upon learning idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:08 PM

dkracr387 is a decent person
upon learning idle

So I am to the point i can clutch up, run a smidge past bp and then let my idle take over. but it seems like when im running off simple idle just controling it with my brake i am moving so slow. I have stock sprockets and im setting idle at 3500. So shouldn't i be moving much faster when i have caught idle?

What happens if i get a 60tooth rear sprocket and catch idle at 3500 then ill be moving much slower right?

I guess my question is, is it normal to be going really really slow when you're 1st gear 3500 stock sprockets on idle. Should i turn my idle up more? Any opinions?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: upon learning idle

are you actually catching idle at 3500 or does your stock gear bog the bike down to a lower idle ?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM

it feels like it goes to a lower idle. but im stagered and i have a tinted windscreen so i can't actually see my rpm while im up. but it feels like i keep getting slower and slower and slower. think the motor just cant power that small sprocket (even though it is a diesel 636) and that's why i slow down?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:20 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

probably right , a bigger gear might actually keep you rolling a little faster because it will give you more torque and allow the rpm's to stay up
Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 AM

I.Am.Hollywood! is a decent person

i think OMR is right... might be bogging the motor out a bit
Old 09-19-2010, 12:14 PM

thanks fellas. see it would have been another week before that thought dawned on me haha.

i street ride my bike quite a bit, more so than i do the lot. so when i go to sprocket it i dont want to go huge and take the highway out of the picture.

you think +6 or +7 in the rear would be sufficient for catching idle and still being able to highway?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Jersey Rider

fouroh8 is a decent person

Originally Posted by dkracr387
thanks fellas. see it would have been another week before that thought dawned on me haha.

i street ride my bike quite a bit, more so than i do the lot. so when i go to sprocket it i dont want to go huge and take the highway out of the picture.

you think +6 or +7 in the rear would be sufficient for catching idle and still being able to highway?
I'm +10 on my 03 636 & I ride to the lot. I think this gearing is damn near perfect for slow stuff at the lot and I can still ride the streets with no problem.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 PM

well i was thinking like going +7 or so on one cush drive with a chain cut to length and then also keeping the stock sprocket on a another cush drive with its chain as a set so if i wanted to take like a 2 or 3 hour trip somewhere for a weekend i could always go back with ease. but this is a daily driver as well as a beater so you think +10 would still get me to work and back (50 miles roundtrip) without being too wound out on the highway?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM

oh and my manual says i have a 43t rear (i haven't counted) is that right? and if it is... where did you get a 53t rear? everywhere i look its either 50t, 55t, or 60t.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:27 PM

l Bolo l is a decent person

oh and my manual says i have a 43t rear (i haven't counted) is that right? and if it is... where did you get a 53t rear? everywhere i look its either 50t, 55t, or 60t.
It doesn't have to be exactly 53 teeth. If your past balance point you will ride the brake harder and go slower. Try being ligher on the brakes and closer to balance point and you will go faster.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 PM

I_throw_nickels is a decent person

55 is still good for hwy's and interstates if you dont want to ride a 100 all the way there
Old 09-19-2010, 11:42 PM

chili88gt is a decent person

Originally Posted by I_throw_nickels
55 is still good for hwy's and interstates if you dont want to ride a 100 all the way there
I second that. I run a 54 and im down 1 up front. Street/lot friendly. Just doing anything over 60mph and im running pretty high rpms
Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 AM
also known as OMR

talk to phil at motoheaven.com he can get you any size sprocket you want ..
Old 09-20-2010, 04:43 AM

gsxr"d is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
talk to phil at motoheaven.com he can get you any size sprocket you want ..
Second that! No BS and great sprockets.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by chili88gt
I second that. I run a 54 and im down 1 up front. Street/lot friendly. Just doing anything over 60mph and im running pretty high rpms

yeap interstates are high rpm. Its kind of annoying if you need to ride with people with stock sprockets or go more than 10 miles but idc bcuz i dont ride interstates. Theyre no fun

i think i run around 8-8500 rpm at 70 or so with 10 up.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 PM

yeah ****. i ride a lot of highway and open road when the chance comes. idk ill just keep two cush drives and chains and swap them out accordingly.

so now the question is steel or aluminum?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:10 PM

yeah ****. i ride a lot of highway and open road when the chance comes. idk ill just keep two cush drives and chains and swap them out accordingly.

so now the question is steel or aluminum?

swappin out the cush drive and chain is too much work

aluminum is lighter and steel last longer. The real question is which do you care about more.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
also known as OMR

i had a thrust aluminum sprocket from moto heaven for about 5 years , the only reason it finally went bad was because i spilled battery acid all over it ..

keep them cleaned and lubed and they last a long time..
Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 PM

JEREMY6RR is a decent person

Now that i can clutch up in 1st i seem to always need to be tighten my chain every week. Should i replace my chain or is this normal? Im almost maxed out in how far back i can move my rear wheel. Any info?
P.S. Should i start moving up to second gear clutch ups. I can do first gear in the low 3k range at like 15-20 mph.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM
also known as OMR

maybe youre clutching it too hard or you got a cheap chain , my last chain lasted over 5 years and i stunt 4 nights a week

Quick Reply: upon learning idle