New Stunter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 PM

plasm800 is a decent person
New Stunter

I am about 99% sure that a million of these threads are posted every day. I'm new to this forum and to motorcycles/stunting in general. I've been riding my 2010 CBR600RR for about 2 months now, and am going to be getting into stunting soon. I have read that it is best to just get a cage and a round bar and then start stunting, then build the bike from there. I thought it would be a good idea to come here and ask advice from more experienced riders/stunters. Any advice on starting out? Places to learn? Techniques that will help me learn the right way? Any help is appreciated. I'm in The Woodlands Texas, just north of Houston if anyone wanted to actually help me in person. Thanks in advance for any help that you guys could offer.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 PM

_TWITCH_16 is a decent person
Re: New Stunter

Welcome to stuntlife, if your lookin for info this is the place. Alot of cool people on here more than willing to help out. Definitely helped me when I started. As far as parts deffinitely a cage and a either round or 12 bar, anything you can get to protect the bike because you will go down, we all do. Dont waste any expense on safety equipment either, nothings worse than getting close to where you wanna be then getting hurt and cant continue for months at a time. As far as where to start with stunts, get your wheelies down first. Practice clutchin up just enough to get your front wheel about a foot off the ground, do it till your comfortable then pop it higher and higher. once your comfortable with havin your wheel off the ground, then work on rear brake control. Pop it up, tap the brake to set it down. Keep doin it till its like second nature. then work on getting to balance point. Always cover your rear brake to save yourself in case you go too far back. Your gonna fall, make sure you climb that mental wall before-hand. Just pick it up and keep goin.
Goodluck and post progress
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by _TWITCH_16
Welcome to stuntlife, if your lookin for info this is the place. Alot of cool people on here more than willing to help out. Definitely helped me when I started. As far as parts deffinitely a cage and a either round or 12 bar, anything you can get to protect the bike because you will go down, we all do. Dont waste any expense on safety equipment either, nothings worse than getting close to where you wanna be then getting hurt and cant continue for months at a time. As far as where to start with stunts, get your wheelies down first. Practice clutchin up just enough to get your front wheel about a foot off the ground, do it till your comfortable then pop it higher and higher. once your comfortable with havin your wheel off the ground, then work on rear brake control. Pop it up, tap the brake to set it down. Keep doin it till its like second nature. then work on getting to balance point. Always cover your rear brake to save yourself in case you go too far back. Your gonna fall, make sure you climb that mental wall before-hand. Just pick it up and keep goin.
Goodluck and post progress
Thanks for the response! I always wear my gear when I ride. I have some questions about wheelies though if you don't mind answering them. I have been able to get the front wheel to come up but it seems to just drop back down almost instantly. Also, my rear tire has been spinning recently when I try to clutch it up, what could cause this? My tires appear to be okay, they aren't worn too badly.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by plasm800
Thanks for the response! I always wear my gear when I ride. I have some questions about wheelies though if you don't mind answering them. I have been able to get the front wheel to come up but it seems to just drop back down almost instantly. Also, my rear tire has been spinning recently when I try to clutch it up, what could cause this? My tires appear to be okay, they aren't worn too badly.
drop your rear tire pressure down to 8-10psi for slow wheelies, and for faster wheelies 10-15psi. that should allow your tire to grab more of the ground and get better traction. What size bike do you have and where on your rpms are you starting your clutch up? I have a 650 and i start my clutch up aroun 5K and clutch to 8-9k that usually brings it up high enough for me to play with it to get to balance point. Do you do your clutch up in a standing staggered position or sitting down? And could you be letting off the throttle when you come up?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM

drop your rear tire pressure down to 8-10psi for slow wheelies, and for faster wheelies 10-15psi. that should allow your tire to grab more of the ground and get better traction. What size bike do you have and where on your rpms are you starting your clutch up? I have a 650 and i start my clutch up aroun 5K and clutch to 8-9k that usually brings it up high enough for me to play with it to get to balance point. Do you do your clutch up in a standing staggered position or sitting down? And could you be letting off the throttle when you come up?
I just started doing wheelies about two days ago. I fixed the back tire spinning by shifting my weight back. When I get the front wheel up, it seems to drop back down very quickly. I can't sustain a power wheelie whatsoever.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM

sounds like your runnin out of rpms. When you hold a wheelie under balance point you need more and more throttle to sustain it, and eventually you run out, then it drops. Try to get higher untill you reach balance point, you will know your there cuz itll scare the hell out of you. Itll almost feel like your floating, and your rpms will stop climbing and be consistant. At balance point you dont need any more throttle to maintain the wheelie, only small blips every now and then. All these guys on youtube doing ROC and other crazy long wheelies, are all at balance point. And since you started wheelies about 2 days ago, its gonna take a while. Wheelies arent really just a natural thing some people can do and others cant, its a learned process, and takes ALOT of time to get down.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 PM

sounds like your runnin out of rpms. When you hold a wheelie under balance point you need more and more throttle to sustain it, and eventually you run out, then it drops. Try to get higher untill you reach balance point, you will know your there cuz itll scare the hell out of you. Itll almost feel like your floating, and your rpms will stop climbing and be consistant. At balance point you dont need any more throttle to maintain the wheelie, only small blips every now and then. All these guys on youtube doing ROC and other crazy long wheelies, are all at balance point. And since you started wheelies about 2 days ago, its gonna take a while. Wheelies arent really just a natural thing some people can do and others cant, its a learned process, and takes ALOT of time to get down.
I think when the front end jumps up I am letting off the throttle. So far I have been doing sit down wheelies, is it better/easier to learn it stagger step?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 AM

SALTY is a decent person

Yes. By having one foot on the back peg you can put more weight towards the back of the bike and that helps in a million different parts of the physics that make you wheelie. Try it standing staggerd. Felt WAY BETTER IMO
Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by SALTY
Yes. By having one foot on the back peg you can put more weight towards the back of the bike and that helps in a million different parts of the physics that make you wheelie. Try it standing staggerd. Felt WAY BETTER IMO
Alright, thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 PM

Should I be shooting for balance point or should I practice popping it up with the clutch and then chasing the wheelie under balance point?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM

Should I be shooting for balance point or should I practice popping it up with the clutch and then chasing the wheelie under balance point?
Yes staggered helped me get to balance point faster. As for now I would just practice untill you are extremely comfortable with the wheel off the ground and using the rear brake, and your clutch ups become predictable. Its up to you and if you feel like your ready, if you are then hell yea go for it. But the hardest part about learning balance point, and i think alot of stunters will agree, is having ***** big enough to push yourself that far lol.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM

Yes staggered helped me get to balance point faster. As for now I would just practice untill you are extremely comfortable with the wheel off the ground and using the rear brake, and your clutch ups become predictable. Its up to you and if you feel like your ready, if you are then hell yea go for it. But the hardest part about learning balance point, and i think alot of stunters will agree, is having ***** big enough to push yourself that far lol.
Should I be clutching it up at really low speeds? I have been doing it around 15mph in 1st gear.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM

Should I be clutching it up at really low speeds? I have been doing it around 15mph in 1st gear.
yes fairly slow speeds in first gear, but id pay more attention to your rpms than your speed. I clutch my 650 at 5k. if you have a bigger bike then you can clutch up at higher rpms than that and still get to balance point before you run out of rpms
Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 PM

okay i just re-read your first post and saw you have a cbr600rr. Im assuming you have stock gearing (which for the cbr600rr is 16/43 if im correct) so as for the smaller rear sprocket i would clutch up at 5-6K maybe even 7k depending on how you feel. CBR's have alot of their power in the upper rpms. But play around with it, start at 4k, then move to 5k, then 6, and so on. See which gives you the smoothest, and predictable pickup. All about personal preference.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM

Btw i see your from the woodlands, im from southeast houston in la porte. There is a redbull stunt show with aaron colton at the toyota center this saturday before the rockets game from 5-7. If you wanna see real stunting in person, you should go.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Btw i see your from the woodlands, im from southeast houston in la porte. There is a redbull stunt show with aaron colton at the toyota center this saturday before the rockets game from 5-7. If you wanna see real stunting in person, you should go.
Does it cost anything?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 PM

Does it cost anything?
Not sure, its a pre-game show. Im just gonna show up and see what happens lol
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM

Not sure, its a pre-game show. Im just gonna show up and see what happens lol
Where did you hear about it? If it's on a website would you mind linking me to it? I am really interested in going.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Administrators

WHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for rep

I've been to a bunch of his shows, (and there is no charge for them).
Don't miss it, He puts on one helluva show...

http://www.aaroncolton.com/news/heading-to-houston
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by WHEELIE
I've been to a bunch of his shows, (and there is no charge for them).
Don't miss it, He puts on one helluva show...

http://www.aaroncolton.com/news/heading-to-houston
I assume that you would have to have tickets to the Rockets game to see it though, eh?

Quick Reply: New Stunter