limited runup. havent tried the endless runup highspeed stuff (never went over 70mph)

i´m rollin the ff f4i ,vortex clipons with a 14mm r6 mc, new sintered nissin pads which work great, bitubo steering damper, fukked up rubber lines..

first off, i dropped the forks a bit. just so they were flush with the clipons. this helped for some stability it made the bike less nervous on the front wheel.
i put in some 15 weight oil yesterday after reading Nags experiences and i must say the bike feels "newer". it responds better and its easier to get the stoppie going, i get a faster lift.

but once i am reeeallly up there, i find workin the brake is more sensitive. it feels like modulating the brake now translates more into the height of the stoppie, instead of fork compression like before. in other words it was more forgiving at first.

tomorrow i'm getting the steel lines on there, so i guess it will be even more direct so i'll have to be more carefull! cuz i do like to roll m high and want to keep safe as possible!

sooo, replacing the std oil with some thicker oil already helps to lessen the softness really good. it feels stiffer and better, also just riding the street.

Bart, how is the front end working out? see you in a few weeks!

I feel the same about the front end as you said. I did back off my compression and spring settings after the thicker oil but it's still pretty stout.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 PM

liks, do you have any pics of your clipons?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:08 AM

ok, so today i´m going to try a 100 ft approach.. which i find short!! i usually use a 150 ft approach, which takes me to 250 ft.. i´ll fiddle around a bit with the settings too. how many clicks are you using compression and reboundwise?

i'll make some pics of the clipons wile i'm at it nags!

Quick Reply: Fork setups...Enough already!!!