CRF450 Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Dave 321 is a decent person
CRF450 Maintenance?

Hi,

Soon enough, I plan on getting a CRF450, sticking some 17" wheels on it and using it for commuting, and maybe poor attempts at stunting...

But could anyone shed some light on how much maintenance a bike like this would need if I were to use it on the road? Same goes for a WR426 or just anything in this range generally, I hear people saying a lot about valve clearances and all that and it just makes the idea of getting one quite unappealing to me...

Thanks, Dave
Old 08-22-2008, 04:55 PM

bias_swede is a decent person
Re: CRF450 Maintenance?

Originally Posted by Dave 321
Hi,

Soon enough, I plan on getting a CRF450, sticking some 17" wheels on it and using it for commuting, and maybe poor attempts at stunting...

But could anyone shed some light on how much maintenance a bike like this would need if I were to use it on the road? Same goes for a WR426 or just anything in this range generally, I hear people saying a lot about valve clearances and all that and it just makes the idea of getting one quite unappealing to me...

Thanks, Dave
Highly recommend the 450. Iīve got an -03 CRF450R HM and havenīt stopped smiling since I first laid my hands on it. Easy to to ride and shitloads of torque. Wheelies from 1st to 5th gear (i.e no problem wheelie in 60mph in 5th without the clutch).
Maintenance? Hmm, itīs a performance bike and with performance bikes comes "quality-time" in the garage if you want to keep the bike in shape (and avoid serious engine breakdown). I have my 5-10-15 hour routine. Engine- and gearbox oil change every 5 hour + oil filter. Air filter every 10 hour (depending on the wheather sometimes more often...) Checking and if necessary adjusting the valves every 15 hour. Keep in mind that this is for the -03 HM version of the CRF450R which is a mx bike with street tires, later models have a couple more running hours in them before the recommended maintenance.
If you like pulling wheelis and stunting, spending time in the garage, and not ridin faster than 70mph, the CRF450 is your bag of chips.
Otherwise I would recommend something like a KTM640 or 625 if youīre planning on commuting (and do some stunting...) as well and not spend that much time in the garage. Donīt get me wrong, the CRF is a genuine quality machine but as I said earlier, itīs a performance bike and it requires some touch, love and care.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 PM

Dave 321 is a decent person
Re: CRF450 Maintenance?

Originally Posted by bias_swede
Highly recommend the 450. Iīve got an -03 CRF450R HM and havenīt stopped smiling since I first laid my hands on it. Easy to to ride and shitloads of torque. Wheelies from 1st to 5th gear (i.e no problem wheelie in 60mph in 5th without the clutch).
Maintenance? Hmm, itīs a performance bike and with performance bikes comes "quality-time" in the garage if you want to keep the bike in shape (and avoid serious engine breakdown). I have my 5-10-15 hour routine. Engine- and gearbox oil change every 5 hour + oil filter. Air filter every 10 hour (depending on the wheather sometimes more often...) Checking and if necessary adjusting the valves every 15 hour. Keep in mind that this is for the -03 HM version of the CRF450R which is a mx bike with street tires, later models have a couple more running hours in them before the recommended maintenance.
If you like pulling wheelis and stunting, spending time in the garage, and not ridin faster than 70mph, the CRF450 is your bag of chips.
Otherwise I would recommend something like a KTM640 or 625 if youīre planning on commuting (and do some stunting...) as well and not spend that much time in the garage. Donīt get me wrong, the CRF is a genuine quality machine but as I said earlier, itīs a performance bike and it requires some touch, love and care.

Thanks for the reply, man, appreciated.

I'm not really looking for a bike to maintain.. or.. love, as some may say I just don't feel like taking it apart once every week.

I'd love a ktm, but I untill I get the money I have to wait, but I'm pretty tempted by one.