Crashed!! Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Crashing SUCKS!!!

LAST CALL is an unknown quantity at this point
Crashed!! Need advice.

So here is what happened. On Thursday I got off at work at 3:00 in the morning because I had to go to court early in the morning. I work the graveyard shift. My boss let me off early and I decide to go to my girlfriend's apartment because I'm tired and it's close by. I don't even get a block away from work when this girl trys to pull a u-turn right in front of me. My light was green and I had the right away. I was doing the speed limit of 40mph. So I t-boned her and went up and over the hood and skidded and tumbled down the road. There were these airport security guys who were in a van and saw everything. They said it's her fault, she admitted it's her fault, and I agree it was definitely her fault. I went to the hospital. No broken bones but my shins hurt as well as my pelvis. Ribs are sore and my shoulder is messed up. I think it's my rotater cuff (not sure of spelling). I can't lift my right arm without my shoulder hurting. So I've been thru this situation before. I t-boned a car a few years ago. That one wasn't my fault either. I got all my medical paid for as well as my bike fixed and a settlement. My question is should I hire a lawyer? I felt last time that my lawyer really didn't do much that I couldn't have done myself. This is a open/close case. It's clearly her fault and I don't want to have to give a lawyer 1/3 of my settlement when I feel I could handle it myself. On the flip side I don't want to sell myself short either and not get what is due to me. What do you guys think? All advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 PM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person
Re: Crashed!! Need advice.

get a lawyer, i hate them but them just being there is good. anything like that you want a lawyer because he prob can get you some more money for the bike...etc. i would get a laywer
Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

three strikes you're out...see how it all goes with insurance then maybe get a lawyer

Last edited by atnuts; 07-26-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 PM

bdonz is a decent person

as long as you have enough proof backing you up(police report etc) the insurance company should be pretty helpfull. they should be pay a generous amount for the bike plus time off work pain and suffering. if not then get a lawyer.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Built not bought

tys0n.cbr is a decent person

settlement checks FTW
Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Crashing SUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by bdonz
as long as you have enough proof backing you up(police report etc) the insurance company should be pretty helpfull. they should be pay a generous amount for the bike plus time off work pain and suffering. if not then get a lawyer.
Yeah this is what I was thinking. The witnesses, the actual driver, and the police report all point to the same thing. This was clearly her fault. I'm gonna talk to the insurance company this week and if they want to be helpful then I'll probably go without a lawyer. If they wanna play hardball then I don't see any other choice but to get one.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 PM

JasonS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a lawyer!

Every single judge began their career as a lawyer, and showing up without one somehow is interpretted as a sign of disrespect to the court. Having a lawyer will make all the difference. Just be sure that they work for their 1/3 and make it all easy and seemless for you.

Good luck man. Glad you're not hurt worse.

- BigJason
Old 07-26-2009, 11:07 PM
www.GRAMX.com

Sicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JasonS1
Get a lawyer!

Every single judge began their career as a lawyer, and showing up without one somehow is interpretted as a sign of disrespect to the court. Having a lawyer will make all the difference. Just be sure that they work for their 1/3 and make it all easy and seemless for you.

Good luck man. Glad you're not hurt worse.

- BigJason
+1 ... I agree with this dude, dont be grimey a few less bucks wont be the end of the world, and besides with a lawyer u can prob get more $$ then you would yourself... be on the safe side and do it right..
Old 07-26-2009, 11:44 PM

Monstrosity is a decent person

Originally Posted by Sicc0
+1 ... I agree with this dude, dont be grimey a few less bucks wont be the end of the world, and besides with a lawyer u can prob get more $$ then you would yourself... be on the safe side and do it right..
Agreed, I've been hit twice and once I used a lawyer and the other I didnt. The insurance company will try to railroad you and not comply or sell you real short. Get the blood sucker you will be glad later.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

First off lemme say glad your ok and not laid up in a hospital fightin for your life,that could've been real bad,but like everyone else said,get a lawyer for sure,they could change their story as soon as they get to court a see that your representing yourself,just don't use the same lawyer as before if you weren't happy with him/her,I hear Johnny Cockring that did the OJ case is lookin for work.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 AM

zookiezook is a decent person

johnny cockran is dead ....

and trust me you get what you pay 4... if u get a lawyer and subtract 1/3 that'll still probably be more than you could get ... thats there job is to win cases and make you the most money possible because then they get more money ...like i said u get what you pay 4 .... and every one knows insurance is a scam, a rip-off and whatever u wanna call it theyre just out 2 get your money....the insurance is not gonna pay u any more than they have 2 and theyll do whatever they can not 2 pay you, unless your a lawyer get a lawyer and you wont have a headache
Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 AM
control switcher

Dr_Rip_It will become famous soon enough

i would wait to see how much of a settlement you going to get and if you think they are ripping you off hire a lawyer.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 AM
FTP

classic customs is a decent person

so your not hurt at all, just sore? you should be thankfull for that

Last edited by classic customs; 07-27-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 AM

Rainey0000 is an unknown quantity at this point

at least talk to a lawyer.. but i'd get one..
Old 07-27-2009, 07:55 AM

HighStyles has a spectacular aura aboutHighStyles has a spectacular aura about

without a lawyer you won't get a "settlement" you will only get you med bills and bike fixed
Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 AM

NHRR-RIDER is a decent person

get a Laywer they can get you more money, and faster. So you won't get $15 a month for the next 50 years.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 PM

OC DeBo is a decent person

just make sure you got everything in writing! thats the only thing that will hold up in court more than someone's word
Old 07-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Attack Squirrel Owner

DOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant futureDOKE has a brilliant future

Without a doubt, get a lawyer.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 PM
***tastic

rookie stunter is a decent person

the whole court system is a setup for lawyers to make money, youll never get it done without one.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Crashing SUCKS!!!

Well I'm supposed to meet up with the insurance guy handling the the claim tommorrow. He wants to sit down and talk about my medical concerns. I went and saw my bike today. That **** is totalled. The neck of the frame was split in two. Whole front end is toast and all plastics are done. I talked to the insurance agent and he said most likely they will total it. We'll see how things go tommorrow.

Quick Reply: Crashed!! Need advice.