Newbie Here

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 12:52 PM

Wheelie Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by BetoWzp
how much do these disc brakes cost?
and do they fit on any bike?

lol, if you want one on a bmx bike, dont even ask, I wanted to get one, I called up a bike shop, I was shocked.... $800, they would need need to put on custom forks and ****, its not worth it, I can roll long as hell with regular brakes, so im good for a while
Old 01-11-2004, 04:30 PM

covertwar is a decent person
Originally posted by Frogger
covert is right in a way, but I lock the front to get it up, and then release it and feather it to keep the wheel spinning. Disks work the same way, just more squeezing power on the disk, and different pad compounds (sintered for me) help the grip and slip. The same type of force is being applied to the wheel, wether it be a smaller force from the rim, or a disk mounted directly to the hub.
Yeah, but only I'm totally right, the disc brake system was made for stopping, and you will notice that it is easier to with discs, less pulsating is required
Old 01-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Frogger is an unknown quantity at this point
you are correct covert, and less effort on the lever too to stop. I can lock the wheel up on mine with 1 sometimes 2 fingers!

But your bike needs to be built for disk brakes. Your fork needs mounts, and your frame does too. You also need special hubs that have a mount for the disk as well. I don't believe they are available for BMX, but a lot of more expensive mountain bikes, such as mine, come stock with them.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:03 PM

Beto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really nice
Dayyyuuuummm $800
too much for me
Old 01-29-2004, 01:19 PM

StunterForLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Newbie Here

Originally Posted by Frogger
like covert said, disk brakes are preferable, I have them and love them. However it is possible to do endos with side pull calipers. I've done endo's with those no problem, you just have to bounce the bike up a little more, not just relying on the power of the brakes.
you dont have to have disk brakes, them are just money not needed, espicially when ur damn good and can bend those fukin odyssey hazard rims, lol, u can do any kinda stoppie with side caliper brakes, they just gotta be touchy
Old 01-29-2004, 02:04 PM

EndoPro is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just hearing a bunch of static in the background from all these guys... all you really need to do endo's is a sense of balance, and front pegs.

Put pegs on the front (and back), and with some experimenting you can do lots of stuff. I have crappy *** horseshoe brakes on my Trek Subvert 1.0g BMX, and they aren't strong enough to lift the front of the bike on their own, but if I put a foot on the front peg and lean forwards a bit I can roll endo's a long way.

What I like to do is ride along, get up to speed, and then put one leg through your arms over the handlebars, and then stick it down on one of the pegs. Then I lean my weight onto that leg and gently! pull the front brake. If you do it right the back wheel will come up a foot or so, but any higher and you'll have to lean back quite a way or you'll loop it. Sure they aren't the highest endo's, but you can roll them nice once you can balance, and crashing isn't a problem because you've got one foot over the bars to catch the bike with if you go to far... Just don't can yourself..

I'm 6'3, so that is easier for me than some. I don't know how tall you are, but I figured out a way to do easy EASY endo's, one handed infact, that doesn't require fancy brakes OR putting your legs over the handle bars:

It's simple: (assuming you have both front and back pegs) Take one foot (i'm most comfortable with my left) and put it on the front peg. Then take your other foot and put it on the back peg. (Note: it doesn't matter what order you do it in, but I find learning to balance on 1 foot on the front peg while reaching around for the back one helps improve my skill) Once you get your feet on the front and back pegs like I said, just start to pull the front brake... Since your weight is all going to be on your front foot, cuz you're stretching the whole length of the bike, the rear end should come up with very little effort.

As for doing it one handed: Remember that foot on the front peg? Well press your knee against the handle bars, that way when your weight shifts forwards as you go up into the endo, it isn't pushing on your wrists, its pushing on your knee instead. That means you can lift your right hand off the grip and do whatever with it,cuz your holding yourself up with your knee.

In a regular endo, you'd normally have all your weight on the handle bars by the time you got the rear wheel up, so if you took your right hand off the bars, all your weight would be pushing on the left hand. What happens when you push the left handgrip? The bars turn left. What happens when you do that during an endo? You crash.

Anyways, the bottom line is get a sturdy BMX with 4 good pegs (get the ones with grip on them, not grinding pegs) and just practise! I garuntee, if you put your mind to it, and just practise every day, don't give up, and be creative! then you'll be doing all kindsa **** in no time. Worked for me.

As for what kinda bike to get.. I dunno, but not wal-mart. 350$ is what I would pay, at most. As for brakes, yes, discbrakes are nice but they take a while to brake in, and they don't have the power of V-brakes. Get V brakes if you can, they're excellent for doing wheelies incase you start to go over backwards, they'll lock the tire and bring you right up forwards again. V-Brakes are also good for endo's and stuff, but you have to practise until you're really familiar with their power. If you know your V-brakes well enough, you can feather them and roll endos.

Whatever you get, V-brakes and pegs are a must.

Peace.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:22 AM

4doubleOex is an unknown quantity at this point

I have like some 300 dollar mongoose or something with regular brakes and stoppies are alright ut rolling them is a different story
Old 02-08-2004, 12:34 AM

covertwar is a decent person

I can lift up without a brake by putting all my weight on the handlebars, but needless to say, it doesn't go very far....
Old 02-08-2004, 09:20 AM

KOTO is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Haro F4 (<--Yea I know...) and it cost me like $325 OTD. Around here the High Gear bike shop will fix your bike for free *** long as you got a sticker on the frame. You egg a rim? They'll give you a new one. Bent bars? New ones of your choice. If you ask they'll let you pick what parts you want on the bike. That's how I got all the goodies on my bike.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Regular StuntLifer

KevDog is an unknown quantity at this point

just get your bike tires hi enough so you can just sit there riding or stand there and hit the front brake when your going down and if you wanna kno how i do coast i get high enoought so you can just coast and your going to flip hit the back brakes and mostly i like just taking of me feet and just riding those hella long
Old 03-07-2004, 10:42 AM

TwiTchDME is an unknown quantity at this point

alright. i'm not trying to contradict anyone here, or be an ***... but i've been riding flatland for like 4 years or somethin like that, and i've worked at 2 different bike shops. I'm going to give you one piece of advice. If you want a quality bike, don't get it from Walmart, K-mart, Toys-R-Us, or any place like that. A good beginning bike would definately have to be a haro or a gt. for the price, they're some of the best. I personally dont like the diamondbacks, mongooses, or other bikes like that. Yes they've been around for awhile, but I just feel that haros or GT's will hold up better for stunting. you DON'T need any fancy type of brakes to do rolling endos/nose manuals. A-brakes, V-Brakes, U-Brakes... they all work fine. it just depends on how well you keep them adjusted. I really like the U-Brakes though. They seem to work really well with little maintainance for me. I run Dia-Comp 990's on my flatland bike, but then again, I ride brakeless on my street bike. If you want to get serious about learning rolling endos or whatever, you don't have to go out and get all of the "cool" stuff for your bike. If you are never going to do any spinning or real rolling tricks, you don't really need pegs. For a lot of people, they just think they look cool. Unless you buy a bike with them, then i guess it's really up to you on what you want to do. But back to learning endo's. If you have front brakes, use them. roll kind of slow, grab your front brake and push the bike forward. your body shouldn't really move forward with the bike, just bend your knees. I can do endos to almost a 12'o clock position. when i started out though, i was flipping over. but that's just a part of learning. don't be scared to crash. that's the #1 thing that people have a problem with. if you feel yourself looping over, just push the handlbars forward more, and jump over. For rolling endo's, it's a personal preference. You can tap your front brake to get the back end up, then just feather it to stay up. OR, you could just jump forward to get the back end up, and find the balance point really quick. I know quite a few people who can do brakeless rolling stoppies, farther than most of you could even comprehend. lol. and they spin them too. But once again, it's personal preference and how big of ***** you have to go and try em. if you ever have any questions about stunting or how to do a certain trick, you could PM me anytime and i'll try to help you out the best i can. i'm glad to see that so many people are starting to get into this though. and it's definatly cool that motorcycle guys are supporting it too. keep practicing and check out some of these websites to help you out!

www.pedalbmx.com
bikeflat.com
www.flatlandfuel.com
www.theflatlander.com