No BP? Do I need a different bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM

adrynalinjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
No BP? Do I need a different bicycle?

I have a F4i that I have sit down and stant up BP on lock and I am working on going past BP and slowing it down.

I have a CRF50 that has everything you could ever want from 50stunt and I can circle wheelie up or down, scrape the 12 bar etc...

BUT this Gaint brand hard tail mountain bike that I have has 0 balance point, I am either peddling like hell and pulling on the bars or I am on my *** after looping it (while dragging the back brake) I know I need to ditch the stock chen chin knobbies and get some fat maxxis street tires but what else, do I need to change the 27" wheels? Should I look for a different bike that has disc brakes or should I convert this?

Sorry for all the questions I did a search.

TIA, Zach
Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person
Re: No BP? Do I need a different bicycle?

You need a strong rear brake and seat time. I went through the same thing yesterday and found BP on my buddies Specialized Hardtail after 20 min.

Keep at it, you make BP not the machine
Old 08-07-2008, 06:24 PM
StuntStarz World First

Joe87 is a decent person

try adjusting seat height also.
With a low seat your bp feels high, high seat and its very low.
As stand and fall says, you make the bp....
Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 AM

chinagrinda is a decent person

I have a similar problem, I have a decent custom MTB with a fairly cheap Giant XC frame. Giant cross country hardtail frames do have a tricky BP, it seems the high top tube and the distance the further than average the rear wheel is behind the seat post tube make it a stable decent frame for XC but not for great for wheelies.

I promise there is a balance point somewhere up there, try being careful about your speed (not too fast or too slow- 5mph if in 2/3) and tugging back on the bars and pedal kicking up real high, lean back with straight arms, you got to lean way back to balance your pedal power without all that MC horsepower. You'll loop it a lot, or do annoying half-assed pops. Also try using a higher gear if you have an SRAM 9 speed system gears 2/3 2/4 2/5 work well. I've done 100 yard plus wheelies in 2/5.

Tires will help but BP is BP, the right tires will help you stay on it, but won't help you get on it much.

Brakes shouldn't matter as the rear V-brake should have enough power to stop you looping. Make sure they are not dragging especially on the front as this ruins the the giro effect of the front wheel spinning.

Either that or try a different frame such as a dirt jump/urban style MTB which has a more compact BMX style geometery, and a much lower downtube, which prob won't help wheelies much but will help for manuals.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Don't read this.

GundamnitPete will become famous soon enough

it's got a BP, it's just very small because it's a bicycle and there is so suspension.

keep practicing, you'll get it.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 PM
trz
Tank Danglers 4 life

trz is a decent person

lol!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM

iehotrodder88 is an unknown quantity at this point

watch and adjust the pressure you put on the pedals (just like a throttle), adjust your seat, raise it up and point in down, this will give you a platform to sit on as you wheelie.

Its really vital that you watch your pedal pressure and have rear brake skill. Just rack up some seat time and you will be floating bp mtn bike whoolies like a pro.