thinking of getting sm ktm or drz400sm

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:33 PM

RacePirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: thinking of getting sm ktm or drz400sm

I have a 1507cc hayabusa, you saying that the 550 aprilia is fun gp?????? It's all relative to how you ride and what you need. I love the DRZ for what I use it for, more power wouldn't help much me much since I just play around on it, usually 20-35mph. Not to mention the Z is a lot cheaper.........
Old 10-19-2006, 01:14 PM

gp637 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look, I know any bike can be fun. I have ridden supermotos for years and have plenty of hours on the DRZ. It's a fun bike and I'm not knocking it. But that being said, the SXV is the best supermoto I've ever ridden. It has plenty of power, great handling, awsome brakes, and not to mention that it's the best looking bike out there.

If you're looking for a bike to just stunt, the DRZ is fine and a blast to ride. If you're looking for an all around great supermoto for either back roads or the track, then very few will compare to the Aprilia. I guess the draw back is the price. I know, I'm currently waiting for about $800 worth of parts as a result of a wheelie that went terribly wrong. But again, not knocking the DRZ, it's a fun bike, just not on par with the SXV.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:43 AM

-whisky- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gp637
it's the best looking bike out there.
Ya lost me there, looks dont mean ish to me brah

if its for the streets, who fargin cares how fast it is? you can take it 2 ways, drz for around 6k + 2k upgrades = 8k at least to equal an exotic for at least 8k...same ish cept exotics arent bullitproof and alot more time and $....

if you really want speed, get a honduh450.....

sorry, i dont equate the "pose" factor in my calculations, talk to your bois at bucks about that
Old 10-22-2006, 03:57 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

I want the 400sm so bad
Old 10-22-2006, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by nags
I want the 400sm so bad
Do it

I actually felt bad after buying mine since it was such a dog out the dealership. Slow as fvck, running way too lean and always probs starting even with teh choke.

My bro has one and re-jetted + fcr39 carb = still garbage

Now I know it's really the pipe.

I trashed all the smog, re-jetted, 3x3 and went with the offroad stainless yosh full system. The yosh imo did it for me. My buddy i mentioned above traded with me and his doesnt even touch mine. That actually suprised me considering he has the new fcr....but it confirmed how bad the stock pipe is.

Take this into consideration too if you end up buying one. I'm no pro or nothin but another buddy of mine has the same bike but his pipe is the yosh stainless but not the offroad....not sure the exact difference as far as performance but his seems restrcited and by my own test rides, the offroad version is at least a step or 2 ahead with power. I have a bunch of spark arresters it came with for legal offroading and street but I run it open on the streets...sounds mean but more importantly, gives me the torque i need for the streets and freeways too.

best mod are bark busters, i crashed about 6 times on the track and 6 times on the street, never a problem, minimal "evidence", just get up and keep riding

Last edited by -whisky-; 10-22-2006 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:28 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Friend of mine had one that I ride more than him.. Was bone stock other than the 3x3mod and rejetting and the thing was nice.. I used to ride it all the time.. 4th gear on the streets all day.. Never ever had a prob starting

pic from the night we got the thing.. damn I want one
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	182272  
Old 10-22-2006, 04:43 AM

Friend of mine had one that I ride more than him.. Was bone stock other than the 3x3mod and rejetting and the thing was nice.. I used to ride it all the time.. 4th gear on the streets all day.. Never ever had a prob starting

pic from the night we got the thing.. damn I want one
Did he do the idle mod? Everyone I talk to has the same prob with too lean/starting issues..

here's a couple of pics, first is my kid, second is an old one from 8 months ago before any performance mods cept the taillight that gives me +5 hp

Old 10-22-2006, 04:44 AM

I did all the work on it and I didnt do the idle mod.... Never even heard of it
Old 10-22-2006, 04:46 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

the 450 is way better
Old 10-22-2006, 04:52 AM

I did all the work on it and I didnt do the idle mod.... Never even heard of it
ya, its part of the emissions ****......get a thin sheetrock screw and meticulously drill a COUPLE of threads into the cap...then yank it out of the hose slowly. thats as far as Ive got, theres some other mod to this for circle wheelies but i need to get to circle wheelies first
Old 10-22-2006, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by liduno
the 450 is way better
It's not even the same kind of bike.. Thats like comparing a harley to a ninja250
Old 10-22-2006, 05:08 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

its a super moto
Old 10-23-2006, 12:46 AM

gp637 is an unknown quantity at this point

cool, so now you've done an exhaust and all the other mods....that puts you around $8K, right? That's what I spent on my SXV and it's putting out 72 horse. You're at what, 40?????
Old 10-23-2006, 10:01 PM

FLaT TiRe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just get a KTM...Once you do motor work to the DRZ just to keep up with the KTM, your gonna have to maintain it like a KTM.

Just keep the oil changed in the KTM and it will be fine.
btw. : it only take 30 min to change the oil.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:37 AM

Peeweesp is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a ktm, 620 Lc4 I change the oil like every 2000 miles, makes more hp than the drz weight is about even only problom is mine isnt motarded (DOH) took a lot of the same mods to make my ktm better. i.e. FCR carb, exhaust, remove emissions garb. I mean for the street i dont see buying a race bike, yet the power of them is so apealing@!