F4i cage problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:05 AM

addicted2psi is an unknown quantity at this point
F4i cage problems

started to put the FI cage on the bike tonight. after a little pushin and shovin i get the loop into the sliders...go to put the brace on and the loop hits the exhaust before it gets back far enough for the brace to bolt up...

anybody?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:16 AM

John LegionST is a decent person
Re: F4i cage problems

i've heard of this before, a few threads a while ago said why that is, do a search i think darius posted about it. I think on some F4i's you just need to really push it up there hard, even if it bends a little to get it to bolt up. Cage was prolly made snug for ground clearance.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:23 AM

shortGSXR1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by john LegionST
i've heard of this before, a few threads a while ago said why that is, do a search i think darius posted about it. I think on some F4i's you just need to really push it up there hard, even if it bends a little to get it to bolt up. Cage was prolly made snug for ground clearance.

My GSXR Fi cage just broke my motor mount lastnite... and it wasn't a hard drop i was still holding on to the bike. Didnt even bend a bolt but the motor mount broke off. (could be cause i ddint have the bolt up through the bottom of the motor mount toe snug it up.) FI still a good cage though

P.S. Just push hard and make it fit!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:25 AM

KF_Chris is a decent person

those older gixxers have that problem don't they?
I tighten my cage bolts all the time now...but they're always a little loose...little bastards!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by shortGSXR1000
My GSXR Fi cage just broke my motor mount lastnite... and it wasn't a hard drop i was still holding on to the bike. Didnt even bend a bolt but the motor mount broke off. (could be cause i ddint have the bolt up through the bottom of the motor mount toe snug it up.) FI still a good cage though

P.S. Just push hard and make it fit!
yeah, not having the pinch bolt in makes breaking that mount REALLY easy!

get it welded and get back on it!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:31 AM

im talkin like when you push the loop back to line it up, its probably about 1-1.5 inches away from where it should be and thats with it pushing against the exhaust....
Old 05-12-2006, 10:32 AM

yeah, not having the pinch bolt in makes breaking that mount REALLY easy!

get it welded and get back on it!

I dont have the peice cuase i dont know where it broke.. but my boy builds chopper frames in PITT. so im gonna take it up there and see if he can make me a new one and just weld it solid on both sides. or do you think i need to put the bolt hole in there to pinch it???
Old 05-12-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by addicted2psi
im talkin like when you push the loop back to line it up, its probably about 1-1.5 inches away from where it should be and thats with it pushing against the exhaust....

hmmm, Pm darius cause i know he has the answer to this. i ride 636's so im not too familiar with this problem but i know there is a reason and a fix for it!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by shortGSXR1000
I dont have the peice cuase i dont know where it broke.. but my boy builds chopper frames in PITT. so im gonna take it up there and see if he can make me a new one and just weld it solid on both sides. or do you think i need to put the bolt hole in there to pinch it???

well, the reason for the pinch is because there is a collar in there that you are threading into... i guess you could eliminate the collar but i dunno if that will mess anything up!?!?!?!?

screw it, you have 3 other motor mounts! LOL... j/k bro, have him take a look at it and see what he thinks is best!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 AM

well, the reason for the pinch is because there is a collar in there that you are threading into... i guess you could eliminate the collar but i dunno if that will mess anything up!?!?!?!?

screw it, you have 3 other motor mounts! LOL... j/k bro, have him take a look at it and see what he thinks is best!

haha thats what i said.. screw it. LOL im jsut gonna ride it till i can get up there to get it fix. Its just a stunt bike right. As long as my 1000 is minty and my stunt bike functions thats all i care but yeah ill see how hard he things it will be to make it pinch if not just weld it solid Thanks once again for the help
Old 05-12-2006, 11:24 AM

no prob, but be careful how crunchy you let your stunter get. the nicer they are the better they ride etc. I like having a nice stuntbike cause its easier to ride!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:34 AM

should i make a new thread for some responses about the F4i or are you guys done?

just playin, i just really need to get this figured out cause i wanted it together last night....does everybody who puts a FI cage on a F4i have this problem?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:37 AM

no prob, but be careful how crunchy you let your stunter get. the nicer they are the better they ride etc. I like having a nice stuntbike cause its easier to ride!

Your preachn the the chior... thats why i said that, cause everyone alwyas tells me i try to keep my stunter to nice... "its only a stuntbike" thats all i hear. But im not gonna let a broken motor mount keep me from rippn.

I always tell ppl that once you let one thing break and dont fix it 3 or 4 others are gonna break from that.. its a snowball effect if you dont keep you sh*T fixed. Even missing and lose bolts cause stuff to break and crack that could be prevented just from goin to home depot and buying some extra bolts to have in the shop to throw them in when they go missing or break.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:40 AM

should i make a new thread for some responses about the F4i or are you guys done?

just playin, i just really need to get this figured out cause i wanted it together last night....does everybody who puts a FI cage on a F4i have this problem?

told ya bro, you might get a response here from someone about it... but PM Darius, he will know! or call Tim or Greg at FI

sorry for whoring your thread, but at least its keeping it at the top so more people will see it! lol
Old 05-12-2006, 12:06 PM

true...anyone else?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:21 PM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point

i was the one who had this problem and started the other thread. if you take a mallet you can tap the hoop back, it'll sorta line up/slide into a groove in the bottom of the header that will give it a little extra clearance. its a tight fit and it sucks but it does work.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dano
i was the one who had this problem and started the other thread. if you take a mallet you can tap the hoop back, it'll sorta line up/slide into a groove in the bottom of the header that will give it a little extra clearance. its a tight fit and it sucks but it does work.

i think that was the same fix others have posted... beat that b!tch on! LOL
Old 05-12-2006, 01:28 PM

so basically i need to beat the **** out of the cage and bash my exhaust in to get this thing to fit?

and do they have any plans to fix this issue?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 PM

so basically i need to beat the **** out of the cage and bash my exhaust in to get this thing to fit?

and do they have any plans to fix this issue?
don't beat or dent your exhaust! if you give it a little, uhmm, persuasion, it will slide into a groove or something a little farther back and give you the clearance, at least that is how i read it...
Old 05-12-2006, 01:42 PM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point

don't beat or dent your exhaust! if you give it a little, uhmm, persuasion, it will slide into a groove or something a little farther back and give you the clearance, at least that is how i read it...
ya thats pretty much it. you don't beat it, you just tap it. when mine first didn't fit i called fi and they said they would send me longer struts if i wanted, but it ended up fitting ok.

Quick Reply: F4i cage problems