Forks leaking, I clean them, compress by hand and the leaking stops? WTF.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 03:48 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about
Forks leaking, I clean them, compress by hand and the leaking stops? WTF.

I, today, for the first time got high as ***. I have been practicing over and over and nothing. I was at my spot when som eof the local riderscame by and did some wheelies and rolling one handed stoppied. There was a guy who had a YZF 600 (not the R6, the fat one) and he pulled a wheelie pretty ****in high......

I got pissed off and said *** this bullsh!t. I hit it and broiught the beotch up pretty high. I screamed as I am getting amped. I did it over and over and over... ... Now I can get it up high as hell and am getting to carry it for a longer distance. But I pulled over today and noticed my fork on the right side was leaking. I go to the gas station and wipe it off. It seems a little dripping is goping on. I come back home and dry it off. I grab the front brake and compress the forks a few times. The leaking stops........ WTF????

I recently adjusted the damping, preload, and spring. If that's what they are called. Do you think I made the compression too tight? If they were blown then it would "blow" the seal right? That's what all these stunters are talking about. I blew my seals doing wheelies. Whether it was dirt or not (mine are clean) do they "blow" off or something and at the edges split in diff. sections? Or does the seal look good with that wire spring holding it and leaks????

I am lost........

Can Wheelies bust fork seals or not. Many say dirt, many say wheelies. I spoke to a guy who did them himself and put new seals on his gix 1000. Did a few wheelies and the next week were blown again doing high chairs... Was it dirt? His bike is clean as ***.....

Forget him, what about mine....... Was it too compressed or to "hard" wioth the adjustments? The spring shouldn't have to much to do with it I am assuming. It mostly has to do with the one up top inside the spring adjustment. I never adjusted below by the brakes compression........

Let me know, I gave as much as I know what I did........

LATER
Old 11-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Regular StuntLifer

john john is an unknown quantity at this point
just get used to BLOWN seals
Old 11-27-2003, 10:54 AM

Melvis is an unknown quantity at this point
slamming down from wheelies=blown fork seals
Old 11-27-2003, 10:57 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, unless you land like dan jackson on that double jump, wheelies don't really "blow" fork seals, but they do make them wear out faster. fork seals leak because dirt gets in there and keeps it from holding a good seal, when you put a lot of pressure on it and there is a weak spot it's going to squeeze oil out.

mine would leak off and on as they cleaned themselves unlessi landed really hard and actually messed the forks up. don't change anything on your suspension settings. all i do is run a little bit thicker fluid but other than that, suspension isn't something that needs to be adjusted. fork seals are going to wear out, and if you have scratches on your fork tubes, even faster.

get used to changing them.....
Old 11-27-2003, 09:21 PM

Sportbike Mafia is an unknown quantity at this point
Both does dudes wheelies and dirt or both
Old 11-27-2003, 10:02 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Sportbike Mafia
Both does dudes wheelies and dirt or both
wheelies only does cause it puts pressure on the forks (fork oil compressing) so if it has dirt in it, the pressure will squeeze some out through that weakness.

i used to build suspensions for race bikes. that's a reason why i don't use rachet type tie doesn..only the pull type.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:16 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by binder929rr
wheelies only does cause it puts pressure on the forks (fork oil compressing) so if it has dirt in it, the pressure will squeeze some out through that weakness.

i used to build suspensions for race bikes. that's a reason why i don't use rachet type tie doesn..only the pull type.
What do you mean?

I hook my tie downs by the triple tree. Err, well, where the key go, right below that. They have a slot below them and hook it to the hole. Then I wratchet it down in the "holes" on the truck and compress the forks. Then I get 2 more and run them around the rear tire just in case the front ones snap off for some reason......

Do you have pictures of what you talking about.......