Can you help me decide???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 10:26 PM

Rob94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you help me decide???

I am 21 years old and have been shopping for a bike for the past 3-4 months. I have narrowed down my choices to the following.

1. 2002 Yamaha R6
2. Suzuki GSXR 600
3. Honda CBR600F4

Any opinions on which bike would be best are greatly appreciated. I have read all the posts concerning why it is a bad idea to start on a bike like the ones above but my mind has been made up. The bikes all seem to be in very good shape with about 12,000 miles on them. and the prices seem to be fair. HELP!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:30 PM

covertwar is a decent person
what do you want to do with them? stunt??
Old 01-16-2004, 11:13 PM

No stunting yet, just learning how to ride!
Old 01-17-2004, 12:49 AM

ZMurda is an unknown quantity at this point
My first bike and bike I still own to this day is a Yamaha FZR 600 and I would recomend that bike to anyone just starting out on learning how to ride. They are inexpensive you can find parts for one everywhere on e-bay (in case you crash and need parts, trust me i know!!) The FZR is a mild bike that you can trick out to make it wild and crazy fast! But hey man its just an idea to run past you. If your mind is truly set on one of those bikes you want to get go for it. Thats about the only advice i can give you.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:42 AM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
Personally I favor the yamaha's. I've always felt they are easier to ride etc... You can do anything you want on any of these three bikes, it boils down to ones preferences and how they like the looks of the bikes also.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:19 AM

Nelson is an unknown quantity at this point
My first bike was the 03 Yamaha R6 and for a starter bike it was great but after one summer of riding it, I've been dying to get get a bigger and faster bike. I don't see why anyone would suggest starting on anything smaller then a 600cc. Although if you're planning on stunting (which you will likely do when you realize how easy it is to pop up that front wheel), I understand the Honda's are cheaper to repair and take a lot more abuse then the yamy's.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:18 AM

fatstuff is an unknown quantity at this point
defintly for a 600 go with a gixxer that was my starter bike
Old 01-17-2004, 10:21 AM

hayez is an unknown quantity at this point
what do you think is a fair price? 13000 miles i wouldnt pay over 4500 for any of them..gp with the gsxr or f4i
Old 01-17-2004, 02:12 PM

Prime Time29 is an unknown quantity at this point
go with the gixer 600 its got awsome low end for a begining rider and its fast enoughto keep you happy for a while untill you get use to riding and one thing for sure take it from somebody who knows: WEAR THE GEAR IT WILL SAVE YOUR
Old 01-17-2004, 08:05 PM

ZMurda is an unknown quantity at this point
Before I even bought my bike I invested in the gear first! I would suggest you do the same. Road rash doesnt stop hurting till its completely healed up.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:27 PM

SHOWOFF is an unknown quantity at this point
The f4 is the most comfortable and very easy to learn on. And parts are a dime a dozen. That's just my $0.02
Old 01-18-2004, 06:28 PM

ViCKi SiX is an unknown quantity at this point
gsxr 600 i have one its my second bike i love it
Old 01-18-2004, 11:43 PM

GrCh35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can you help me decide???

Originally Posted by Rob94
I am 21 years old and have been shopping for a bike for the past 3-4 months. I have narrowed down my choices to the following.

1. 2002 Yamaha R6
2. Suzuki GSXR 600
3. Honda CBR600F4

Any opinions on which bike would be best are greatly appreciated. I have read all the posts concerning why it is a bad idea to start on a bike like the ones above but my mind has been made up. The bikes all seem to be in very good shape with about 12,000 miles on them. and the prices seem to be fair. HELP!!!
Honda CBR600F4. But then again, I'm a Honda guy.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Stunlife's #1 Gimp!

Shaggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Can you help me decide???

Any of those bikes will do ya fine. In my opinion the Honda has a more comfortable riding position. I'm a Suzuki guy so I partial to the Gixxers though. The Yamahas always felt a little twitchy and top heavy to me but you may love it, they also are the smallest seat height of all those listed, so if you were a smaller person it would be better for ya. Basically sit on all of them and pick the one you like the feel of the best. It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other ....they are all very nice bikes.

I don't know how anyone could say they are bad starter bikes. They are good all around and you really don't want to go smaller than a 600. Just take it easy and take baby steps in your learning. Be alert!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:14 PM
Erion 929 Pimp

DoubleRJef is an unknown quantity at this point

CBR600F4, but im a HONDA guy.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:28 AM

melampus is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Can you help me decide???

I've owned 4 Hondas, 2 Yamahas, 2 Kawasakis and 2 Suzukis over the past 13 years, and the one thing that you can always count on is the 'complete package' coming from Honda. I personally prefer gixxers, but I am willing to sacrifice comfort for comprimise. I have been awed by Yamahas, but feel more at home on a Honda. I think that for a first bike the F4 is the absolute. It will do everything well, and more importantly make you feel comfortable doing it. Don't get me wrong; they all are exceptional machines w/ their own unique feel, but the F4 is just so damn forgiving.

I think that in your perdicament where you have narrowed it to an actual three available bikes though condition as to price should be a large factor in your decision. What's the best deal? Who will negotiate? Which has the freshest tires ($275)? Modifications to any of them? Brake pads dead ($100)? Roll the bike, are the front rotors warped ($250)? Chain stretched ($150)? Are the sprocket's teeth re-curved ($150)? If it has fresh oil chances are it was maintained well. Any maintenance receipts for that matter? Check the steering stops on the frame head for a 'quick wreck check'. Bike have rubber chunks under the tail from burn-outs?... If YES, the bike was probably abused! Check the engine covers for gaskets or sealant... good way to know if it has a new clutch (w/low miles again showing abuse), or conversely if she was dropped on the left. LOOK AT HER FROM BEHIND... is the subframe bent ($300)? Stock battery ($50)?

I could go on & on about things I look for when I buy a used bike, but these should help you in the right direction.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:30 AM
I Am A StuntLife Spammer

Irideamule is an unknown quantity at this point
Chrome Stuff

Yeah, i'll help you decide get whichever one comes in chrome

http://www.alsacorp.com/CfxAuto3.html
Old 01-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Stunlife's #1 Gimp!

Shaggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow - that may be the best advice that I have read on here. Very well thought and VERY well stated. Listen to Melampus!

Oh and he's 100% right, Honda is pretty much known as "all around bikes"
Old 01-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Fuzz is a decent person

With the three that you mentioned i would def. get the gixxer. The f4 doesnt have the power that the f4i have and plus there not fuel injected. Then you got yamaha......to me those are the most uncomfortable bikes that there are! Ive had honda's, kawasaki's and suzuki's and right now i have 2 gixxers...750 and 1000 if that tells you anything...just my
Old 01-20-2004, 09:14 PM

Thanks for all the great info, i am going to the bank tomorrow to get the loan, and i'll probably end up on the honda or the gixxer depending on which one i like the most from the test drive. All the other sites were harping on me to get a 250, but you guys were cool and actually answered my question. Thanks alot!! I'll let you know which one I get in a couple of days!!

:YEAH

Quick Reply: Can you help me decide???