WR250X - Do 17" Wheels front and back mean better highway riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Gillyroze is a decent person
WR250X - Do 17" Wheels front and back mean better highway riding?

I recently picked up the Yamaha WR250x and was bummed by how small the wheels are. I dont know exactly why the wheels are so small (17" front and back) I now have a deal set up where I will be trading my 17" for some OEM 18" rear and 21" front. Im glad to have found these as I was always erked by how small the bike looked with the little wheels. But now Im thinking there must be a reason that the tires are so small. Is it better for riding on the street or on the highway? Should I expect a less smoother ride on paved surfaces with the the bigger wheels?

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 PM

moto924 is a decent person
Re: WR250X - Do 17" Wheels front and back mean better highway riding?

they are set up like that so the bike will corner better and so it will set more level. i have rode both the x and the dual sport model with the bigger wheels and it doesn't corner for **** with them on there
Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 PM

rieguy187 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gillyroze
I recently picked up the Yamaha WR250x and was bummed by how small the wheels are. I dont know exactly why the wheels are so small (17" front and back) I now have a deal set up where I will be trading my 17" for some OEM 18" rear and 21" front. Im glad to have found these as I was always erked by how small the bike looked with the little wheels. But now Im thinking there must be a reason that the tires are so small. Is it better for riding on the street or on the highway? Should I expect a less smoother ride on paved surfaces with the the bigger wheels?

Thanks for any input.
you bought the wrong bike!!!!!!!! if you wanted a 21" wheel you should have gotten the wr250r or the a YZ250.

the X is a supermoto, supermoto bikes have 17" wheels some even run 16.5"
Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by moto924
they are set up like that so the bike will corner better and so it will set more level. i have rode both the x and the dual sport model with the bigger wheels and it doesn't corner for **** with them on there
Do you guys think its a bad idea that I get these? http://www.streetbikerider.com/h-bod...006-series.htm

This is what has been recommended to me. It says its good for 50% on and 50% off road. The dealer I am working with is swapping oem wheels and tires ,tubes etc that are bigger for the smaller radial ones I have.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 PM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

Thanks for any input.
Do you guys think its a bad idea that I get these? http://www.streetbikerider.com/h-bod...006-series.htm

This is what has been recommended to me. It says its good for 50% on and 50% off road. The dealer I am working with is swapping oem wheels and tires ,tubes etc that are bigger for the smaller radial ones I have.
^^^ you are a ******* idiot!!!!

Originally Posted by rieguy187
you bought the wrong bike!!!!!!!! if you wanted a 21" wheel you should have gotten the wr250r or the a YZ250.

^^^ I agree.... Why the hell would you buy the supermoto and not the dual-sport when you want the dual-sport and they make the same bike set up both ways
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
houstons tard

white bandito is a decent person

holy crapp. what the hell are you doing
Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Spin 50 productions

Spin Master C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by r6-hooligan
^^^ you are a ******* idiot!!!!

^^^ I agree.... Why the hell would you buy the supermoto and not the dual-sport when you want the dual-sport and they make the same bike set up both ways
oh my god....! plus the price difference must be huge..i got an x and i think i'm gonna research that..sounds like a scam
Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 PM
houstons tard

white bandito is a decent person

haha. just put a more dirt looking tire in the 17 inch size. the reason the off road version has 21 front and i think a 19 rear is so the front floats over bumps whil the rear kinda sets in and gives you a good drive over any surface. a supermoto is 17 front and rear so you got more rubber. cause traction and bumps arent a problem on the street.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 AM

bikerboy929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rieguy187

same thing i was thinking..
Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 PM

Well its the X I have not the dual sport model. However myinterest is to ride it on sand and off road. So is what Im doing a good idea or should I not sacrifice the original wheels I have for the OEm larger ones?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
YUTTT UGHHHHH

fiddys4life is a decent person

Trade the hole bike and get the dual sort model. It's probably cheaper and what you should have done in the first place.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by fiddys4life
Trade the hole bike and get the dual sort model. It's probably cheaper and what you should have done in the first place.
Where can I find someone willing to trade theirs? The wr250f
Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

OMG!!!! You dont deserve a motard
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Rydn is a decent person

Originally Posted by -SKETCHY-
OMG!!!! You dont deserve a motard

I just bought one last week.This thing kills my old DRZ.
Just wish Bill would hurry up with my Duel Caliper.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:33 PM

Well its the X I have not the dual sport model. However myinterest is to ride it on sand and off road. So is what Im doing a good idea or should I not sacrifice the original wheels I have for the OEm larger ones?
if u plan on riding off road, u might wanna sell it and buy another bike. someone correct me if i'm wrong. i believe the motard 250x is set up for street, meaning the suspension was desgined to be stiffer for the roadways not trails, and isn't the motor, brakes and gearing desgined more for highway use then trail riding? just cause you change the rims don't mean it'll make a good dirt bike. your bike may end up looking like a dirt bike but don't mean it will performe like one. that's like putting race decals on my streetbike. it may LOOK like a gp bike, but comes no where near close to performing like one! ..also the 250x is a very popular bike, you should have no problem selling it..wait if the dealer is willing to trade rims, how about the whole bike? tell the salesmen he sold you thw wrong bike.

i say keep the bike. and convert to riding the streets!

Last edited by bikerboy929rr; 03-11-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Wannabe

Zarrell is a decent person

Did you even know what a supermoto was before you picked that bike up, how can it come as a surprise that it's got 17" lol? No but seriously learn to ride with the 17"s, there's nothing wrong with them so it's just something to get used to...

I remember when I went from ridin enduro/all around tires and got my DRZ, felt odd in the beginning (mainly having such a small front wheel) but it didn't take long until I loved those 17"s rims n tires.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zarrell
Did you even know what a supermoto was before you picked that bike up, how can it come as a surprise that it's got 17" lol? No but seriously learn to ride with the 17"s, there's nothing wrong with them so it's just something to get used to...

I remember when I went from ridin enduro/all around tires and got my DRZ, felt odd in the beginning (mainly having such a small front wheel) but it didn't take long until I loved those 17"s rims n tires.
But what If I want to take it out on the trails now and then? Is getting these on and off road wheels a bad idea? You simply cant ride off road with the radial tires it comes with.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM
YUTTT UGHHHHH

fiddys4life is a decent person

^ Sure you can ride off road with the radials. Ever see a supermoto race? There aren't going to grip like a off road tire but you should be able to change out tires for something a little more off road.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by fiddys4life
^ Sure you can ride off road with the radials. Ever see a supermoto race? There aren't going to grip like a off road tire but you should be able to change out tires for something a little more off road.
Thats true I have taken it off road and it isnt so bad. It doesnt move on sand tho. Also, this still leaves the issue of the bike looking small because of the smaller wheels. Isnt it possible tho to make this bike a bit higher? Isnt it adjustable?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:30 AM

Thats true I have taken it off road and it isnt so bad. It doesnt move on sand tho. Also, this still leaves the issue of the bike looking small because of the smaller wheels. Isnt it possible tho to make this bike a bit higher? Isnt it adjustable?

DUDE NO OFFENCE! but what you bought was a dirt bike CONVERTED TO STREET USE. you can change the bike to however you want with whatever kind rims & suspension makes you feel comfortable. BUT what most people are saying is that you was better off buying a dual sport model, than you wouldn't have to change ANYTHING! moding a SUPERMOTO back to a dual sport is going backwards! it's like going out and buying a brand new truck with a big turbo V8 engine, only to go home and switch the motor out for a little 4 cly.

bottom line. anything can be done to any bike, but next time, do your HOMEWORK first before buying, that way the next time around you'll actually buy the bike you need without spending extra $ to convert it!

Quick Reply: WR250X - Do 17" Wheels front and back mean better highway riding?