Freestyle Ingenuity cage for 929's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:03 AM

Insane J is an unknown quantity at this point
Freestyle Ingenuity cage for 929's?

I really like the design and all, and i'm thinking about getting one, BUT: They looks so terrible weak

How are they holding up?? I'm known to crash alot, and I want to get me a good cage, especially for that kind of money...

I see those cages alot on 929's, so what are they like??
Old 12-12-2007, 06:12 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Freestyle Ingenuity cage for 929's?

Mine has always worked awesome and I have the original design. The new design is supposed to be a ton better.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:20 AM

But I seen many sliders of the cage bent cause of a hard drop on the cage... Have you ever dropped the bike hard on it's cage? and it stayed OK?

and what are the differences in the old and the new design?? any pics or specs to explain?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:23 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Some circle high sides back in the day. Usually bent sliders means lack of maitenence. You gotta keep cages tight.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 AM

keep cages tight??? damn, my cage on my old f2 took some heavy beating, did it's work perfectly, never bented, never cracked or broke... nothing...

And did I do any maintainance to it? nope, give it a lil. spray paint every once in a while, but that's about it...

What about other people's opinions/experiences?

Not that I don't believe you Nags, I know you've been doing this game much lobnger then I do, but I would like to get some more input about this
Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 AM

I guess im just a fan of keeping parts tight on my bike.. Call me crazy
Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 AM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

FrankieG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nags
Nags is exactly right...I crashed my 929 very very hard....and the FI cage held up real well....i went through many sliders .....

I even bent my engine bolts several times and just had to replace them....If the cage wasn't always tight like nags said I would have had stripped out motormounts....

The new design is much better for your subframe...

Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 AM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

OH Nags is CRAZY!!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 AM

Nah, as I hear all this I don't think the FI cage is something for me... I don't want to buy new parts after every crash... Then Pay the high shipping + tax costs cause I live in Holland, nah, that just ain't gonna work...

Probably try to fix my own cage then...
Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 AM

I dont think youre understanding how the cage works. The sliders wear down from rubbing the pavement just like youre tires... as opposed to a cage thats going to have metal hitting the ground... Im still on my first and only set of sliders.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:46 AM

ecthemc is a decent person

This is my 2 cents on FI Cages.. There good.. Some certain drops can and WILL rip your motor mount.. bend the damn Slider etc..

Iv bent mine back on the right side of my gsxr many times..

I'v stripped the bolts etc.. You should see one of the bolts i took out of it.. It look all fusion welded - like there wasnt threads in certain spots.

What do I recommend on a FI CAGE? Like nags said. Tighten those bolts all the time. if you ride every day.. check them every day. regardless of wrecks or not.. good way to check is just kick the ******* thing.. if it wiggles replace it.. and if it wiggles.. your damn lucky you didnt rip that ****** off !!

Another +.. Down grade the bolts - I forgot the system.. if higher is stronger.. and lower is weaker.. but i think the ones on mine are 5's.. and thats weak.. I'd rather drill out the bolt - or weld something to the bolt and take it out that way. than the bolt holding strong and ripping my mount out.. But I dont own a 929 or know how they are set up..

that's just my 2 cents.. I'v got a FI cage on F4i. and one on my gsxr. iv looped my gsxr many times.. BOTH WAYS.. its flipped.. all ways. and I still have a cage- a support on the right side broke off.. but thats it

-eric

Heres an example of what can happen when its loose.. and i was damn lucky it didnt rip out my mount.

Last edited by ecthemc; 12-12-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 AM

I dont think youre understanding how the cage works. The sliders wear down from rubbing the pavement just like youre tires... as opposed to a cage thats going to have metal hitting the ground... Im still on my first and only set of sliders.

but you never fell quite hard, and bent the slider? That's what i meant by buying new parts, if it's bent, you've to buy a new one again...
Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM

ecthemc is a decent person

Originally Posted by Insane J
but you never fell quite hard, and bent the slider? That's what i meant by buying new parts, if it's bent, you've to buy a new one again...
I used a Sledge hammer and a torch.. all the tube bent parts.. i heated up and pounded.. if it breaks.. i'll just weld it.. reninforce it. w/e

You CAN replace it.. If you look at your bike like the egg theory.. then replace it.. but if you look at your bike like the tank theory. grab a hammer and a torch.. and if needed a welder
Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 PM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

That's unbelievable!!! I pancaked my bike a few times and the sliders just explode!!!

That cage takes abuse....
Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 PM

krazykyle85 is a decent person

i recomend the F.I. cage for sure.... strong as ****... as long as you keep the bolts tight....
i tightn then atleast everyonther ride, otherwise it woill bend the motor mount bolts or break subframes an whatnot...

also to fix the "exploding" slider problem. i went thru mcmaster carr mailorder an ordered some stronger material...like a hard derlin plastic...
machined it down an notched it so i can put a stiff spring in there to cushion the blow... haha

havent had a problem since...
not that i did have a problem, jus that stock sliders started to wear fast an a bent motormount bolt.... no big deal.. couple bucks
Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Waiting For Email Confirmation

kipROCKet is a decent person

They are pretty sick if you like this sight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZ7PWlLoqI
Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

Originally Posted by krazykyle85
i recomend the F.I. cage for sure.... strong as ****... as long as you keep the bolts tight....
i tightn then atleast everyonther ride, otherwise it woill bend the motor mount bolts or break subframes an whatnot...

also to fix the "exploding" slider problem. i went thru mcmaster carr mailorder an ordered some stronger material...like a hard derlin plastic...
machined it down an notched it so i can put a stiff spring in there to cushion the blow... haha

havent had a problem since...
not that i did have a problem, jus that stock sliders started to wear fast an a bent motormount bolt.... no big deal.. couple bucks

+100000000 on different material, I actually did some research and found that a material HSMV, you can buy it in 10 - 30 foot legnths and different sizes...

This material is AWESOME 10X better than stock delrin! When your bike hits this slider it actually absorbs a protion of the impact which helps take the stress and shock off the slider/bolt/threads....the material it self is softer than delrin so it rubs away faster but i love the shock absorbing principal!

I make these all the time for my cage since i have access to a lathe!:YEAH
Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM

BeLLiSSimO1 is an unknown quantity at this point

For 929 954, ecspecially if your learning, i would not get one, not to disagree with nags, but ive seen 3 differnt bikes with fi cages bust the ears off the frame of the 929... Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 PM

illegal_skillz is a decent person

SI makes a really good cage for the 929, but again, it's all about keeping the bolts tight and maintained
Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 PM

krazykyle85 is a decent person

Originally Posted by BeLLiSSimO1
For 929 954, ecspecially if your learning, i would not get one, not to disagree with nags, but ive seen 3 differnt bikes with fi cages bust the ears off the frame of the 929... Just my 2 cents...

i agree certain bikes are more likely to break frames an whatnot with a F.I. cage...
but for a f4i... there badass...
im switching to a MXD cage because the fi hits when i try an drift an do crazy larrys.... get a MXD cage if you want bullet proof!

Quick Reply: Freestyle Ingenuity cage for 929's?