Video editing tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:56 PM

glingglo is an unknown quantity at this point
Video editing tips

i just use windows media but i guess its a bit ltd

What software do you use?

what do you like to see in a stunt clip?

what music do you like to hear?

What dont you like to see in a stunt clip?

answers on a postcard to Glingglo @ blue peter

ps my clips always go on to long gonna shorten em so i can get em up on here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3399.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	175185  
Old 07-09-2006, 06:04 PM

Sparks! is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Video editing tips

I love video editing, I think I am relatively good at it if I have decent footage.. not brilliant but I think I'm okay, only because I had a really really good teacher (you know who you are!)

I use Sony Vegas 5.. haven't found better, it never crashes, it's easy to use once you get the hang of it too and I find it clean and tidy lay out makes it nice to use..

Few tips, cut clips down to the bit you want to show.. don't show a bike riding to/from the camera unless you're trying to make a statement with it... it makes videos longer than they need to be..

Try and film at different locations, save footage and edit into one video rather than making lots of small videos (this mistake I made, but have since learnt to wait for better footage) try and mix things up too..

Video length, personally I get bored after a couple of mins unless the video is really good.. keep videos short ish.. 2-3-4 mins really.. I prefer videos around 3-3.5mins long provided the footage warrants a video that long...

Music... pick your music FIRST and edit the footage to the music, so it flows, matches with the music and that way the music will enhance the video, not detract from it.

Special effects often ****.. stupid negative etc type effects, YAWN.

I personally thing most fades/wipes **** too, just a simple clean cut and appropriate fades look far better in my opinion.

Save your videos for optimum play back quality with a relatively low file size.. I prefer the 512mbps setting in Vegas.. videos don't need to play full screen, just makes the quality worse or the file size higher!

Be inventive with your camera work.. film from different angles, try to keep camera steady as theres nothing worse than shakey footage...

don't use "fillers".. if you haven't got enough quality footage, wait.. another bad habit I used to have...

Practice.. as with anything, you'll only get good at something by practicing, there are no two ways about it, if you want to be good at anything whatsoever you have to practice , there are no short cuts

Hope it helps.

p.s.. the above is just really my opinions/likes/editing style.. it's by no means gospel.. they aren't rules.. just what I think makes a good video.

Last edited by Sparks!; 07-09-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:11 PM

Sparks! is an unknown quantity at this point

p.s I love your bike and your practice spot
Old 07-09-2006, 07:18 PM

Veggie Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glingglo
What software do you use?
Sony Vegas.

what do you like to see in a stunt clip?
Everything except people talking bollocks, trying to act hard or 'gangsta' (especially white people saying '*****' and other wannabe gangsta crap) etc.

what music do you like to hear?
What ever works, rather than whatever everyone else uses. Every single vid you see these days is a poor imitation of the vid it was copied from, which in turn was a rip off of the last clip the editor saw before he did that one. It's a vicious circle, but there isn't a shred of originality or imagination in 99.9% of the vids that are out there any more.

What dont you like to see in a stunt clip?
See above, plus repetitive crap like someone doing 50 circles. Technically impressive, but after the first two rotations does anyone actually give a flying ****?

Oh, and crap that's the visual equivalent of 'What I Did On My Holidays' by Micky Merkill aged 12 3/4s. All that tedious filler that every damn DVD is absolutely rammed full of these days.

Here's some advice for film content - shut the **** up and ride.

Last edited by Veggie Dave; 07-09-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:27 PM

Oh yeah, I also like to see a little pride in the technical quality of the editing, filming and DVD authoring, too. FFS! There's two 'big' titles I can think of that are technically awful - one's full of dropped frames, and the other's a DVD of individual MPG2 files badly stuck together.

If you want people to spend their hard earned cash on your DVD then at least put some ****ing effort into making sure it all works properly and looks right.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Back on the attack.

Ruffneck Films is an unknown quantity at this point

Some fine advice has been given right here, but to be honest its a very difficult subject to comment on. You will never everyone with your choice of music and edit style. You`ll also find that people will say its great even when they think its crap cus they don`t wanna offend. As for the DVD`s, when something comes along that is original you spot it a mile off. The real problem is that everyone will have an opinion and most will be different, like i said earlier you just can`t please everyone.

Dave when is PA2 gonna be ready?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:42 AM

glingglo is an unknown quantity at this point

ok here goes

i like to see somethin new in a stunt film, that takes it a bit further like i recently saw a euro film where the guy got off a twelve to park but instead he walked the bike around him one handed holdin the bar break.... well different well cool........

i also like origonal filmin styles-a bit artsy- but not up ****.... i think stuntin can go a long way with this aproach as it is more accessable to the norms!!

music well everythin from the last 200 to 300 hundred years i mean drum n bass, death metal, chamber music anythin with a bit of fire in it cos lets face it thats what makes the engines run!

i tell i hate the gangsta thang i mean come on shootin people and all that ***** they prob ring up thier mums to go for tea after shootin the film....

i also dont like stunters that cant do nothin but slow circle wheelies like everything else goes to ***** because they gotta get those combos... its not exciting

if you have not watched this clip yet ( i bet most have) this is what i like

Its E-Dub http://www.twbcompany.com/vid/BLACK.wmv
Old 07-10-2006, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by VBSX Mark T
Dave when is PA2 gonna be ready?
God knows...
Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Random User

kolour-me-carbo is an unknown quantity at this point

The BLACK.clip is the shizzle, low level angles done good. The grain looks a bit am, but the footage is awsome. I could happily watch an entire DVD of jumping street stuff (steps n kerbs, loading bays) and landing in a wheelie combo. Thats the future right there! that stuff rocks no matter how its presented.

Black n white, high contrast footage with a single element of colour picked out is a super cool edit trick, but you'll need Adobe after-effects for that tech. The cut-out work on Joe vertical's(I think) JD-3 segment is quality vid skillz too.

Get a super8 cam for dreamy sunny day filming.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by kolour-me-carbo
Black n white, high contrast footage with a single element of colour picked out is a super cool edit trick, but you'll need Adobe after-effects for that tech.
Vegas can do it, too.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:18 PM
The RISK Club

GHOSTIE is a decent person

Lots Of Good Advice Taken.... But Here Is Some Of My Own, I Think Editing Is Like Riding, Every One Adopts Their Own Style. So The Best Advice I Can Give Is Do It For Your Self The Way You Like It And If Others Like It Too Then Its A Bonus....
And Practice Makes Perfect, Ive Made Another One Today, Mostly The Same Footage But Different Tune And Editing (best To Play Arround So You Get Used To The Program)
Old 07-10-2006, 06:25 PM

Urban Terrorist is an unknown quantity at this point

How much is this Sony Vegas gear?An I take it you can blank out number plates? cos That's the main thing I need for my clips!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Urban Terrorist
How much is this Sony Vegas gear?
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...ct.asp?PID=965

An I take it you can blank out number plates? cos That's the main thing I need for my clips!!!
Oh, it can do so much more than just that...
Old 07-11-2006, 05:50 PM

Urban Terrorist is an unknown quantity at this point

How much?!!!!!!

Bugger that