Detroit Street Ryders Photo Gallery
www.detroitstreetryders.com
Detroit, MI

Big U.P. Ride Next Year

Old 10-08-2002, 05:30 PM

Triple is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Big U.P. Ride Next Year

Okay, here's the deal--

I have been slowly trying to put together a Michigan based motorcycle touring business since early this spring. A crash in July really set me back, both physically and mentally.

However, I am still hoping to start running some actual tours late next summer. I would like to run one (maybe more) trial tours, so that's where you guys come in.

I mapped out a pretty cool route this past weekend that I would like to incorporate into a tour. It's about a 700 mile circle, and stretches from Flint to the Tehquamenon area, to the Drummond area, and back down into the lower penninsula. There is a stretch of road up north that I could not believe I actually found in Michigan-- 20+ miles of constant twisties, on clean and smooth pavement. I'm not telling anyone where it is unless they come with me.

Would anyone be interested in taking part in the mock tour? It would probably be a Friday thru Sunday type deal sometime in June or July, with lodging expenses taken care of in advance. Possibly food and entertainment, too. I need something like this to get a feel for what it's like, to give me an idea of what I'm getting into.

I'm not going to get serious until I'm sure there's enough interest in this. If enough of you want to go, I'll get started with the particulars, and we'll set up a date.

My tours will definitely be sport-oriented, so bring your 'Wings at your own risk... :D
Old 10-08-2002, 06:55 PM

chillyzf4i is a decent person
is it going to be like a cannonball run like tour or just i nice 3 day enjoy the country thing

more details please
Old 10-08-2002, 08:56 PM

the wizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Big U.P. Ride Next Year

Originally posted by Triple
There is a stretch of road up north that I could not believe I actually found in Michigan-- 20+ miles of constant twisties, on clean and smooth pavement. :D
I know where that road is...my parents had a place on Dummond Island!! As not to give away your secret... it's not on Drummond...but Drummond has all twistes as well!!:D
Old 10-08-2002, 08:57 PM

Oh and Drummond only has one cop..And I know him pretty well!!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:16 PM

THEPISTONHEAD is an unknown quantity at this point
I know a bunch of people from Homeland Sportbikes that would definetly be intrested. Keep us posted www.homelandsportbikes.com
Old 10-08-2002, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by chillyzf4i
is it going to be like a cannonball run like tour or just i nice 3 day enjoy the country thing
Well, that depends on the feedback I get from you guys. What would everyone prefer? As many twisties as possible packed into three days? Or would you rather have frequent stops, to take in the sights? I could definitely fit in some novelty shops (northern MI has plenty) and some scenic overlook type deals. Tehquamenon, Sleeping Bear, etc, etc, there are tons of places to see here. I would definitely appreaciate everyone's thoughts.

And the wizz, where is this road you're talking about? I was all over the eastern tip of the UP and I don't remember anything spectacular around that area. Pretty view along the coast, but the roads were nothing special. This road I'm talking about is just a little west of there...

But I'm open to suggestions about the route itself. If you or anyone else knows of a road that I should include or consider, let me know. I want to make these things as enjoyable as possible for everyone.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:25 AM

fastfingerjay is an unknown quantity at this point
count me in......
Old 10-09-2002, 07:06 AM

X-Rated has a little shameless behaviour in the past
got any tit bars lined up in that excursion? j/k :D
Old 10-09-2002, 08:20 AM

almightys is an unknown quantity at this point
i would be interested in the ride. i dont htink drummond has any cops. just a magistrate or something like that.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by X-Rated
got any tit bars lined up in that excursion? j/k :D
Dude, some of the places we'll be going, it's hard enough to find a gas station, let alone a strip club. I almost got stranded up along the Superior coast because I couldn't find any damn fuel. I finally came across this tiny little "convenience store" (they sell smoked fish instead of candy bars, apparently), that sold gas out of an old propane tank. I'm sure that was some high quality petrol-- but hey, I was in a bind.

So what are we thinking, here-- a twistie marathon, or a laid back three day retreat?
Old 10-09-2002, 10:50 AM

I know brotha I was just messin around. As for twisties nah I'm more of a straight away kinda fella. But.... seems like a really good ryde. I will probably be interested.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by X-Rated
I know brotha I was just messin around.
Well, I do know of this little bar just past Trout Lake that has an older lady who will suck you off in exchange for venison jerky.

You know, so I've been told, anyway. :D
Old 10-09-2002, 11:39 AM

Well I haven't been up there in a few years but If I remember correctly the road coming out of Detour heading north was full of twisties, and pretty clean pavement. But like I said it's been years. I went up there this summer but didn't head down that road. West side a? Maybe Michigan has two good roads to play???
Old 10-09-2002, 01:33 PM

Well, I do know of this little bar just past Trout Lake that has an older lady who will suck you off in exchange for venison jerky.

LMFAO!!!! Hahahahahahaha
Old 10-09-2002, 02:22 PM

fastfingerjay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I met her .......she has no teeth right
Old 10-09-2002, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by almightys
i would be interested in the ride. i dont htink drummond has any cops. just a magistrate or something like that.
Yes they do!!! I've going there all life. There is only one full time cop.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:01 PM

Does Drummond Island have paved roads? I know you can take a ferry across, but I've never been there myself. If there are good roads on the island itself, I will check them out. I will probably be running several more trips back up north by myself before I decide on the final route for the rest of you.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:07 PM

Yes they have paved roads. Lots of twisties as well. They have been repaving over the last couple of years so they are in good condition. But it doesn't last long with the harsh winters they get up there.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:08 PM

One bad thing though...lots of deer that aren't afraid of cars
Old 10-09-2002, 04:09 PM

And bear too...One of my friends hit a bear...totaled his **** out..I mean bad like he hit a wall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big U.P. Ride Next Year