FootPeg Snapped in Standup

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 12:32 PM

DCMETRO1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation FootPeg Snapped in Standup

I posted this on the gixxer board but will share here as well:
Here is my story. I left for a usual stuntas ride on a Saturday around noon with two of my close friends. I was fired up because I hadn’t been able to ride for about a week due to rain. I immediately did vertical standup (2nd gear) because of traffic around 45mph. There was full blown traffic and I steered around car in front of me while in standup before putting bike down, red light was approaching. My now fired up friend splits in front of cars at light and I follow, light turns green, he picks his up and I immediately pick mine up behind him. I have a third friend behind me. Picked it up again around 45 mph and was vertical in standup for about 1 second.

I actually heard the left footpeg bolt snap as I flew towards the pavement. I am thinking to myself, oh **** that’s not supposed to happen and f’k I am going to get run over by friend and cars behind me. Keep in mind this all happen within split second, the weird thing was my anger was overwhelming as I was rolling on the pavement. I immediately jumped up and ran out of the road. At this point my friend behind me avoided running me over and avoided my gixxer doing cartwheels (about three) as he was going by. Plastic and metal from bike was flying everywhere. Also the road I was on has three lanes and thank god I was in the right most lane. Center lane would have been total disaster for me and other cars on road.

I was wearing jeans, sneakers, helmet, gloves and heavy Fieldsheer racing jacket. Jeans shreeded and I got deep cuts in my knees. The rest of the gear took a beating and the extent of my injuries was badly bloodied knees and tip of left thumb broke. I was so sore I could barely walk the first week. I only had to wear a cast for thumb for two and a half weeks.

Some things to consider. In the area I live in a lot of people ride and stunt, this past season we have had people die, get mangled and many bikes have gotten totaled. We have tried to analyze every aspect of the danger involved. I actually brought up the fact that mechanical failure can bring disaster, but it is often overlooked. I was telling my friend that although his standups are soo good what happens when you are passing two cars (in standup) with on coming semi truck in oncoming lane and motor fails or whatever… things to think about, steering in standups are fun but always have to have a way out… I have also noticed a trend whenever we go out with a group of people we don’t know things seem to happen, ever notice how the testosterone sky rockets when you are with a bunch of people you don’t know. Many people feel they have to do some new trick no one has seen that they are not capable of, sad thing is there is not much anyone who has been stunting awhile hasn’t seen.

The footpeg: My friends picked it up out of the road and there is not a scratch on it. The interesting thing is this bike was bought new in May. I had close to 6K miles on it when it broke and I wrecked. When you look at the bolt the top 20% is colored differently and you can tell that the crack had been there for some time, for how long I do not know. I would also point out that I learned standups on this bike. For about the first two months I used to bounce the whole bike to get it up, instead of just bouncing front end. This may have contributed. I will never no. I now have new jacket, pants, gloves and boots and new 02 1K. That is my story, be safe out there,
Old 12-04-2002, 12:50 PM

Soumy16 is an unknown quantity at this point
sucks to hear man, the bike totally effed? i didnt know the gsxrs footpegs broke that easily Well glad to hear your now ok
Old 12-04-2002, 02:10 PM

Mega-Tron is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that's probably my worst fear when stuntin... next to looping my ****.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:14 PM

Tick_9se7en3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm with this recent trend of footpegs breaking I'm gonna check mine out when I go through the garage later.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:22 AM

DCMETRO1 is an unknown quantity at this point
the problem is I never would have noticed their was a crack in the middle of the bolt that holds the footpeg in the rear-set
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00349.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	6815  
Old 12-05-2002, 11:26 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person
That bolt looks odd, the way it broke. I'll have to keep an eye on mine. Espsecially since I've dropped mine on the left side about a dozen times learning 180 stoppies.

Glad to hear you're not hurt. Gotta be carefull in traffic. Right place, right time kinda thing ya know.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:10 PM

jay_9se7en3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Tick_9se7en3
Hmmm with this recent trend of footpegs breaking I'm gonna check mine out when I go through the garage later.
yo...mark, we are replacing those bad boys with grade 8's. End of story. I don't want that **** happening to me, especially since come of my 3rd gear standers are +100 mph