The Ultimate Dampner!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:48 PM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person
The Ultimate Dampner!!!

I've been trying to find the best steering dampner forever, some are ok but always have free play in the middle no matter what you do even the ohlins. I just got the new pinless design from GPR and have to give it up to them, it's rock solid!! If you want to roll long stoppies it's a must you have a good dampner that tightens up enough to prevent headshake. The new 8 clicker design they have is serious, it's adjustability is infinate. There is 8 clicks but every centimeter you move the wheel is get's stiffer so there is way more than 8 adjustment points, probably hundreds. There is no freeplay in the middle, most dampners out there have lots of freeplay, by this I mean when you lift the front wheel off the ground with a jack and tighten the dampner all the way you can still move the bars like a 1/4 inch or more each way which can lead to headshake. The new pinless design has none. If you have a older GPR you can convert it to the pinless design for around $100. I'm not sure for which bikes they have the new design for but they said most gsxr's and Honda's. I just put one on my 1000rr and it's as good as it get's!
www.gprstabilizer.com you can also call them at 619-422-5771 ask for Joey.

Last edited by Darius; 04-25-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:00 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Ultimate Dampner!!!

I had my older GPR rebuilt and upgraded to the newer style.....its 100X better than what I previously had, even when it was brand new. Before I was thinking about selling it and getting a different one, now its not going anywhere!!! Works great on my cbr600rr, even with dirtbike bars.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:06 PM

honda4life is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently they dont make a non pin style for my 02 750 yet? I couldnt find one. Oh yeah And whats the deal is Joe staying out there for good? I was gonna see if he could help me set up my suspension on the new bike for stoppies.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:13 PM

JimmyOOOOO is an unknown quantity at this point

I put 80/90 gear oil in my stock 04 GSXR damper and that **** was ROCK SOLID... no wiggle at all... but it was too stiff for the twisties, so I switched over to 10w-40 and not it's nice nice.

When I switched the oil back, I initially had that wiggle room in the middle you are describing, but that's just because there was air in the cylinder... drained it and refilled... good to go.

I'm 1000% positive Im not doing anything near what you are Darius, so YMMV
Old 04-25-2005, 10:19 PM
www.GSENick.com

GSE Nick is a decent person

thanks for the info D....ill have to check it out
Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 PM
SERVIN IT UP

Originally Posted by honda4life
Apparently they dont make a non pin style for my 02 750 yet? I couldnt find one. Oh yeah And whats the deal is Joe staying out there for good? I was gonna see if he could help me set up my suspension on the new bike for stoppies.

you would have to call and talk to Joey, Im not sure if they are listing the new design on the website yet, and I think Joe B will be here for a while so your gonna have to Pm him for the info on the front end setup.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:27 PM
SERVIN IT UP

Originally Posted by JimmyOOOOO
I put 80/90 gear oil in my stock 04 GSXR damper and that **** was ROCK SOLID... no wiggle at all... but it was too stiff for the twisties, so I switched over to 10w-40 and not it's nice nice.

When I switched the oil back, I initially had that wiggle room in the middle you are describing, but that's just because there was air in the cylinder... drained it and refilled... good to go.

I'm 1000% positive Im not doing anything near what you are Darius, so YMMV

sounds like a good setup, the only draw back is the stock dampner has no adjustability.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:28 PM
SERVIN IT UP

Originally Posted by GSE Nick
thanks for the info D....ill have to check it out
Im tellin ya man this new design is off the hook!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:42 PM
"Back on the Block"

JohnnyBmore will become famous soon enough

I need one for my 900RR bad dout they make one for my **** ???????
Old 04-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Silly R1 is a decent person

I cant beleive they make it for my bike, (04 R1) a little drilling the frame never hurt anyone. lol
great info though i never here much feedback on that company, always wondered. I've used scotts forever.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:00 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person

FYI, it's a steering damper, not steering dampNer.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:00 AM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough

Have one for me asap sukka
Old 04-26-2005, 12:06 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

That freeplay in the middle that some dampers have don't really affect stoppies though. I've never had a problem with my ohlins.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:10 AM

94PORKCHOP is an unknown quantity at this point

i wish they made something for the my older f2
Old 04-26-2005, 12:14 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

thewibb is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the cost on the new style the same as the old ones? Or did they jack it up? I had heard that the GPR's were leak prone as well... any truth to this?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:33 AM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thewibb
Is the cost on the new style the same as the old ones? Or did they jack it up? I had heard that the GPR's were leak prone as well... any truth to this?
my old style never leaked, but the square peg coming out of the bottom rounded off after a really hard drop that twisted the front end bad......$50 and gunner from GPR not only fixed it but upgraded everything but the pinless adapter......works great now :YEAH
Old 04-26-2005, 12:44 AM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kyle_PBZ
FYI, it's a steering damper, not steering dampNer.
haha i was waitin for someone to point that out.

thanks for the info darius, ill have to check them out. i was thinkin about a scotts for the 954 but maybe ill grab up one of these
Old 04-26-2005, 12:46 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Originally Posted by nags
That freeplay in the middle that some dampers have don't really affect stoppies though. I've never had a problem with my ohlins.
yes it does Nags, saying a little freeplay doesnt affect anything is retarded. So a little freeplay doesnt affect anything, does that mean alot of freeplay doesnt affect anything? where do you draw the line on what is too much? to me any slop is too much.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:47 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Darius
yes it does Nags, saying a little freeplay doesnt affect anything is retarded. So a little freeplay doesnt affect anything, does that mean alot of freeplay doesnt affect anything? where do you draw the line on what is too much? to me any slop is too much.

I dunno.. As high as my stoppies are, I've never had that little freeplay affect anything at all. I don't even keep my damper that tight...

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Dampner!!!