your first big sprocket!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM

mike1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
your first big sprocket!!!

no this isnt one of those squidly threads askin "what size should i run"!

i want everyone to share ur stories on your first big sprocket! how many teeth did you go up? remember how it felt the first time you clutched it up and it felt like the bike just pulled itself up!? its almost like losin your virginity all over again! ur a little nervous, really excited, and soon as you clutch it all you can think is WOW!!!

my first big sprocket was +14 on my first f4i and i honestly wasnt ready for it... yea i learned bp but my throttle control was shitty. i took some advice from the people who knew what they were talkin about and went back stock, and learned smooth throttle and a lil thing called rear brake! so i recently ordered another +14 and finally got to ride it yesterday and i fell in love all over again!!! but this time i'm smooth (the moral here to all you squidies out there is that YES big sprockets are an amazing thing but ONLY after u learn smooth throttle/brake control)

ok now i wanna hear it! whats your big sprocket story?!?!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Professional Work Avoider

GSXR Carlos will become famous soon enoughGSXR Carlos will become famous soon enough
Re: your first big sprocket!!!

Cheers for the advice, i'm ordering a 49 tooth soon, up 6 from stock, just to make it a bit easier, so i can concentrate on my throttle control and rear brake
Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Race To The Grave

AntwanRTTG is an unknown quantity at this point

-3/+15 ... yeah ... bought a new subframe that week too.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:50 AM

ecthemc is a decent person

My story is

I went from riding underpowered older sportbikes

To buying a Stunt ready bike with a 64 tooth sproket

Well I set myself up for failure.. I kept thinking tomyself.. why is it so jerky/ all over the place? some other people thought it was just my bike.. nicknamed the death machine by other people because i was all over the fuckn place

Moral to me is.. I shoudlnt of done so.. I learned the hard way. at the end of the summer i had a FEW balance point experiences.. but it fealt so damn good like i couuldnt believe after all the wrecks im finnaly getting it down.. now i got a f4i with like +5 to the back and other ppl said its not enough. but iv watched alot of people ont he bike jus killn it. so this summer.. ima try to get the f4i down pact.. and then hop on the gsxr and see what i can do..

Going from a underpowered stock bike power wheelies.. to a 64 tooth and doing clutch ups and trying not to wreck

STUPID!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

my first big sprocket was a +2

and then i could get it up in second
Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 AM

Lil Krazy is a decent person

I was stock till a few months ago i went to a 7 up and progressd fast and a month ago i went a -2 in the front also and was killin no throttle hand os the first day can can no throttle rl no throttle.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:11 AM

steelhead1 is a decent person

i gotta stock bike and a gixx 750 that's up 15 in the rear. they're both comfortable to me cause i've researched a lot here and read what competant riders have to say and what to expect. i say ****** rock what you wanna. i put db bars, hb (which i don't use yet), steel braided lines, cages, 12 bar, sliders, and a ****** pizza wheel sprocket on my bike i wanna learn how to stunt on. i practice all the time and i'm not that good. but i'll be fucked if most of the people that run their mouths about squids aren't doin the same **** i am. LEARNING. i think what makes you the squid is the ego. not bein right sized thinkin your hot **** cause either A. you know somebody that's really good, or B. you've been here forever and ur post count's high. u gotta be careful about sayin squid this and squid that and then sayin some real nut swingin **** or havin to back peddle when a real rider confronts what you say.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 AM

ecthemc is a decent person

a squid is really someone that puts themself in imminent danger by trying to look cool.. good example of that is people that constantly do tank slappers because they dont know how to controll there brake. iv never had a slapper.. but i dont do wheelies at excess speeds where ill hit the brake so hard it will do so..

pretty much only way to earn your stripes as a squid in my book is reading the arcticle in the newspaper about how some dumbass went out and bought a r1 as his first bike and killed/ or put himself in the hospital. happens all the time here where i ride.. every summer a cpl ppl go off the road in turns cuz they cant handle high speed turns etc.. and etc !
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM

we're not here to talk about what a squid is or isnt.... YES theres a difference between squids and newbe.... and yes we've ALL done squidly things in the past. this thread was for people to share their stories about their first big sprockets so if your gonna bitch then moan about other stuff then

(and no that wasnt intended for any ONE person, this is a no bitching thread thats all)

Last edited by mike1984; 12-20-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM
JCD

JCD is a decent person

/ +8 rear
Old 12-20-2007, 02:39 PM

Juar3z is a decent person

+6.... but I just ordered my +20
Old 12-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Squid Extradoinaire

Vetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to behold

I learned on a 02 zx6r -1 +18. lol.

now i have a 636 and a f4i i both run stock gearing for. id say with 85% of tricks you dont need big sprockets. I want to go up like 10 on my f4i but thats it.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:54 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i learned how to twelve on a 62 tooth first time i clutched it up i jumped out of the gas and slammed my junk against the tank......lol

the second time i just clucthed it a little less and didn't jump out of the gas i just kinda power wheelied it back down
Old 12-20-2007, 02:58 PM

Beto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really nice

first big sprocket was on my old f4i, had a 60 tooth...learned a good bit on that old piece...loved that gearing so much that I put a 60tooth on my new f4i :YEAH
Old 12-20-2007, 03:00 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeM
my first big sprocket was a +2

and then i could get it up in second
same here on my R6. 2nd gear all day long
Old 12-20-2007, 03:02 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AntwanRTTG
-3/+15 ... yeah ... bought a new subframe that week too.
lol
Old 12-20-2007, 03:38 PM

skidmark is a decent person

i learned stock, but eventually got a 57 tooth cuz it was cheap... It definetly helped. 1st pop with the big sprocket i slammed the bar cuz I was used to raping the clutch :D
Old 12-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

I went from stock f4i for over a year, only doing idle staggards and highway wheelies... to f4i with +8 -2.. Within minutes of riding on it I learned sit down idles, and I got my idles down WAY slower..
Very next day I started learning circles and spun 2 at best..
third day I was spinning 2 circles over and over

Haven't been out since due to shitty weather, but I gotta say I love the gearing..

Originally Posted by atnuts
same here on my R6. 2nd gear all day long
hell on my f4i with 26,000 on it and a bad clutch, I can clutch up 3rd gear all day long with stock gearing

No 2nd gear, its shot.. So if I wanna rock one on the freeway, its 3rd gear
Old 12-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Beto
first big sprocket was on my old f4i, had a 60 tooth...learned a good bit on that old piece...loved that gearing so much that I put a 60tooth on my new f4i :YEAH
haha same here! the good thing about +14 (60th) is that 2nd feels just about like 1st stock and 3rd feels about like second.... then 1st is for idle stuff only
Old 12-20-2007, 04:41 PM

VerticalLimits is a decent person

My first big sprocket was -3 +17 (60th rear) on my 750, probably one of the biggest mistakes i made and caused me to progress alot slower, must say my throttle control is now pimp, but could of been there ALOT sooner had i not made such a drastic change in the gearing. I went through 4 sub frames, but that's part of learning! that's just the expensive part so i geared it down to 55th and progressed ALOT, so I'm actually gearing it down again, from -3 +12 to -1 +12.... and leaving it at that....

Quick Reply: your first big sprocket!!!