SuperMotard Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 04:07 PM

Big Daddy T is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow SuperMotard Q's

What made you decide to go with the SuperMotard bike for stunting over other bikes?

Supermotards have interested me for awhile now, but I guess I don't completely "get it." Help me to understand!
Old 01-27-2005, 04:15 PM

Re: SuperMotard Q's

EDIT:

I better add a few more questions and comments...

Is it the supermotards ride height that makes it such a beast in the tight corners? Or is there more to it (besides the power curve of the thumpers)

Is the biggie on supermotards the fact that they have so much suspenion travel? Thats the one that I havent figured out. From my understanding the suspension is firmer, so wouldnt that pretty much limit the suspension travel?

Also, I'm just thinkin' here, but do you ever think small v-twins will ever find a place in supermotard bikes?

I've been doing more and more searches on why supermotards are great bikes, but I never find that answer that just makes me say, "oh crap, well duh."
Old 01-27-2005, 11:17 PM

S won is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: SuperMotard Q's

First, the only thing you can drag on a Supermotobike is your knee and the pegs. The ground clearance IS a plus. To my mind it has to have something to do with the CG (center of gravity). You would think with everything being higher it wouldn't handle as well, but it does. Even with the firmer suspension you still have 8 or 9" of suspension travel. Potholes, 2X4s, unintentional off-road excursions (within reason) do not matter. The bikes just soak it up. I once drove my front wheel into a 3' ditch and simply got off and pushed it out. I can practially pick it up by myself. The one thing I really like is the fact that you can be more upright with the bike leaning over more than you are. If you've ever watched a Supermoto race, you'll know what I mean. Stick your foot out dirt track style and hold the bike down and carve the turn. You are up on the side of the seat with your hands below you holding the handlebars down. This makes it possible to be right at the edge of the tires.

Once when I was out on the bike a guy on a new R1 was ******* around me, showing off. I blew around him in traffic and he returned the favor by FLYING past me. He proceeded to get caught 3 cars up from me in traffic, on a 4 lane. Both lanes were backed up about a mile at a slow stoplight. The shoulder was very loose gravel. I just waved as I FLEW past him. The nice police officer put on his lights but he was also totally land locked in a sea of vehicles. I was gone before they knew what was happening. Once you see the look on someone's face as you put a leg out a take a 90 degree turn in front of them, at full tilt. You'll never forget that look!

The power to weight ratio is very good. Yes at 300lbs it's a bit on the heavy side but, to put it simply, the bike turns in better than any sportbike I have ever ridden, ever could. I don't know why, but it just does. It also feels lighter than 300lbs. Again, I don't know why!

KTM is producing a new model bike called the 950 Supermoto. It isn't coming to the US this year. It's not quite the same thing to me. The engine is just too big. I don't believe it could hang with the 625. The great thing about the SMC is the 625 thumper engine. My bike is getting an Akrapovic exhaust and a new race cam, soon, very soon! Then look out!
S won
Old 01-28-2005, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'll be looking forward to more.

I too saw that KTM SM. I like everything but the $7,300.00 price tag.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:30 AM

Yeah Big Daddy T,
That scared me away too! Then I found my used '04 SMC for $4700. It only had 2112 miles on it so it wasn't really even broken in yet. I grabbed it up. The dealer had a 2002 KTM Duke II sitting right beside the SMC but he was asking $5500 for it. I fiqured the SMC was a better bike at a sweeter price. I was right! Best money I ever spent on a bike.

If you have an more questions, just ask. I'll be checking this forum. I want to learn to wheelie the thing. My daughter has a Yamaha PW80YZinger that she is letting me borrow to learn on, as soon as the weather breaks here in the mountains!

If you want to talk about hot rod Harleys. I'm building a killer 125rwhp '98 Buell S1W Black Lightning. With only a 76" engine it eats custom Harleys with big bore engines for lunch! You ought to see the looks on their faces! Priceless!

Later,
S won
Old 01-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Have you seen the latest that HD did to the Vrod? It's... interesting. I kinda like it.

As for buying a used bike; I'm all for it but I rarely can find a good deal. Alot of dealers around here expect you to buy a bike that they have to order (even without you ever seeing the damn thing). How nuts is that?

Oh, as for the wheelies. You'll get them down pretty quick. The thing that got me to learn them the quickest is when my dad said, "don't be afraid to fall; you'll learn quicker with no fear." Made sense, and works. Now I'm just working on the looooong wheelies and thats all about finding the balance point and holding it.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:57 AM

Yes, I saw the new Harley Street-Rod. That's what they're calling it. It's a cool bike but that thing has to weigh 650#. Not something you can really toss around in the twisties. It would handle a stock Buell on the straights but once in the tight turns, the lighter Buells would outdistance it quickly.

The Buell can be made into a very fast bike. But with an older 2-valve Sportster engine you're really behind the 8-ball from the start. You have to really want to do it, also. That's one of the things I like about the bikes though. Doing something with nothing has always appealed to me. My '98 S1W Black Lightning is getting a few new parts. I'll list them below along with some other mods I have done.

NRHS Stage 3 2004 XL1200R CNC-Ported dual-plugged heads
Axtell 1250cc Nikasil cylinders
10.5:1 CR CP/Hurricane pistons
.585" lift Red Shift cams
S&S roller rockers
Buell XB head breathers
NRHS Hurricane adjustable pushrods
Zippers pushrod tubes
Jims HydroSolid lifters
Buell race intake manifold
Mikuni HRS45 carb
Yost Tube Extender jet kit
NRHS Signature Series race header
NRHS billet front engine mount
Fisher engine dampner
Scotts billet oil filter
Banke reversible 'GP style' shifter
CRG adjustable billet hand levers
KTM lightweight aluminum 7/8" handlebars
KTM Duke II mirrors
Performance Machine/Buell Racing 'ultra rare' dual 6-piston calipers
Braking USA dual front wave rotors
Performance Machine 4-piston rear caliper
Braking USA rear wave rotor
Nissin dual disc brake mastercylinder
Marchesini wheels
Westco gel battery
Carbonfiber fenders

The bike also has numerous titanium fasteners and updated Buell parts. We are hoping to get 125rwhp on the dyno this spring. I might try a dyno shootout at one of the local Harley rallys this year. The heads are the trick pieces. They flow big numbers and have all the trick parts, hollow ground SS oversized valves, which are as light as titanium valves, Ti keepers, barillum or some other super cool element valve guides, etc...

Yeah, used bikes can be hard to find. Last year I bought a 1995 Buell S2 Thunderbolt to rebuild. It turned out that I didn't really like the bike after I got it, so I parted it out and made a ton of cash that I use to buy my KTM and parts for my S1W. I was also able to pay my scooter off. I made close to $10,000 on the bike and I only paid $3400 for it. I'm looking for another one to part out.

Yet it would be easier to learn if you weren't afraid to crash. I high-sided a sportbike once years ago an shattered my clavical a dislocated my shoulder. I've never been the same.
I'm not afraid. I'm just getting old!
Later,
S won
Old 01-30-2005, 03:35 PM

Sounds like you've got quite a machine.

I'd run out and get a buell, but I simpley don't look right on one. I mean, imagine a 6' 255 pound dude on a buell. Heh...
Old 01-30-2005, 10:55 PM

I'm 5' 10" at about 190lbs, so the Buell fits me pretty well. I like the Buells. The Japanesee bikes don't really appeal to me because they change them so much from year to year. You're always chasing something nicer with more power. The Buell is what it is!
S won