If I keep the stock front sprocket, and just go up +5 in rear sprocket...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:24 AM

ON1WHEEL is an unknown quantity at this point
If I keep the stock front sprocket, and just go up +5 in rear sprocket...

Will I really see that much of a difference? I ordered -1 front and +5 rear from kneedraggers. First I wanted the all black rear, I placed the order, everything was fine. Then they email me and they said it wasn't in stock, but they had the aluminum in stock, so I said, **** it, I need sprockets ASAP so send em.

Then, last week I get the chain I ordered, but no sprockets. I call them and apparently Vortex front sprockets are being held in customs right now. So they have the rear in stock right now waiting for the front to come in. Then said I could do the 520 conversion because those are in stock. But of course, thats more money, and of course, they don't want to eat the cost even though they should. I think they should eat that price since that would be getting 2 things I didn't want from the start. I started off ordering a black front and rear 525 pitch, and ended up willing to settle for aluminum 520 pitch, and they wouldn't work with me. They said the manager would call me, but he never did, so moral of the story, **** kneedraggers.

Now, my question is, if I just say **** it, and have them send the rear sprocket and cancel the front sprocket, am I losing out or should I still be good for slow stuff? I mean, I know you can do it on stock sprockets, but Im just trying to move up in the world of slow wheelies and eventually evolve to circles etc etc.

Thanks for input.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Lil Krazy is a decent person
Re: If I keep the stock front sprocket, and just go up +5 in rear sprocket...

Originally Posted by ON1WHEEL
Will I really see that much of a difference? I ordered -1 front and +5 rear from kneedraggers. First I wanted the all black rear, I placed the order, everything was fine. Then they email me and they said it wasn't in stock, but they had the aluminum in stock, so I said, **** it, I need sprockets ASAP so send em.

Then, last week I get the chain I ordered, but no sprockets. I call them and apparently Vortex front sprockets are being held in customs right now. So they have the rear in stock right now waiting for the front to come in. Then said I could do the 520 conversion because those are in stock. But of course, thats more money, and of course, they don't want to eat the cost even though they should. I think they should eat that price since that would be getting 2 things I didn't want from the start. I started off ordering a black front and rear 525 pitch, and ended up willing to settle for aluminum 520 pitch, and they wouldn't work with me. They said the manager would call me, but he never did, so moral of the story, **** kneedraggers.

Now, my question is, if I just say **** it, and have them send the rear sprocket and cancel the front sprocket, am I losing out or should I still be good for slow stuff? I mean, I know you can do it on stock sprockets, but Im just trying to move up in the world of slow wheelies and eventually evolve to circles etc etc.

Thanks for input.

your getting fucked
Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM

skinnyR! is a decent person

Originally Posted by Lil Krazy
your getting fucked
Ya, what he said.

520 kits are cheaper than 525 or 530. smaller=cheaper
Old 08-30-2007, 02:44 PM

I know this, which is why I will never order from them again. But if I have them send me just the rear, it will be quicker and easier than just canceling it and going somewhere else. Which is why I ask, if I don't go -1 in the front, will it be that big a difference?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Sparks! is an unknown quantity at this point

I learnt to go slow on -1 + 6 I could wheely pretty slow on stock as well but the -1 + 6 helped, i got idle on that. then I went for a 60T rear as I only really do lot stuff and learning circles etc.. so I'd say get a -1 front if you can.. I thought it was a good . if not then go for a + 8/10 and stock front as its a similar ratio
Old 08-30-2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sparks!
I learnt to go slow on -1 + 6 I could wheely pretty slow on stock as well but the -1 + 6 helped, i got idle on that. then I went for a 60T rear as I only really do lot stuff and learning circles etc.. so I'd say get a -1 front if you can.. I thought it was a good . if not then go for a + 8/10 and stock front as its a similar ratio
Yeah I just had them ship out a +7 rear and a stock front. I mean it doesn't really make a difference if its the same ratio does it?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:49 PM

+7 and stock front will still be a bit better than stock for going slow as long as both sprockets and the chain are the same pitch it is all good (i.e all 520 or all 525)
Old 08-30-2007, 03:54 PM

+7 and stock front will still be a bit better than stock for going slow as long as both sprockets and the chain are the same pitch it is all good (i.e all 520 or all 525)
Yeah they are the same pitch, thanks. You only think it will be "a bit" better though?
Old 08-30-2007, 04:08 PM

The thing I find is that clutching it up is fairly similar on any gearing, the only time I "really" notice a bigger sprocket is the ability to go slower without stalling and more engine brake. I can clutch on standard gearing almost as well as with my 60T.. I was dissapointed when I put my 60t on after riding on +6 for so long as I was expecting it to make everything easy but really it just helps with the not-stalling thing.

Of course though if you rely on a big sprocket to get it up and hold it up rather than clutch throttle and brake control then you will notice a much bigger difference.

Don't worry about it, fit it up , you'll be fine and you will like it. :YEAH practice lots and you'll be good with it.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 PM

The thing I find is that clutching it up is fairly similar on any gearing, the only time I "really" notice a bigger sprocket is the ability to go slower without stalling and more engine brake. I can clutch on standard gearing almost as well as with my 60T.. I was dissapointed when I put my 60t on after riding on +6 for so long as I was expecting it to make everything easy but really it just helps with the not-stalling thing.

Of course though if you rely on a big sprocket to get it up and hold it up rather than clutch throttle and brake control then you will notice a much bigger difference.

Don't worry about it, fit it up , you'll be fine and you will like it. :YEAH practice lots and you'll be good with it.
Thanks for the info bro.:YEAH :YEAH :YEAH
Old 08-30-2007, 05:20 PM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve

you want to change the front back and chain at the same time, or they will wear faster and unevenly.
plus, with that particular sprocket combo, it will be impossible to wheelie
Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 PM

cashmoneyflo is a decent person

aluminum (softer) will wear a ton faster, should get steel sprockets or hard anodized... i think thats what i've heard is correct
Old 08-30-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by aw0n0
you want to change the front back and chain at the same time, or they will wear faster and unevenly.
plus, with that particular sprocket combo, it will be impossible to wheelie
Yeah, I got the chain already, front and rear are on the way, I just stuck with the stock front size and went +7 on the rear.