Moose Easy pull system + msr clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 AM

trickshow is a decent person
Re: Moose Easy pull system + msr clutch

Originally Posted by Towlieee
ya that clutch arm is the thing by the engine

Just pop the clutch cover off, then the arm pulls right out

Cut it in half, weld in 1/2" peice of steel ( NO LONGER OR YOU'LL HAVE TO RE-DO IT!) and put it back together..

Something is wrong with your setup.. Your clutch being burnt up wouldn't cause the pull to be harder, would just make it slip under load..

Your cable is frayed/binding, or you have stiffer aftermarket clutch springs, or your msr isn't really on the ez pull setting... Btw the ez pull setting is the one CLOSEST to the bars..

i changed my clutch 3 times already and iinstalled new springs everytime.... i always installed the barnett clutch plates and springs . could it be the springs ??? if i loosen them a bit will the pull be easier ... ...cuz when the clutch was brand new the clutch was really easy to pull in but everytime i burnt it up the pull got harder ....
Old 01-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by trickshow
i changed my clutch 3 times already and iinstalled new springs everytime.... i always installed the barnett clutch plates and springs . could it be the springs ??? if i loosen them a bit will the pull be easier ... ...cuz when the clutch was brand new the clutch was really easy to pull in but everytime i burnt it up the pull got harder ....
It's probably them springs

If you still have your stock springs, you MAY be able to put them back in (check with someone else on that though cause I'm not sure..)

I know most aftermarket clutches, have stiffer springs, so the clutch engauges harder
When we put a barnet clutch in my friends raptor660, his clutch pull got WAY stiffer.. The kit said right on it "if clutch pull is too hard, install the factory springs"

also do not losen the springs, they need whatever torque they are made for.. But you can change the springs out i'm pretty sure

And if your burning clutches up, your doing something SERIOUSLY WRONG! I'm still on the OEM bone stock clutch in my f4i, and I have 26,000 on in! I bought the bike with 14,000 miles, and put 12,000 hard miles on it..

Hell even once, at about 16,000 I was learning rolling burnouts, and I burnt my clutch to hell... I tried rolling a burnout at about 30, and juts slipped my clutch and burnt it to **** for about 20 seconds near rev limiter...
After that, I tried clutching up a 1st gear at 30mph, the bike would NOT come up..

I got on the highway, EVERY gear I put it in, if I hit the throttle it went straight to redline...

I quit stunting it for 500 miles, just cruised through town, after a couple days, it was perfect, I never changed it..

10,000 miles later I'm still stunting on the same clutch, that was once 'burnt and toast' but now works perfect LMAO
Old 01-20-2008, 02:46 PM

steve02r6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a ASV lever on my bike last year and was going to go with a Moose lever not the easy pull system just the lever. Anybody have any experience wiht the Moose or should I just go MSR.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:58 PM
FTP!

Nappy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
no it wont work....your gaining mechanical leverage but your losing travel....your clutch will drag when pulled in all the way, the cable wont pull enough to disengage your clutch
+1 Happened to me on my F3 and F4i. Use the MSR alone. Run the cables right and it will be like butter.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 AM

It's probably them springs

If you still have your stock springs, you MAY be able to put them back in (check with someone else on that though cause I'm not sure..)

I know most aftermarket clutches, have stiffer springs, so the clutch engauges harder
When we put a barnet clutch in my friends raptor660, his clutch pull got WAY stiffer.. The kit said right on it "if clutch pull is too hard, install the factory springs"

also do not losen the springs, they need whatever torque they are made for.. But you can change the springs out i'm pretty sure

And if your burning clutches up, your doing something SERIOUSLY WRONG! I'm still on the OEM bone stock clutch in my f4i, and I have 26,000 on in! I bought the bike with 14,000 miles, and put 12,000 hard miles on it..

Hell even once, at about 16,000 I was learning rolling burnouts, and I burnt my clutch to hell... I tried rolling a burnout at about 30, and juts slipped my clutch and burnt it to **** for about 20 seconds near rev limiter...
After that, I tried clutching up a 1st gear at 30mph, the bike would NOT come up..

I got on the highway, EVERY gear I put it in, if I hit the throttle it went straight to redline...

I quit stunting it for 500 miles, just cruised through town, after a couple days, it was perfect, I never changed it..

10,000 miles later I'm still stunting on the same clutch, that was once 'burnt and toast' but now works perfect LMAO

I think your right, i think it is the springs. and i adjusted the cable near the clutch arm and the pull got easier. now its pretty easy to pull in. Here are the times i burnt my clutch
1st- Trying to do my First burnout and let the clutch out too slow tire didnt spin and i stayed on the gas for about 25 seconds at 10,000 rpm
Second - Learning rolling burnouts ....wasn't totally done but changed it anyway
Third- Burned it up trying to learn drifting....I still have this clutch installed. doesn't slip at all but i had to adjust the cable all the way so it engages fully.

The good news is i can do burnouts and drifting now without burning up my clutch lol

And i threw away my stock springs,, when i buy a new clutch should i just get the stock OEM clutch plates and springs?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 AM

Ghini is a decent person

buy some oem springs and put those in, clean your clutch cable and lube it up, make sure it routed correctly (fewest bends possible), the hole closest to the bars is the easy setting on MSR raptor levers, make sure the little guide thing is lined up in the right slot too...should be sweet like mayonaise.

I put a MSR pro raptor lever on my quad, clean all my **** up and lubed it a few months ago and it made all the difference in the world. the only thing that sucks about the MSR is the retarded adustment thing, just use the stock one on the MSR perch.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 AM
florida! finally

Nate-VMC is an unknown quantity at this point

those moose systems are garbage.. break easy. have fun with that ****.. just run the lever.. dont be a *****
Old 01-21-2008, 10:22 AM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

Just cut your clutch arm, weld it longer, be done with it

on f4i's you can only go 1/2" longer (DONT GO LONGER OR YOU"LL KICK YOURSELF!)

on bikes like 636 and my 150f, you can go 3/4" or maybe even longer!
somebody should mass produce those $
Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 AM

So does anybody have any comments on just the moose lever, compared to the msr.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
somebody should mass produce those $
If I actually had skills with a welder I would

But if you saw my clutch arms on all my toys, you'd laugh and wouldn't give me more then $5 for one

But eh mine work, and I'm doing all my friends toys because they need a butter clutch like mine :YEAH

Originally Posted by steve02r6

I think they are pretty much the same thing except the moose is older, has less adjustment, and is the older design..
Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 PM

JT905 is a decent person

ive tried both, the moose is garbage! +1000000000 on the msr clutch , i had the moose system on my bike (borrowed from friend to try out) it was brand new 2nd day using it practicing circles i was feathering the clutch and the cable dissconnected wich i hear happens alot
Old 01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

stiffer clutch springs add more life to a clutch.....if your clutch is getting hammered so frequently is either because its out of adjustment, you abuse it or your inner hub and/or clutch basket has some serious grooves in it. Im guessing you bought new fibers and steel plates when you replaced it each time...?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
stiffer clutch springs add more life to a clutch.....if your clutch is getting hammered so frequently is either because its out of adjustment, you abuse it or your inner hub and/or clutch basket has some serious grooves in it. Im guessing you bought new fibers and steel plates when you replaced it each time...?
I think hes just trippin and adjustes his clutch wrong, or burns its BAD and doens't give it time to burn off hte glazing before riding again lol...

Cause im still on a STOCK clutch on my 26,000 mile f4i.. And I burnt it up around 16,000, yet I just kept riding and it eventually started grabbing again....

Either way, 3 clutches on any bike with less then 60k something is wrong

edit: im not sure but when he said moose I think he was talking about hte moose lever
http://www.haibikeshop.com/store/ind...products_id=64

which I believe is just kinda a older version of msr
Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM
soon to be retired

ExtremeAcres is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve02r6
well ...IMO ...Moose ****** sucks ....that stupid easy pull system is older than a 12 year old design (I tried using it on a KX500 I was racing in the mid 90's) It was junk back then ...and it is still junk.

For that reason ...i wouldn't buy any moose products unless they truly and easily surpassed all other brands. Stupid easy pull ****** crap-o-waste -o-money.

I agree that extended clutch arms are the best ....msr raptor is second best...AND I also agree (from experience) that two mods in conjunction with each other is TOO MUCH...and does NOT work as good as either Mod works by itself
Old 01-21-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ExtremeAcres
well ...IMO ...Moose ****** sucks ....that stupid easy pull system is older than a 12 year old design (I tried using it on a KX500 I was racing in the mid 90's) It was junk back then ...and it is still junk.

For that reason ...i wouldn't buy any moose products unless they truly and easily surpassed all other brands. Stupid easy pull ****** crap-o-waste -o-money.

I agree that extended clutch arms are the best ....msr raptor is second best...AND I also agree (from experience) that two mods in conjunction with each other is TOO MUCH...and does NOT work as good as either Mod works by itself
1 that moose lever is the same design as the msr just with 2 adjustments instead of 3... 10 years old? so whats that make the msr, 9 years old?

2 extedned clutch arms + msr's do work together.. Thats the boss setup most everyone uses.. Why WOULDN"t they work together? Hell I got about 3/4" freeplay in my clutch if I don't lock the adjuster to have it close to my bar.. And thats with a MSR + 1/2" longer clutch arm..

Btw my clutch is soo easy to pulll.. I'll never get strained..
with JUST a msr I was still getting fatigued.. Only thing holding my riding back was my clutch finger getting tired.. I always get tired and get sloppy on the clutch, and start pulling on it mid wheelie, and slipping it weird when trying to pop one up.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 PM

Bones315 is a decent person

+1 im going to go with the msr pro raptor on my f4easy, like i said before my boy had that setup on his and hasnt had any problems his cable still looks new,plus the arm mod sounds like it woulld help alot .
Old 01-21-2008, 04:01 PM

Ghini is a decent person

okay there is some confusion in this thread...there are three things being talked about:

1) MSR Pro Raptor EZ-Pull Lever
2) Moose EZ-Pull Lever
3) Moose EZ-Pull "System"

If you were to do a search (god forbid) on this topic, you'd find that EVERYONE HATES the Moose EZ-Pull "System". Which is the box with the stupid pulleys and **** thats got an awesome reputation for fraying cables and looping people mid wheelie.

Then you have the two LEVERS, both the Moose and MSR LEVERS use the same perch. There are only 2 differencesbetween them:

1) the MSR has 3 options for adjustment while the Moose only has two.
2) the MSR is a square-ish lever w/ a rubber "pad" for your finger while the moose is just a regular style clutch lever

Both share the same SHITTY adjuster that should be propmtly throwin in the fire as soon as you open the box...just use the stock adjuster. Some say the moose lever is slighly better quality...whatever they are pretty much the same damn thing. I have the MSR, its good.

Bottom line don't buy the Moose EZ Pull System...it blows big fat donkey **** and will cause you to loop.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:33 PM

ya i adjusted the cable by the clutch arm and my msr clutch is really easy to pull in now
Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 PM

Yup I was just talking about the Moose lever, but after all this im going to go with the msr lever, im going to fab up a clutch arm 1/2 inch longer also and see how that goes
Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 PM

how come u cant make the clutch arm bigger than 1/2 inches ???

Quick Reply: Moose Easy pull system + msr clutch