Detroit Street Ryders Photo Gallery
www.detroitstreetryders.com
Detroit, MI

Anyone know how to sync carbs??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 01:47 AM

Dave33014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone know how to sync carbs??

My fuggin carbs are acting up and everything points to the being outta sync. Has anyone here done their own before, if so how hard was it and more importantly, wanna lend a hand???

I figure Ill have to buy the sync tool anyways but Id rather spend $50 for something I can keep than $100 for a fix thats bound to not last forever.

-Dave
Old 05-22-2003, 09:46 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Raybone is an unknown quantity at this point
what kind of problems are you having???? what year is your r6 and how many miles????
Old 05-22-2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Raybone
what kind of problems are you having???? what year is your r6 and how many miles????
Its a 2000, and not many miles, the original owner never used it, maybe 3500. The thing is when I stop the idle will pick up to about 3K maybe 3500 if I let out a little clutch it will go back to normal and then after another 10-15 seconds or so it will pick back up. Ive made sure the throttle returned fully and that wasnt causing it but its all the way back. It seems worse when the engine warms. Once I get off of the highway sitting at one of them damn lights its usually pretty bad. Its been jetted but somehow I doubt thats the problem, I would guess form my past experiance (mostly boats) that the carbs are wacky and one of them is giving her more gas (or less and leaning out).

Any other suggestions??? Im open for anything.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:49 PM
M50M OG

Sonicjay is a decent person
It's not usually to difficult. The sync has three or four tubes coming off of it (and sometimes a threaded adapter on each, depending on our carbs). You just attach 3 of them to your carbs (1 carb will not have a hookup - it is your reference), and adjust the fuel screws on the others to match the reference carb. While you are doing this, the mercury in the sync will be jumping up and down; you just need to make sure they average out at the same level. The last time I did this was on my old 96 RR, but it should be pretty much the same.

One irritating thing I ran into was that the fuel lines to the gas tank were not really long enough to get the tank out of the way enough to get to all the stuff I needed to on the carbs while it was running, so I had to use a makeshift fuel tank. This was before the neato tip-up fuel tanks though.

Old 05-23-2003, 12:42 AM
*#%@!

Hinks is a name known to allHinks is a name known to allHinks is a name known to allHinks is a name known to allHinks is a name known to allHinks is a name known to all
check your air and fuel screws,not one carb was adjusted the same on my 2000 R1 (good factory set up)
Old 05-23-2003, 05:13 AM

Cool, thanks for the sugestions and all, Ill have to check them tomorrow (Friday, whatever) when I wake up, I guess the weather isnt going to be cooperating with riding and I really want this fixed.

Oh and it hasnt always done that so it leads me to believe that its sync and not initial adjustments but Ill have to double check.

Today it decided to idle at 3500 so I turned down the idle when I was sitting in traffic but then the damn this would stall, so whats this about some crazy new technology ¿¿¿fuel injectors???