Sprocket/RPM ratio question......LOOK!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:17 AM

Tdeal28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sprocket/RPM ratio question......LOOK!!!!

Okay, everyone knows that for every -1 tooth in the front sprocket is about the same as adding +3 teeth to the rear sprocket......

Let say you have two (2) of the SAME EXACT bikes....hmmm lets say F4i's.

Bike one: is geared -1 front, and +5 rear.

Bike two: is geared stock front, and +8 rear.

These two bikes have diffrent physical gears, But the outcome of the gearing is still comprobable to one another. (b/c -1 is pretty close to adding +3 in the rear)

Here's my question: Will the diffrent gearing have an effect on the bikes given RPM at a given speed? Ex. Both bikes geared as I stated and are doing 45mph, will the bikes be at the same RPM or diffrent?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:21 AM

B.T. is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sprocket/RPM ratio question......LOOK!!!!

The bike geared -1 will have the higher RPM b/c the motor will have to spin the front sprocket faster to maintain the 45 mph.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:28 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Tdeal28
Okay, everyone knows that for every -1 tooth in the front sprocket is about the same as adding +3 teeth to the rear sprocket......

Let say you have two (2) of the SAME EXACT bikes....hmmm lets say F4i's.

Bike one: is geared -1 front, and +5 rear.

Bike two: is geared stock front, and +8 rear.

These two bikes have diffrent physical gears, But the outcome of the gearing is still comprobable to one another. (b/c -1 is pretty close to adding +3 in the rear)

Here's my question: Will the diffrent gearing have an effect on the bikes given RPM at a given speed? Ex. Both bikes geared as I stated and are doing 45mph, will the bikes be at the same RPM or diffrent?
Its the same.

Some people will tell you otherwise but those are the people that didnt pay attention in high school physics and didnt take physics in college.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:54 AM

hndarida4life is an unknown quantity at this point

bigger front ,smaller back>>>>> top speed
smaller front, bigger back>>>>>more acceleration
Old 02-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeM
Its the same.

Some people will tell you otherwise but those are the people that didnt pay attention in high school physics and didnt take physics in college.
My 4 year degree agrees with you. They will run the same RPM.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:11 PM

Okay, Now will one bike be "Smoother" as far as throttle input goes vs. the other?

I am just trying to figure out if there really is a diffrence to going with a -1 front or making up the diffrence off the -1 front with a 3 tooth larger sprocket in the rear......
The only two diffrences I could possibly think of would be the RPM thing and maybe the twitchyness/smoothness off the gearing....
Old 02-23-2006, 05:49 PM

Lotus is an unknown quantity at this point

should be the same
Old 02-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tdeal28
Okay, Now will one bike be "Smoother" as far as throttle input goes vs. the other?

I am just trying to figure out if there really is a diffrence to going with a -1 front or making up the diffrence off the -1 front with a 3 tooth larger sprocket in the rear......
The only two diffrences I could possibly think of would be the RPM thing and maybe the twitchyness/smoothness off the gearing....

No, they will be the same bike. You can not tell the difference between the two.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:11 PM

tim 67 is an unknown quantity at this point

i thought it would rev higher with a smaller front sproket sense it would have to spin faster, guess you learn something new everyday.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:16 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MikeM
Its the same.

mr. m is correct
Old 02-24-2006, 04:23 PM

ripley311 is an unknown quantity at this point

the main thing to consider in gearing is the ratio. that is back sprocket divided by front sprocket. for example a 45 15 combo results in a 3 to 1 ratio. a 48, 16 combo results in the same 3 to 1 ratio. this means that with either combo with every three front gear revolutions the wheel will turn once. therefore they will run the same speeds at the same RPMS.
the front sprocket teeth equaling 3 rear sprocket teeth is a rule of thumb. it is not always acurate, but its pretty close. this is because most bikes run near 3 to 1 ratio stock.

there is also the minor considerations of overall mass and rotating mass. a smaller front and smaller rear will weigh less( but very little). the will also have different rotating masses and this can change torque transfer(smoothness). I would completely ignore this however because the difference would be something like 0.05 tooth difference on a sprocket.

Chain wear should also be considered. going smaller in the front will cause increased chain wear because of the tighter radius. so as long as going up more in the back does not requre a much more expensive chain it is cheaper in the long run to go with stock sized front sprockets.

by the way 2 four year degrees and working on my Phd.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:26 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

the larger rear on the other bike makes up for the front so it still has to spin faster...

it's just math... the final drive ratio is the same, dosent matter how you get it that way.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ripley311

Chain wear should also be considered. going smaller in the front will cause increased chain wear because of the tighter radius. so as long as going up more in the back does not requre a much more expensive chain it is cheaper in the long run to go with stock sized front sprockets.

This was the main reason why I was just going to go with a 3 tooth bigger sprocket in the rear instead of going with a -1 front. After I was thinking about it I thought maybe there might be a few other slight diffrences....

EVERYONE.....check this site out (if you ride an F4i)

You can put in diffrent sprocket ratio's and change the wheel/tire/final drive ratio of the tranny ect to compare a 100% stock F4i vs. a F4i that just has a gearing change or more. It will tell you how much Torque you gain by the sprocket change and an estimated top speed for each gear....Stock vs. Geared...

http://jesture.com/misc/f4igearingform.php
Old 03-13-2006, 09:29 PM

fmf400ex03 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok after reading this it makes me wounder at what point in gearing, lets say changing the front and rear from stock will make second gear after changing the gearing the same as 1st gear was when stock?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:54 PM

georger6 is an unknown quantity at this point

the differance between the two will be sooo miniscule you wont be able to tell the differance
Old 03-14-2006, 10:27 PM

Holmes is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a f4 and want to gaear it for slow stunts. anyone know what would be a good size?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by Holmes
I got a f4 and want to gaear it for slow stunts. anyone know what would be a good size?
i hear darius imports his from china, but a standard size would probably work
Old 03-16-2006, 12:06 PM

Holmes is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah but then i would have to clutch the hell out of it from a stop to get it up its only a 600
Old 03-16-2006, 12:09 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Holmes
yeah but then i would have to clutch the hell out of it from a stop to get it up its only a 600
thats exactly what you're supposed to do
Old 03-17-2006, 05:41 PM

Ando is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Sprocket/RPM ratio question......LOOK!!!!

Originally Posted by fmf400ex03
ok after reading this it makes me wounder at what point in gearing, lets say changing the front and rear from stock will make second gear after changing the gearing the same as 1st gear was when stock?
yea but think how tuchy 1st will be

Quick Reply: Sprocket/RPM ratio question......LOOK!!!!