Stunting In Mx Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:34 PM

butterfly is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stunting In Mx Helmets

Apparently he was doing about 50km/h. He was standing on the tank and then spunaround to land on the seat backwards. He has done it before successfully. I have been told that it looked like he was going too slow and the bike started to wobble as he spun around. Something stuck him under the chin as he has a big hole there and he has multiple fractures in his jaw.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:42 PM

hot magma is a decent person

One of the guys I used to ride with had a KTM supermoto, he always wore a MX helmet. On night we were at the spot doing endos and he hit a guy on an atc, flipped over, he was doing about 15mph when they hit, the helmet split in half. His head was fine but he broke his wrist.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:43 PM

felonyfreestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

im glad to see those pics, the last thing i read said "he lost his face below his nose" storys get out of control, tell him if i was a girl id still hit on him LOL, with your permission of course. he looks like hell be fine. best of luck
Old 03-15-2005, 04:58 PM

ripley311 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its funny how many people buy into the ad campaigns for the high end helmets. I do believe that the high end helmets are better, just not 3-5x better as the price might make you think. Good helmets are lighter more comfortable and have better features. They are probably marginally better in crashes, however most stunting crashes are low speed and not very serious. If you hit your head however the helmet will need to be replaced. Most people are much more likely to replace a cheap helmet in this situation. So a cheap helmet that is brand new is going to protect a lot better than a shoei that has been crashed in once or twice. I've also seen guys that leave their brand new high end helmets on the curb when they stunt because the dont want to tear them up.
The main problem with mx helmets for steet use is wind pulling up on the visor. For parking lot stunting I think they are great. You can also pick them up very cheap so you can get a couple. There is alway the chance that you will not be protected when you are wearing a helmet of any kind, but you stack the odds in your favor by wearing a helmet of any kind. As for you guys who can afford several new high end helmets each year I'm jealous of you.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:13 PM

Spencer75south is an unknown quantity at this point

ive got an MX helmet for sale.... any one want it, its cheap!!! lol

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117612
Old 03-15-2005, 08:44 PM

felonyfreestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

i wrecked doin 50 in my $600 arai and didnt even get a headache. the insureance company gave me 500 bucks for it to. now i stunt in a 80 mx helmet, im retarded
Old 03-15-2005, 09:12 PM

AzN~BoI_585 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well what if u get a Arai MX helmet? Anyone here rock the XD? as sum ppl kno from a couple of my posts and threads Im thinkin bout getting one...just wanna kno if there was anymore info on em'
Old 03-15-2005, 09:28 PM

Brian~11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear if u land on the front of an MX helmet,,,it will dig into the pavement and pull ur neck... A friend of mine strained his neck with one..It pulled his head down out of line with his body... He said that a street helmet would have slid more and not had such a violent pull on his neck He wiped out rolling a stoppie.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:44 AM

Lotensin22 can only hope to improve

I flipped an endo and cracked my Arai RX-7 damn near off my head. I also got knocked out. It's called, "Sh*t Happens."

I now only wear Shoei though...I like them better, I don't need to hook for a week to get one...and everybody I've ever seen crash in one, their head is fine.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:45 PM

trixstar04 is an unknown quantity at this point

we just got sponsored by bell helmets and they send us the mx ones first cause the new model street helmets are not produced yet and so I have been rockin it every once in a while and I love it. I hit the freeways and everything just put on some sunglasses and your good. You guys think about the bad **** to much man just get out there and ride and be careful and you probably wont have to see how much your helmet will protect you. I have been stunting for a while now and I have not gone down once because I know my limits and know what my abilities are. If you sit and dwell on "oh no what if I crash" then you probably will. Anyways If the mx helmet is all that I had I would rock it everyday freeway or parking lot. Just be careful and rock whatever you want and can afford.

TRIXSTARZ.COM
Old 03-17-2005, 05:36 AM

zx636skiv is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for. No I can't afford a $600 helmet everytime I fall off, but I sure as hell ain't putting a $50 lid on my noggin. I've wiped twice wearing Shoei's and both held up. The worst one I was doing about 50 mph when I highsided while avoiding an accident. I rolled for about 200' and hit my head no less than 3 times. Every part of my body was sore except for my head. Yeah, I will always have a full face, and always have a decent lid on my head. I don't trush MX lids, because I believe they were designed for off road, and that's where they belong.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bikewreck07.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	128720   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikewreck08.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	128721   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikewreck09.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	128722  
Old 03-17-2005, 05:48 AM

Artiom can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by keeth
Dirt bike helmets are gay
u r gay ! I got one and I love it,makes me c around better,I hate helmets so I got dirtbike one so I had smth to protect my brains.lol
Old 03-17-2005, 05:55 AM

Artiom can only hope to improve

I crashed hard in HJC,I had headaic and other ****,I crashed in Arai even harder and didn't have ****.Slow stuff I can't see as much in Arai and it's not as dangerous as highspeed.So dirtbike helmet works good.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:46 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

MX helmet is better then no helmet at all.

Without that helmet it probably would have been different thread=RIP 000
Old 03-17-2005, 07:04 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

agreed,a helmet should be about comfort and safety...stunting im more comfortable with a more open feild of view that the MX helmet offers.its DOT/Snell rated so im confident with it.