best ways to silent exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
best ways to silent exhaust

So I got another muffler today, since the core to mine fell out on the freeway..

I'm alreayd planning on welding 2-4 plates inside it to slow exhaust flow down and attempt to quiet it up a little bit.. ANd I'm also gonna add some packing

question is, should I put the packing in TIGHT? Or leave it fairly loose? Whats best for making it quiet?
Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 PM

scandelous81 is a decent person
Re: best ways to silent exhaust

tighter the quiter it will be, ive seen it burn up fast if its packed loose.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:54 PM

YodaCon is an unknown quantity at this point

Wont welding plates inside to slow the exhaust flow make you lose power?

add more packing for less noise
Old 11-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by YodaCon

No it will add back pressure and run better down low where we need it, maybe loose some on top but who cares were not racing.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:06 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YodaCon

for racing and stuff it will make you lose top end power

but for wheelies, I need LOW END TORQUE, so I want it to be as restricted as stock :YEAH

My current exhaust I had 2 plates welded inside, and they helped to quiet it down, but I never messed with the packing..

This exhaust I already have the rivets drilled, so imma attempt to silence it as much as possible
Old 11-03-2008, 01:06 PM

YodaCon is an unknown quantity at this point

makes sense, I gotta check that out
Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 PM

EEKENTERPRISES is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
for racing and stuff it will make you lose top end power

but for wheelies, I need LOW END TORQUE, so I want it to be as restricted as stock :YEAH

My current exhaust I had 2 plates welded inside, and they helped to quiet it down, but I never messed with the packing..

This exhaust I already have the rivets drilled, so imma attempt to silence it as much as possible
I was thinking this on lunch break today, as a bike screamed by me and attracted a lot of attention, wonder why an exhaust company has not put out a shorty quiet pipe.

Something like this design would be simple enough, and is bound to seriously quiet the exhaust...

Even enduro exhausts such as this one below have multiple tubes etc to work through, but the exhaust flow still works very well.

I would think that it would be a decent enough selling product that should not require a lot more r&d to quiet things down and torque things up....I remember the old dirt bikes having small headers to a fatcan in the middle to a small pipe out back and it would add huge torque...you would think they could kill two birds in one stone and keep this in a pipe...

Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 PM

kylenv is a decent person

pack the ****** tight you can use some tap and hammer it in so it's good and full..also what kind of pipe. The best I have found is to put a plate in a drill a big whole like over and inch and then one bellow that a bit smaller it kills reverb...and almost entirely gets rid of backfires and **** this is with stock pipes though.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by kylenv
pack the ****** tight you can use some tap and hammer it in so it's good and full..also what kind of pipe. The best I have found is to put a plate in a drill a big whole like over and inch and then one bellow that a bit smaller it kills reverb...and almost entirely gets rid of backfires and **** this is with stock pipes though.
You don't wanna know what kind of pipe... It's a White brothers pipe from my friends raptor 660.... It just so happens to fit my two brothers mid pipe on my f4i, and it mounts perfectly to the stock mount...

Using it since I got it free, and my current exhaust was already ghetto, and the core fell out so its loud as **** now.

My old exhaust I had 2 plates welded in it, about 1" apart from each other, both covering about 3/4 of the center of the exhaust.... they quieted it up quiet a bit

This exhaust im hoping to get quieter, as I think its gonna be my permanent exhaust...
Old 11-04-2008, 12:31 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i like to use a stock can and cut down the midpipe instaed of cutting the can
Old 11-04-2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by old man roger
well damnit omr

got a stock f4i pipe to donate to my fund?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 AM

thats a really great idea, never thought of that, dame now i need a new stock can to play with
Old 11-04-2008, 12:50 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

well damnit omr

got a stock f4i pipe to donate to my fund?
trust me if i had those alot of people i ride with would get them put on there bikes when they weren't looking we are running out of spots to ride at and no one seems to understand it's the noise even when the cops tell us every time they are kicking us out that they got a noise complaint
Old 11-04-2008, 12:51 AM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

i wish my f4i was quiet like 600rr's and 636's
Old 11-04-2008, 12:53 AM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by scandelous81
thats a really great idea, never thought of that, dame now i need a new stock can to play with
it's easy to do on a 636 because of the strap style exhaust mount but on the f4i you gotta cut off the mount and weld it back on further up the can , but if you are welding the pipe any ways it shouldn't be that big of a deal

Name:  mybikechurchst.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  66.1 KB
Old 11-04-2008, 12:54 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

Im making a custom shortie pipe(from a stock can), only about 6 inches longer than the header, hopefully it should be quiet and have a ton of backpressure.Should have it done by this weekend. Hows that homeade cage working out toweliee?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:01 AM

it's easy to do on a 636 because of the strap style exhaust mount but on the f4i you gotta cut off the mount and weld it back on further up the can , but if you are welding the pipe any ways it shouldn't be that big of a deal

Thats **** is great, i wish i never cut my stock can now, time to find me a new one, thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by *Tanus*
Hows that homeade cage working out toweliee?
its good

But I only got like 2 sessions in on it, before I broke my foot... so I havn't really cared to post pictures of it!

I'll post some pictures soon though, my friend TurboGlenn up in omaha made me some custom aluminum sliders, they are dope
Going to have him make sliders for any of my cages hear on out.. Since he has a metal lathe

trust me if i had those alot of people i ride with would get them put on there bikes when they weren't looking we are running out of spots to ride at and no one seems to understand it's the noise even when the cops tell us every time they are kicking us out that they got a noise complaint

Ya I hear you, I've been doing anything I can to silence my bike

I hate the look of stock pipes, but love the sound level.. I'm gonna tinker with this new exhaust I got tell I can get it to be quiet as possible, while still not 'noticing' a power loss up top

Last edited by Towlieee; 11-04-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:06 AM

jdridin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have two stock F4I cans with one having a full system. If anyones interested in them, let me know. PM a reasonable offer and they are yours.

Peace Justin
Old 11-04-2008, 01:25 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

I hate the look of stock pipes, but love the sound level..
I like the sound too,the look doesnt bother me too much,but damn a stock f4i pipe weighs like 30lbs

Quick Reply: best ways to silent exhaust