whats is and isnt considered drifting a stunt bike???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 AM
UDOWN?

I <3 wheelies is a decent person
whats is and isnt considered drifting a stunt bike???

One of the many definition of drifting is (drifiting = a controlled loss of traction)....with that being said..i got into a discussion today with fellow stunters about what is and isnt considered drifting "in the stunt world"....which is my problem....just because a large group of people decide to say one thing, this doesn't change the definition of the word or act in general...basically if a bunch of people get together and call a white stunt bike red.....they cant say its red because there are stunters and they do things different...white is white..know what i mean

so i was told that if you use the rear brake to initiate a slide...then pop the clutch while at full counter steer..and are under full power.(almost redline)..going over 25 mph fully sideways that if i iniate the front brake AT ALL durring this ,that it would no longer be considered a drift, but a burn out....im not talking about consistantly dragging the front brake and doing circle burnouts at 5-10 mph with no real danger of highsiding...but when needed using a small amount of front brake to better control the drift..or to help control the direction of the drift in tighter areas( such as stunt comps)

ive had my own drift car and also have drifted a supermoto 250f on a few track days..and i know for a fact that you use your brakes to control the drift in a car and i feather my front brake to help get a lil more traction to the front wheel while also settling your front suspension, when im drifting a turn on the supermoto......
so why if you use a little bit of front brake from time to time in drifting a stunt bike is it no longer a drift but a burnout????????...

their main argument against my point is that if you followed the text book def then a burnout would also be considered a drift because its a controlled loss of traction.......but if you wanna go along those lines drifters dont call donuts drifting......they just dont.......

so please tell me all of your opinions.....
Old 11-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Jim CrashoBazzi

imafrogg420 is a decent person
Re: whats is and isnt considered drifting a stunt bike???

:popcorn
Old 11-24-2008, 02:48 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

who cares do what ever way makes you happy
Old 11-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

first, a 250f won't drift...simply not enough power. you may slide it out a bit, but if you are racing then you should not be on the front brakes and gas at same time.

imo a drift is kicking the back end out at some sort of speed, whether you use the front brakes or not...as in cars like you said.

a lot of guys think they can drift a bike but are really just going around in tight circles...imo not a drift.

i think the definition of drift would be excessive rear tire spin at speed....

if it looks like a burnout then it probably is, front brakes or not. if it looks like a drift, then it prolly is, regardless of front brakes.

aka jesse toler on his gix in TN...using front brakes but a drift like manner.

you need to have a vehicle with enough power to spin the tire under simple power...that's y i say drifting a 250f is impossible on good pavement with a good tire...simply wont spin the tire up...may slide a bit but that's not drifting.

imo
Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Teach i thought you went over to the "PRO" website
Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 AM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DURTY-636
i was thinking the same thing after reading the other thread but i wasnt gonna type it in this thread
Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 AM
Gas'er!!

ninja, don't uppity with me nothing to do with pro, everything to do with helping a friend, etc.

been here a minute, don't think i'm leaving
Old 11-24-2008, 03:00 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
ninja, don't uppity with me nothing to do with pro, everything to do with helping a friend, etc.

been here a minute, don't think i'm leaving
Old 11-24-2008, 03:04 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i know it's not popular to disagree with teach since he is so good at drifting but on a stunt bike i consider using the front brake a rolling burn out , drifting in my opinion means no brake at all just throttle and lean
Old 11-24-2008, 03:06 AM
Gas'er!!

Originally Posted by old man roger
i know it's not popular to disagree with teach since he is so good at drifting but on a stunt bike i consider using the front brake a rolling burn out , drifting in my opinion means no brake at all just throttle and lean
i agree pretty much, but like dude said, drift cars are using their brakes....and those euro dudes that hammer a 1000cc bike back and forth on the runway is kinda like drifting...

i also think that just bc you don't use the front brake doesnt mean you are drifting.

only reason it's not popular to disagree with me is bc i usally think about what i say and can back it up with logic and facts...something most people on this site cant seem to muster!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:07 AM
Gas'er!!

and why are you and willie up at 3am!!!!!!!? haha
Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

and why are you and willie up at 3am!!!!!!!? haha
i work nights so this is my day
Old 11-24-2008, 03:10 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i agree pretty much, but like dude said, drift cars are using their brakes....and those euro dudes that hammer a 1000cc bike back and forth on the runway is kinda like drifting...

i also think that just bc you don't use the front brake doesnt mean you are drifting.

only reason it's not popular to disagree with me is bc i usally think about what i say and can back it up with logic and facts...something most people on this site cant seem to muster!
well i refuse to put any thought in my posts and will absolutely not include logic ...

your wrong im right you suck ...

Old 11-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Stuntride.com

R1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheRomanSF415x
i was thinking the same thing after reading the other thread but i wasnt gonna type it in this thread

ahahahha i was gonna say the same thing!

Originally Posted by imafrogg420
:popcorn
share wtf
Old 11-24-2008, 03:20 AM
Gas'er!!

squids!

drifting is supposed to be dangerous and on the edge...if it's not then i dont really care whether you call it drifting or not, i'm just not interested.

same with riding and general, stunts/track/street/dirt/minis/etc....if it's not approaching the limits and the edge and there is no risk of wadding hard then i'm not interested...it's boring as hell to watch and even more boring to ride like that
Old 11-24-2008, 03:21 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

squids!

drifting is supposed to be dangerous and on the edge...if it's not then i dont really care whether you call it drifting or not, i'm just not interested.

same with riding and general, stunts/track/street/dirt/minis/etc....if it's not approaching the limits and the edge and there is no risk of wadding hard then i'm not interested...it's boring as hell to watch and even more boring to ride like that
this is saved for later use
Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 AM
UDOWN?

see thats what i said....i was trying to explain that even when car drifting first came out they started power drifting long sweaper turns...im betting slower speed stuff in tight area was frowned on...but then as drifting became more popular and people started adapting it to smaller areas for events the use of the brakes became accepted
Old 11-24-2008, 03:33 AM

Schooler is a decent person

first, a 250f won't drift...simply not enough power. you may slide it out a bit, but if you are racing then you should not be on the front brakes and gas at same time.

imo a drift is kicking the back end out at some sort of speed, whether you use the front brakes or not...as in cars like you said.

a lot of guys think they can drift a bike but are really just going around in tight circles...imo not a drift.

i think the definition of drift would be excessive rear tire spin at speed....

if it looks like a burnout then it probably is, front brakes or not. if it looks like a drift, then it prolly is, regardless of front brakes.

aka jesse toler on his gix in TN...using front brakes but a drift like manner.

you need to have a vehicle with enough power to spin the tire under simple power...that's y i say drifting a 250f is impossible on good pavement with a good tire...simply wont spin the tire up...may slide a bit but that's not drifting.

imo
you just dont got the mad db skills..Ill drift a 250 150 even a 50...your **** is weaksauce.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:26 AM
UDOWN?

Originally Posted by Schooler
you just dont got the mad db skills..Ill drift a 250 150 even a 50...your **** is weaksauce.
lol i agree and diss agree....i drift my 110cc pit bike with a clutch a superemotard tires...and your right a 250f doesnt have alot of power to where you can just poop clutch and spin the tire...thats why you have to use your rear brake to initiate loss of traction (brake slide the rear for a second) then you poop the clutch and any 250f rear end will light right up....a 450f is actually harder to drift because you dont need the clutch to loss traction so its way easyer to wash out(spin out)......the 250f is just under powerewd enough to where you can w.o.t it and power out of the corner......but i diss agree when you say teach has weak sauce....drifting a street bike elbows down( with clipons not db bars) is bad ***
Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 AM

onthacomeup is a decent person

Originally Posted by I <3 wheelies
One of the many definition of drifting is (drifiting = a controlled loss of traction)....with that being said..i got into a discussion today with fellow stunters about what is and isnt considered drifting "in the stunt world"....which is my problem....just because a large group of people decide to say one thing, this doesn't change the definition of the word or act in general...basically if a bunch of people get together and call a white stunt bike red.....they cant say its red because there are stunters and they do things different...white is white..know what i mean

so i was told that if you use the rear brake to initiate a slide...then pop the clutch while at full counter steer..and are under full power.(almost redline)..going over 25 mph fully sideways that if i iniate the front brake AT ALL durring this ,that it would no longer be considered a drift, but a burn out....im not talking about consistantly dragging the front brake and doing circle burnouts at 5-10 mph with no real danger of highsiding...but when needed using a small amount of front brake to better control the drift..or to help control the direction of the drift in tighter areas( such as stunt comps)

ive had my own drift car and also have drifted a supermoto 250f on a few track days..and i know for a fact that you use your brakes to control the drift in a car and i feather my front brake to help get a lil more traction to the front wheel while also settling your front suspension, when im drifting a turn on the supermoto......
so why if you use a little bit of front brake from time to time in drifting a stunt bike is it no longer a drift but a burnout????????...

their main argument against my point is that if you followed the text book def then a burnout would also be considered a drift because its a controlled loss of traction.......but if you wanna go along those lines drifters dont call donuts drifting......they just dont.......

so please tell me all of your opinions.....
who were you discussing this with..cuz nobody in hawaii..except for the obvious two...can do any kind of drift...that ive seen at least...and imo...what does it matter because if you can do a "controlled drift" with hand brake then you should be able to do a drift with out handbrake...and i feel that if the bike is leaned over and theres counter steering invovled then regardless how fast you are going or if you using front brake then it is a drift...

Last edited by onthacomeup; 11-24-2008 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: whats is and isnt considered drifting a stunt bike???