bypassing fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
lets ****in ride!!!

clutchitup21 is a decent person
bypassing fuel pump

is it ok to do.... i read that if your fuel pump goes out you can bypass it.... has any of you done it?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: bypassing fuel pump

if youre talking about the f3 the bike will run with out a pump as long as gravity can fill the bowls in the carb , so basically the bottom of the tanks would need to be higher than the carbs
Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Squid Supreme

stick1300 will become famous soon enough

Ugh, I'm trying to get the pump on my F4i to run and it's being an unholy bitch. Seriously, I'd rather **** a bear trap than ever have to deal with this again.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:59 PM
lets ****in ride!!!

yeah its on the f3... i cleaned the carbs and it still was acting up.... i read that the airbox needed to be on there good with all the screws so it could withstand pressure, and if its not sealed it can cause problems similar to the ones i'm having...so i made sure it was on good and had to find screws, and still the same problem..... i took off the stock exhaust and put on a tip so i thought that might be the problem, so i put on the stock and i still have the problem.......
3rd gear and up the bike boggs and practically dies, i can open the throttle all the way and it will do nothing... if i barely give it gas it will stay the same rpm... if i down shift to 2nd or pull in the clutch it will rev all the way up....

so now i think my next step is the fuel pump.... i'm gonna try to bypass it and see if that works ......
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stick1300
Ugh, I'm trying to get the pump on my F4i to run and it's being an unholy bitch. Seriously, I'd rather **** a bear trap than ever have to deal with this again.
99% of the time it has nothing to do with the fuel pump, and something to do with something else electrical

Since the bike is FI, just about any fault in a sensor or wire will not allow the fuel pump to run, it's a safety feature...

check relays, and wires.. Most the time its a pinched wire or a wire pulled from a plug...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Towlieee
99% of the time it has nothing to do with the fuel pump, and something to do with something else electrical

Since the bike is FI, just about any fault in a sensor or wire will not allow the fuel pump to run, it's a safety feature...

check relays, and wires.. Most the time its a pinched wire or a wire pulled from a plug...
+1 ive had probs w/ my fuel pump relays in the trunk area. broken wire, also one of the relays stuck and the pump wouldnt prime. then there is always the red switch, if you have a prob there the pump wont prime either.....
Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 PM
lets ****in ride!!!

Originally Posted by Towlieee

i know my f3 is not FI but in the service manual for the fuel systems troubleshooting says a symptom of misfiring during acceleration is caused from the icm(cdi) stops ignition intermittently to prevent over rev (rev limiter malfunction) ......
that might be whats wrong with my bike....
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM

ride_on_one is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clutchitup21
i know my f3 is not FI but in the service manual for the fuel systems troubleshooting says a symptom of misfiring during acceleration is caused from the icm(cdi) stops ignition intermittently to prevent over rev (rev limiter malfunction) ......
that might be whats wrong with my bike....
Vaccumme (sp) line maybe?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 PM
lets ****in ride!!!

Originally Posted by ride_on_one
Vaccumme (sp) line maybe?
whats that?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

well one way you can know for sure, is to simply run a couple pieces of wire from the battery to the fuel pump and see if it turns on.. If it does you know the pump is good
Then use a multimeter to make sure 12v signal is getting to the wires coming into the fuel pump.. Usually a bike will only kick the fuel pump on for 1-3 seconds when you first turn the key on.. Then it doesn't run until the pressure drops
Old 03-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

U might not be jetted correctly,try jettin it to run richer,I know it's totally different but on my old 2 stroke dirt bike,just before it stalled out cause it was runnin outta gas(when idleing) the rpm's would climb really high then it would bog and stall.Just another suggestion to think about.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 AM
lets ****in ride!!!

i just pulled the plugs out.. im lookin at them and they dont seem to be fouled.... there are 2 ngk and 2 autolite plugs that were in it.. i dont think that would hurt anything though.....they are dirty but kinda white looking... does that mean its running lean?... but im gonna get new plugs it it in the morning.......
hope this fixes my problem..... im tired of taking this bike apart..lol
Old 03-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

yes white is lean,black n wet is rich,they should be the color of a brown paper bag if it's running right.sounds like your gonna need a jet kit to get more fuel goin through it.just gettin new plugs probly wont fix it.

Last edited by blee; 03-05-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 AM
lets ****in ride!!!

Originally Posted by blee
yes white is lean,black n wet is rich,they should be the color of a brown paper bag if it's running right.sounds like your gonna need a jet kit to get more fuel goin through it.just gettin new plugs probly wont fix it.
what size jet would you recommend...carb #1 & #4 use a 135 and #2 & #3 use 138 for the main jets.....should i try adjusting the mixture screw before i buy a new jet kit....
if i buy an new jet kit how hard is it to get tuned up to a tee?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:36 AM
In need of steel

7th gear is a decent person

Originally Posted by blee

Blee didn't this happen to villa's bike? It had low end power but no top end.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:41 AM
big fonky rubber chicken

chevelle2030 is a decent person

Originally Posted by stick1300

not sure if this will help but on my f4i the fuel pump stopped working so i replaced it and it still didn work,replaced wiring harness and relays still nothing it ended up being ignition switch there is a diode in the switch that goes out and it will still turn on everything but the pump (fan,starter,etc..) i replaced key switch and it was money..hope this helps
Old 03-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

Honestly I havent tuned a sportbike,but if the carbs are set up the same as a dirtbike then,you have 3 different jets that serve 3 different purposes,pilot jet...main jet...needle jet...
Dont quote me on this.. but this is what I think I remember
the main jet is for Wide Open throttle jetting.
the pilot is for low rpm jetting
the needle is for mid range jettin

ah forget it, dont listen to me,I can't remember,I haven't fucked with carbs in many many years.I'm goin off a very foggy memory.I could be totally off,someone will post who knows carbs real well.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

Originally Posted by 7th gear
Blee didn't this happen to villa's bike? It had low end power but no top end.
I think so but I'm stoned right now and can't remember ****
Old 03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
lets ****in ride!!!

i dont get it!!! i still have the same problem.....
it will take off fine thru 1st & 2nd but as soon as i get it into 3rd it just boggs and has no power(practically dies).... i cant figure it out.. anyone had this problem...
iv taken the carbs off twice and cleaned them and the jets and passages, put in new plugs... ran thru all the troubleshooting in the manual......i had a R1 that had the same problem but i sold it before i found out what it was.....
any ideas?!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

is this bike full fairing or street fightered and did you change any thing right before it started running bad ?

Quick Reply: bypassing fuel pump