Am Vs. Pro

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 04:25 PM

fastgix is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Am Vs. Pro

ok i have a few ideas..... i see people who compete in the AM induvidual but their team is in Pro team. that aint right . id say if you do Anything Pro you Shouldnt be able to do AM.... Also if you win the AM you shouldnt be able to do AM anymore. that should give new comers more chance.,, and i think that first place AM should pay less than the lowest paying pro,, say if third place Pro is 300 then first place AM should be 200. that should cut down on sandbagging,, AM class shouldnt be a hand out but a stepping stone.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:32 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by vertical_joe
I think they are saying that if you eliminate am payouts then you will reduce the number of sandbaggers.
Yeah, thats probly the ticket right there. Add me to back that idea. I think I would actually go to comps and enter if it was like that.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Mrs ATL Freestyle

naturalborn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
well, lemme know your plans once you've got a chance to catch your breath.

wanna come down. depends on how my knee feels, and if it feels good, depends on the rules and payouts of the show...i'm in email contact with leslie, so we'll see...gotta get to florida at some point to get ready for some stuff coming !!!

keep on keepin on!
yea i was thinking of an event in August, maybe somewhere in here in atl if not def in ala at that track again, there are seriously so few rules, sweet track, relaxed owner, etc...... so if there is some schedule put me down, i have 9 months to prepare, :YEAH
Old 11-16-2004, 05:03 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

i thought it was ok beside the am/pro thing but thats been the same every event. i had fun and you looked out for me, kinda though celeb status did not quite work

best thing about the event was winner was decided after each event. i did not notice if scores were given after each run or not.

if they werent i think that would be cool. one person comes and gets the cards from the judges reads the scores then puts the cards in a safe place.

see you in Dec girly
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 PM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough

its all about announcing the winners as the events end.....

and yeah amatuers should be getting free ****....cages, helmets, gloves whatever....no $$$$
Old 11-16-2004, 05:20 PM

fastgix is an unknown quantity at this point

i wouldnt say no cash, because people drive hours to get there , they have time money gas wear and tear to maybe win a helmet ,lol. i dont think that would be kool . thats why i said it should be cheaper than pro. say if third place Pro is $300 then first place AM should be like 200 or 100 and a helmet. so at least you get what gas money and travel time ya made paid for plus ya walk away with a helmet too. gear is a good thing to give to AM tho cuz Pros should probably have sponsors who give them stuff ya know.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fastgix
i wouldnt say no cash, because people drive hours to get there , they have time money gas wear and tear to maybe win a helmet ,lol. i dont think that would be kool . thats why i said it should be cheaper than pro. say if third place Pro is $300 then first place AM should be like 200 or 100 and a helmet. so at least you get what gas money and travel time ya made paid for plus ya walk away with a helmet too. gear is a good thing to give to AM tho cuz Pros should probably have sponsors who give them stuff ya know.

good point and i feel ya, but where do you draw the line? add up that measly 100 here, 200 there and pretty soon you just dropped the freestyle purse by a grand.

i think a lot of the newer guys have it too easy. back in teh day, we used to drive forever just to hang out and ride with people, or do a show bc they allowed us..for no money.

too many stunters expecting something. go out and get it. there are not that many people who are sponsored...only a few who do it right, and a few who do it wrong; but that is slowly changing.

some good points about Am vs Expert, as well as announcing the results. but there are a few lingering things for a successful event to happen.

organization is the foremost key. directly related to that is the number and type of events you have...slow wheelie with 40 competitors is not going to cut it for the riders or the fans. gear the show towards the fans while making it a real comp for the riders; you just gotta get the right events in there. too bad none of you made it to maine for the VErtical Outlaws event: wheelie race around the track, timed endo, last man standing, freestyle indiv, and freestyle team. ALL done in 4 hours to a few thousand cheering fans...and this was on a day when there was NASCRAP about 1.5 hours away, as well as the rain date, as well as 45 degree temps.....how come they got a good crowd who cheered like crazy, and how come the show only lasted 4 hours for the fans??? because they had the right events and were organized.

the last thing is judging. something needs to be done about this. too many people judging who have no right to be there, dont know there *** from their face, or cant stand being stingy with points. there needs to be some sort of consistency and i dont know how, really, to do that. i've been on both sides of the fence, one more than the other....i've won comps i felt i shouldnt have and i've lost comps where i couldnt believe it. i've watched riders get scored for completing something they didnt, i've even watched the score sheet changed right in front of my face to land me in the loser's position...its a bitch and i hate when it happens to me and others. that is why i am so skeptical about travelling down south where there are no rules or guidelines...

enough rambling, i need to grade some tests
Old 11-16-2004, 08:51 PM
www.ChicagoRiders.com

Robbie can only hope to improve

no offence to anyone....
but i have been to a few comps where the riders rode in pro where they should have been in am....

w/e
Old 11-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Robbie
no offence to anyone....
but i have been to a few comps where the riders rode in pro where they should have been in am....

w/e

that is fine...that is also what qualifying is for.

and another note, promoters need to schedule the gate for the general audience to open AFTER most or all of the qualifying has taken place...leaving just the top howevermanyriders to compete later on that day or that weekend in the final in front of the fans, thus giving the fans a better quality show as well as one that was not repetetive or boring.

this leads to more fans...more exposure...yaddayaddayadda
Old 11-16-2004, 10:51 PM

BunaRocket is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Vertical Joe, I'd rather put my skillz up against the best and possibly loose than go against those that I'm better than I get instant money.

NO money for amatuers no matter how far you drove, etc... We all put in the same time, and go through the same sacrifices, and all drove a long way away.

I haven't entered amature and won't no matter how hard I loose. As far as entering pro in one and amature in another just because your not as good in that that's . It's all or nothing!

People need to start having confidence in their riding, and when they are out classed watch, learn, go home and practice to kill it at the next one.
I can't wait until all of our hard work finally pays off, until then keep on keepin on
Old 11-16-2004, 11:08 PM

GsxrMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Am Vs. Pro

I remember when I went to a stunt show I watched the supposed amature stoppie comp and one of the contestants was busting vertical 100 footers easy, and everyone protested against him and he got thrown out of the comp. Sh*t was funny...
Old 11-16-2004, 11:17 PM

codebluezx9r is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MATT L
EXACTLY....or at least make 1st place in a specific amateur event less than the 3rd place pro event

But I agree with Teach, just eliminate paying the amateur events all together, maybe trophies or somethin
YEAH give them stinkin rookies a trophy......I wanna get paid...lol. If i can ever afford to make it to another comp I seem to keep missing them.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:17 PM

powderpuff24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Becca, your show was great, I give it a 9 out of 10
Old 11-16-2004, 11:25 PM

Scott@STUNTERS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ryan S
when i look at amateur freestyle at some of the comps i've been to this year, there are guys scraping high chairs and pulling some pretty sick stuff off.....why are these guys in amateur?!?!?!?...
who "exactly" is this referring to...?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:31 PM

Kaotic is an unknown quantity at this point

i've seen somone post this before but

Pros should Compete for Cash

Amatures should compete for trophys, so if ya want cash compete with the pros, if ya want a Trophy go Ama.. i think that way works but thats my
Old 11-17-2004, 12:21 AM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think for right now, with how disorganized this "sport" is there should be no payouts for am. but once the sport becomes more organized i think that am should pay out but there needs to be some type of a system that seperates pros from am. once u win 2 u move up or something like that.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:26 AM
2 Up or Shut Up

wheeliesteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
the solution is simple and has been said a million times by now i think.

THERE SHOULD BE NO ****** EFFING PRO OR AMATEUR!!

until there is a national scoring system, there is no difference.

promoters can easily avoid this problem of 'sandbagging' by just pouring the money into the 'PRO' events. amateurs should not make money competing, or if they do, it should be peanuts compared to what the pro category pays.

eliminate payouts in amateur and you eliminate sandbaggers.

sucks that there will be such diversity within the 'pro' ranks, but this should serve as motivation to keep improving yourself so that you can be in the winners' circle.

i wish more promoters would listen to this.
damn teach. you got all the answers. your right though, am. should get trophies. no money. easiest way to solve the sandbagging. been seein' it for years. i haven't competed in am. since the first event i ever entered years ago.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:34 AM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think that the promoters will ever change it. It's up to the riders to do it.
Why rely on someone else to change rules for our own sport?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Regular StuntLifer

clutchit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MATT L
EXACTLY....or at least make 1st place in a specific amateur event less than the 3rd place pro event

But I agree with Teach, just eliminate paying the amateur events all together, maybe trophies or somethin

I agree with this one, trophies would be a good Idea, I know me as a true amatuer would be happy with a trophy.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:24 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, how bout something like this.
1- there is no set scoring for comps yet, but i have an idea that would help.
the judges sit down b4 the comp with a list of stunts and agree to a set amount of points for each one based on if you completed that particular stunt smoothly with a 1 point variance. say you give 3 points for a circle wheelie but only give 2 if it was choppy. do this for a list of stunts, set how many each stunt is worth . then b4 the comp. begins during the riders meeting go over the list so the competitors know what they have accomplish. let it be known that THIS IS THE WAY THE POINT SYSTEM WORKS AND IT IS NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION. at least this way all the competitors know what has to be done AND you have a uniform point scoring system. i know it wont be the same at every comp. but its a start to getting a unified scoring and judging system that even a rookie judge can score properly. i think that could be some of the problem with people not being happy with the results at comps is they dont really know whats expected to earn the points and the judges dont have a system b4 hand to judge uniformly.
2- seperate qualifying for amatures and pro's. this way the judges can see what the skill levels are and they have a better chance of seeing the sand baggers and politely suggesting that they move them selves to the pro side of the comp. judges are the only ones that can and should be making this call. with out someone paying attention to a stunters skills and stepping up and keeping the competitions fair you will always have sand baggers and the comps. will never be "fair". i think this would encourage alot more people like me that can do a little of both, slow and fast but dont have the mad scrapin high chair stuff to enter and your turn outs would get huge.
just a couple ideas.im not sure if they have any merrit, but it sounds like a good place to start. as far as not offering any money for the am. comps. hell ive said it b4 and ill say it again, a trophy is enough for me. im getting older and im figuring we are more paving the road for the younger generation to compete in stuff like the x-games. ill never be in it it personally.

Quick Reply: Am Vs. Pro