painting process

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:12 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: painting process

I still got Andy's tank on my bike....no dent, but I can still rock everything no tank wise.
I dont hate the can....was just upgrading.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 AM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

What? what? who? lol

haha you were too!! you told me that anyone that paints with a rattle can is a few teeth shy of a full sprocket! hahaha

why is everyone so sensitive around here?

I can't wait until I can afford to paint my bike up slick and not worry about it gettin ruined so fast. I don't even want to put my sidefairings back on yet, but I do! hee hee

My tank's done it's just dusty and dirty since pulling the tape and paper kicked that stuff all over it and, I haven't cleaned it yet. Those aren't scratches, just tape glue and dirt.....

I just need to paint the entire tank now since I put it on the bike and it's OK....Now I'll sand it all down to get rid of the tape line, then clearcoat, and go from there... The rustoleum actually worked a little bit better than the krylon in this case too. I switched to the rustoleum clearcoat on the motard and liked it better, I don't know why I didn't use their reg. paint... Krylon has that "fusion" that works killer on plastic and I think that's why I used it.....

NO matter what clearcoat I used....nothing was going to keep the orange from showing through though when you jumped the curb and dropped my motard off the trailer upside down at the ROC in the Lou though!! LOL you put the tard in motard that day... the turd too! hahaha
Name:  tankdone2-1.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  150.7 KB
Name:  tankdone2.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  145.2 KB
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 AM

looks good for work done by a backasswards redneck! :-P

in my defense on the motard....you tied it down on the trailer! hahahaha
nothin 10 cents from a rattle can wouldnt fix! lol

I gotta get with Andy and see when he's planning on spraying paint...I'm wanting to be there and paint the process....I can only get the pics at each stage, but wish I could get the exact overlap and everything he has to do to keep the kandy coat from getting dark stripes and **** like that.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 PM

PBR4life420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh that's a sick *** rattle can job right there.....
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 PM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eazenutz33
looks good for work done by a backasswards redneck! :-P

in my defense on the motard....you tied it down on the trailer! hahahaha
nothin 10 cents from a rattle can wouldnt fix! lol

I gotta get with Andy and see when he's planning on spraying paint...I'm wanting to be there and paint the process....I can only get the pics at each stage, but wish I could get the exact overlap and everything he has to do to keep the kandy coat from getting dark stripes and **** like that.
Did I? R U sure? I didn't remember that, all I remember was that every one of your straps that I touched I broke the cast piece of metal in two! LOL That KTM is a tank dude.... I didn't care really. Did I seem like I did at the time? I was definately pissed at sir squidsworth that ran into me and wasted my new ESD supermoto peg at the time tho. I still don't know why I didn't switch sides with them things and ride with Cody and you back there at Al Habroski's instead of walkin around all pissed off...

The overlap is 50/50 always when spraying paint bro. You just have to learn how to start and stop so that you don't build up from the different passes overlaping on the top and bottom of one another if you have a big enough area. You wouldn't need to worry about that on bikes. it's all about trigger and feathering it out.... maintaining a wet edge, keep your hand moving always, and just watching your overspray from hitting the **** you just sprayed unless it's really wet so that it all lays down. I don't know how long that **** maintains a wet tho either. Once you figure it all out and how fast to move your hand vs pressure you should be able to keep it smooth and built up nice and even thickness so that you get no orange peel and definately no runs holiday.

I'm sure that I could get it down in a matter of moments. It's the mixing of the material that I would have to learn not the application. ....Jou kno whhhat I'm a sayeen mang? I am very interested to learn it all too. Everyone we know does it too bro so it's not like we wouldn't have people that can do it showin us. I think pretty much all of KCMW does that don't they? What I do for a living isn't too far off. I want to watch too! So yea... pics or and pics my *** up and take me over there too! hahaha
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by jstuntlocke
Now I'll sand it all down to get rid of the tape line, then clearcoat, and go from there...
you will never be able to sand that hard line out from looking at it, its at least 3-5 mils thick. next time if you back tape like that dont paint up to the edge so you can feather it in.

The overlap is 50/50 always when spraying paint bro. You just have to learn how to start and stop so that you don't build up from the different passes overlaping on the top and bottom of one another if you have a big enough area. You wouldn't need to worry about that on bikes. it's all about trigger and feathering it out.... maintaining a wet edge, keep your hand moving always, and just watching your overspray from hitting the **** you just sprayed unless it's really wet so that it all lays down. I don't know how long that **** maintains a wet tho either. Once you figure it all out and how fast to move your hand vs pressure you should be able to keep it smooth and built up nice and even thickness so that you get no orange peel and definately no runs holiday.

I'm sure that I could get it down in a matter of moments. It's the mixing of the material that I would have to learn not the application. ....Jou kno whhhat I'm a sayeen mang? I am very interested to learn it all too. Everyone we know does it too bro so it's not like we wouldn't have people that can do it showin us. I think pretty much all of KCMW does that don't they? What I do for a living isn't too far off. I want to watch too! So yea... pics or and pics my *** up and take me over there too! hahaha
when spraying candy you want your overlap to be 75/25, and it takes a long time to get your technique down, especially when spraying kandy. mixing paint is easy, knowing what reducer for the temp and how much to add to get your paint to lay down flat takes a long time and changes with each paint line.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
hunts and stunts

Originally Posted by stock05
you will never be able to sand that hard line out from looking at it, its at least 3-5 mils thick. next time if you back tape like that dont paint up to the edge so you can feather it in.

when spraying candy you want your overlap to be 75/25, and it takes a long time to get your technique down, especially when spraying kandy. mixing paint is easy, knowing what reducer for the temp and how much to add to get your paint to lay down flat takes a long time and changes with each paint line.

As for the tape line.... pfffft, done it already once with this tank, and it was thicker the first time! If I did it once, I can do it again.

And that's why we both are interested in learning about it. I have always went 50/50 whenever spraying..... not saying your wrong, but what do you mean 75/25 you overlap 75% on the next pass, or 25%??? and what makes the candy so much diff.?
It sounds like knowing how much reducer and **** like that to mix in, is actually hard to figure out until you get used to it by trial and error. I'm sure the humidity plays a factor too besides temp to prevent blushing or surfaceous leaching.

Technique isn't a big worry of mine, it's the material knowledge that I don't know and would have to aquire over time more so than the tech. I would have it after a few projects unless I had some tricky angles or something that I didn't want to lay too much on top of itself and make a run. I have sprayed enough **** in my life I'm not at all worried about technique, Nothing can't be fixed and painting is easy!
IN fact..... and I wouldn't say this if I didn't paint new homes and commercially as well as residentially for the past 15years, but as far as painting goes.......anyone can do it.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 PM

yeah, if you can do it anyone can! lol jk

Andy tried explaining it to me, but yeah the overlap's were different, and then you have flash times were you only have maybe a 4 minute window in order to lay the next coat, otherwise you have to start over or you're done with the Kandy paint. The reducer ratio is dependent on temp, humidity,.....and when Andy explained all that I said, "OK, I'm gonna let you do it!" haha
Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 PM
hunts and stunts

NO bro, your'e right. it's true! hahahaha

That's why I sold my pitbike!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 AM

As for the tape line.... pfffft, done it already once with this tank, and it was thicker the first time! If I did it once, I can do it again.

And that's why we both are interested in learning about it. I have always went 50/50 whenever spraying..... not saying your wrong, but what do you mean 75/25 you overlap 75% on the next pass, or 25%??? and what makes the candy so much diff.?
It sounds like knowing how much reducer and **** like that to mix in, is actually hard to figure out until you get used to it by trial and error. I'm sure the humidity plays a factor too besides temp to prevent blushing or surfaceous leaching.

Technique isn't a big worry of mine, it's the material knowledge that I don't know and would have to aquire over time more so than the tech. I would have it after a few projects unless I had some tricky angles or something that I didn't want to lay too much on top of itself and make a run. I have sprayed enough **** in my life I'm not at all worried about technique, Nothing can't be fixed and painting is easy!
IN fact..... and I wouldn't say this if I didn't paint new homes and commercially as well as residentially for the past 15years, but as far as painting goes.......anyone can do it.
trust me, there is no way you are sanding out that hard line, if someone knows what they are looking for it will always be there unless you sand off everything you put down and start over.

yes 75% overlap, but everyone develops their own techniques. kandy are not hard to spray, just hard to make look good because so many things can make them look like ****, especially when shooting a car or a big panel/part. trust me there is way more to painting than just applicating for the gun alone comes: pressure, fan, amount of material, correct atomization, how the amount of material in your cup affects the way the gun sprays, gun cleaning and maintenance, etc.

when it comes to reducer most company's supply a chart of which to use with what temp and humidity, but there is still more to it than that, depending on how the material sprays you might want to add more or less than they suggest.

i could go on and on for days, but the point of my story is there is a lot more to painting than most think.

Originally Posted by eazenutz33
yeah, if you can do it anyone can! lol jk

Andy tried explaining it to me, but yeah the overlap's were different, and then you have flash times were you only have maybe a 4 minute window in order to lay the next coat, otherwise you have to start over or you're done with the Kandy paint. The reducer ratio is dependent on temp, humidity,.....and when Andy explained all that I said, "OK, I'm gonna let you do it!" haha
there are so many different variables when it comes to flash times too, temp, material you are spraying, how much material you are laying down, etc. like i said before i could go on for days, but i dont want to turn into bikerboy/excessa.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:09 AM
hunts and stunts

No, no... it's allright, things that we want to know for sure. I'm admittedly the most curious about how this **** is done right. I'll need it for base coats and clear coats app's for airbrushing......

I have sprayed countless sets of Laquered cabinets, elaborate enamel woodwork, industrial and residential applications too. like I say I actually am a painting contractor here in KC.

I only used a cup gun on one small project, but for the most part all with airless rigs. It is how I make my living tho... I would have to agree that there is alot more that goes into painting that alot of people don't really understand...

And yes, I'm sorry, but my line will be totally gone. I will have to bring the edge down and the **** that I built up on the other side will be taken down too a gradient degree towards the edge where bare metal will show where the line used to be. NO sweat, just wanted to make sure it was right before I wasted my time dickin with the whole tank, that and I wasn't sure how much time I really wanted to take this time since it's just a rattle can job anyhow.
I can live with a line honestly until it's my turn for the Kandy.... I'm sure it's gonna get a lil fucked up anyways before it's all said and done. NOt to mention crashes, but I still have to take the pump off and get whatever I knocked loose out of the tank so I didn't want to throw down any clearcoat yet.

What your'e lookin at is a cracked tank with a repaired leak that has two coats of bondo and primer, and two coats of rustoleum. You can tell that I'm totally concerened with my tape line..... LOL

Last edited by jstuntlocke; 01-24-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 PM

No, no... it's allright, things that we want to know for sure. I'm admittedly the most curious about how this **** is done right. I'll need it for base coats and clear coats app's for airbrushing......

I have sprayed countless sets of Laquered cabinets, elaborate enamel woodwork, industrial and residential applications too. like I say I actually am a painting contractor here in KC.

I only used a cup gun on one small project, but for the most part all with airless rigs. It is how I make my living tho... I would have to agree that there is alot more that goes into painting that alot of people don't really understand...

And yes, I'm sorry, but my line will be totally gone. I will have to bring the edge down and the **** that I built up on the other side will be taken down too a gradient degree towards the edge where bare metal will show where the line used to be. NO sweat, just wanted to make sure it was right before I wasted my time dickin with the whole tank, that and I wasn't sure how much time I really wanted to take this time since it's just a rattle can job anyhow.
I can live with a line honestly until it's my turn for the Kandy.... I'm sure it's gonna get a lil fucked up anyways before it's all said and done. NOt to mention crashes, but I still have to take the pump off and get whatever I knocked loose out of the tank so I didn't want to throw down any clearcoat yet.

What your'e lookin at is a cracked tank with a repaired leak that has two coats of bondo and primer, and two coats of rustoleum. You can tell that I'm totally concerened with my tape line..... LOL
with the right prep and proper application you can even make rattle can look legit. i rattle canned my last F4i black and no one believed that is was spray paint .
Old 01-26-2008, 12:13 AM
hunts and stunts

I said F it and went with a HVLP... or did I... That's it tho.. no more F'n with this damn tank for me thank goodness!

Took basically another 30 min out of my time (if I added up all the actual time sanding or spraying it would probably not even be that long) for what I did to it to take it as far as I'm gonna take it for now. NO more tape line, but it did get some lint or dust flakes in the dish right after I shot it on the second to the last coat... I said screw it cuz they should be covered anyways so who cares? IMO it turned out just fine....

Now D, hopefully you can get some progress pics up soon!!

Name:  HPIM2584.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  HPIM2583.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  117.1 KB
Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 PM

me and my painter were riding today....and 58 degrees tomorrow.....progress isnt looking great right now!
My stuffs in his garage sitting right next to the paint.....when it chills off again, and we all know it will....I'll see if we cant get some progress on it.

Nice job on the tank, for a "de te de" hahaha
Old 04-22-2008, 02:46 PM

done....gonna get the mounted up pics on this weekend after getting it out, putting surfpad on the tank and getting some seat time....til then here's the paint progress...all cellphone pics, but the ones this weekend will be with my digi.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fender base.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	208699   Click image for larger version

Name:	taped off tank.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	208700   Click image for larger version

Name:	front fender finished.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	208701   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail finished.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	208702   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished tank.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	208703  

Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM

and finished up.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	full side.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	208704   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side in truck.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	208705   Click image for larger version

Name:	side front fender repair.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	208706   Click image for larger version

Name:	side sub repair and paint.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	208707   Click image for larger version

Name:	top view.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	208708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	truck and bike back.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	208709   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck and bike side.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	208710   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck diag.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	208711   Click image for larger version

Name:	undertail.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	208712  
Old 04-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Embrace the Hate

EZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to behold

That looks pretty good...my bike has been primed and waiting for paint since the middle of winter...
Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 PM

righthooks is an unknown quantity at this point

looks sweet
Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

i likey!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 PM

Heeley is a decent person

looks good

Quick Reply: painting process