ideal shop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 01:12 PM

miked993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ideal shop?

I think the main thing is specializing in people like your selves. I'm not a hard core stunter, and probably wont by a bar or a cage anytime soon. But I would def come down to your bike night and check out the local kids stuntin. If you give some people a place and a chance to show their skills and market to that segment, and carry what they want, you'll sell some ish to them. You just need to get involved in the scene, whereas a typical dealer sells sport bikes and crusiers and dirt bikes and doesnt want to cater just to sport bike riders or stunters because they are scared of us anyway!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:47 PM

BUSA KILLER is an unknown quantity at this point

don't waster your time and money. I have had a shop for 3 yrs no one is never happy. They want you to do it for free. The interenet will oput sell you on tires and such. If you make 1 mistake it gose on to everyone but if you do some one good they don't care. Stay away form stunters they want every thing for free and the have no money. Road racer are where the money is. Work on there bikes no matter what you do to a stunt bike it will still be junk. You need to work 7 days a week and beat every ones prices and have every thing in stock becuse if you don't you suck and they will go every where else and pay more money. It is a no win situation. Good luck do it on the side
Old 11-17-2004, 01:48 PM

Work on harleys my partener make 5 times the money I do and dose alot less than I do.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:44 PM

jbad is an unknown quantity at this point

customer serivce 110%

dont your customers and be real about what you do to their bikes

dont over charge for tire changes and like that

theres a shop here in houston that overcharges you for almost everything
I heard he charges for battery and oil disposal ( because you have to for environmental purposes) but he has also been seen dumping the battery and oil filter in the commercial dumpster that he just charged you for to dispose of properly according to federal and state laws

accomodate to all riders, squids, stunters, racers, posers, everyone, and know the bikes your working on in and out

be fast with your service or set timely expectations up front
Old 11-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand it's almost impossible to satisfy everyone. But By getting input from what other riders want, I can try and make my shop that much better. Myself and Wangsta both plan on going to MMI. I don't think I know of a better school when it comes to bikes. They teach you everything about every bike that every company makes. So we will definately have a knowledgeable staff.

As mush as I'd love to cater to sport bikes, I understand that I cannot do just that or I will be broke. The internet has detroyed the chance of making very good money selling parts. But those guys have to be making money when they do it. So if we can meet internet prices, and not charge shipping, then we should be able to compete.

The mobile mechanic idea is AWESOME. I know a ton of people who would be up for that! Definately a great idea that I will look into. As a fellow rider I don't want to overcharge anyone for things... but they also have to understand I'm trying to make a living and am not going to do things for free. If they have a problem with that, then I'm sorry...

Busa Killer, I was actually thinking about going the harley route. Cause it will definately be better money. But... I can't stand harley guys. Everything is more expensive, and I would make more cash, but it's not my scene. I will still be able to work on them if someone bring me one. Hell if I charge less than the harley dealer, and have all the stuff they're lookin for, they might actually come to me! But to do harley only, I wouldn't be happy.

So basically everyone is looking for a shop with people who know what they're talking about, and love riding as much as they do. Aren't gonna BS them around. Charge fair prices, carry most of the parts they could be looking for or get them in a timely manner, be able to service their bike quickly and efficiently, be able to accomodate all riders and types of riding, have bike nights and things for locals to come and enjoy riding, and just be the best and most honest person I can. Sounds pretty tough... but I honestly plan to make it happen. As long as I can pay my bills... and have enough money for a bike for me to ride, I'll be good.

One last thing. Does anyone know what route I have to take to contact manufacturers and get the bikes I'm going to sell? where do I go for wholesale dealer pricing and mass purchasing of products? anyone know?

Thanks for all the info everyone... keep it comming. Oh, and I promise I'll have a lot and bike night for local stunters and riders.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:42 PM

pm me if you really want to do this I own a full shop and the online as you can see. I don't think you have a real idea off the money aspect you are going to be putting out. My shop is a crap stain of a shop and yet I have dished out almost $300,000 to keep it running, I am no dealership and not going to be any where nere there in a long time. As far as mmi. That school is worthless. As an owner I have yet to hire or even find some one from that school that I would consider hiring even to do simple work as changing a tire. I never went to any school for mechj and I have a business that in a another yr or so I can say I made a dollar or so. If you want vendors help pm me I can point you in the correct direction. But you will first have to have a legit store front and all you business paper work filed. Be prepared to put done some major money if you want to be competive in pricing also.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Regular StuntLifer

is it seriously that bad? Are you just in a shitty area or is running a shop really that rediculous. I mean, I know it's gonna take some serious cash to get it rollin and everything, but I would think you make some diecent money. I'm not tryin to make 6 figures (it would be nice though). I just wanna make enough cash to pay my bills and have some extra money on the side to play with. Don't suppose you could give me some ideas of why it is so hard and pointless by any chance could you? Things to steer clear of maybe?

Also, why do you feel MMI is pointless. Where would you suggest going? and what would you suggest going for? I truly want this to happen. I was going to do it with cars, but after buying a bike and falling in love with them, I have switched my plans. Thanks for the input.

Jon
Old 11-18-2004, 10:23 AM

No I am in one of the highest motorcycle concentrated area in the us. I am the only sportbike only shop in the local 300 mile radius. I have all the other shops beat except for 1 who matches my tire prices. We have a ton of sportbikes here. I have a ton of customers and I do every thing that all the people in the post say they want from a shop. You could ask my customers I sponser stunters take them to far out of state comps and work on there stuff for free. Just a few. My first major problem was getting a building. I started out will a comercial building that was about the size of a 1 1/2 car garage. office and bathroom. I had 6 day a week hrs like you have to have if you want a major part supplier. And I had if you need tires or something I would open up on sunday and work. We also did crash pick up. If some one balled there bike up they would call us and we usally got there and picked up before the po showed up., This works great. Insurance jobs you make great money on. Just don't let them tell you what to do. So anyway we had it running great and then when are lease was up 1yr the owner would no renew becuse he did not like the noise. even after i offered to pay double the rent. So I had to move again and we find a shop that in rent and just utilties was around $3,000 a month. I was only there a few months and it pretty much drove me under. Now we are in the works on building a shop on property I own. I highly recommend you would do the same. It just cant be on the same as your house. Now for working on every kind of bike. It is a good thing to do but then you need to stock a ton more parts and thats a lot of money. You will be asked to work on the worlds biggest pcs of junk. Kids will come in with a $50o that needs the whole motor rebuilt. you will have to give them a price and they might not know any thing about motocycles they will think your ripping them off,. Here is a case a shop I do work had a older guy came in with a 1985 honda shadow. The bike is only worth around $1,200. The bike needed 2nd gear fixed. In most cases that job is around $800 to do. The customer says ok and you tear it down to fix it. You call the customer and he says it is now to much and your stuck with a bike you have time and money in with no title. Time for a lawyer $$$ This happens alot with older bikes and young kids with dirt bikes.Okay next you will need to get a parts dist. Part unlimited is the first one you should get. The carry enough that will get almost any thing you need. But you need to buy in a platnium dealer or your tire prices will be so high. Example this is no bs. If you you dont the dealer cost of a dunlop 208zr 190 is $184.00 that is your cost and you have to try to sell that to make money. I sell mine for $132.00 that is a big diffrence. The suppliers will check on you constantly to make sure your open. Then if you build a web site like mine it all has to be with in polices or they will stop your parts. Then you have to deal with the customers the internet is the worse thing that ever happened to small business. I have to say tha 75% of my customers are online and if I can beat a price show even if it is $3 off they will buy it from some one else. You might have a product htat has a $175 mark up. but thanks to the net you can only make $15 off of it.

As for the school I have seen about 6 guys or more come to me from there looking for a job. All of them where lucky if the could take a wheel of a sport bike and change the tire themselves and put it back on with out help. That is the easiest thing to do. There all scaried to even look at a motor. If you are mech incline and can read. Buy a older motor and a shop manuel for that bike. Now only go with the factory manuel it gives you every thing. try to fix a motor an see if you can do it. ther e not to hard. The best thing to start with is fork seals ans repairing 2nd gear shift forks. easy money. Tire changes and basic main. are easy you just need to get them done while they wait no over night.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:31 AM

Sorry this is so long but I am trying to show the major problems first. next you will have to but tools. Hand tools.brake bleeder a tire changer no manuel they will scratch rims. Chain tool, air tools supension tools.air compressior, computer, bike stands, bike lifts phons fax mach. credit card machine this is a cheap one HAHA. Then you need to get insurance haha good luck I have been doing this almost all my life and we still have a hard time keeping insurance and I never had a claim. Also don't think you will get a bank to loan you any money. That is the best one of all. I tried that and pretty much have to really sine your life away and you dont get any money maybe $50,000 but you need to have some one write you up a business plan to take to the bank and show them why the should give you money when there are other shops already there. As for a new dealer ship unless you got about 3 mil you want to throw away that is the only way you will get them. Ok and the worst pat of owning a bike shp is. you can not let any one work in parts dept or sell stuff like apperal oroder parts for you. The will rob you blind. They all do every one steals from the employer. Good luck
Old 11-18-2004, 10:33 AM

if you have more questions let me know I will help you. I was told the same things before I opened becuse I did not belive. No I see the light. Oh also if you open and some one wants to order a part make them pay up front in full no exceptions ever
Old 11-18-2004, 10:35 AM

no matter what you have to open a store front there is no way around it. I just wanted to start and go to all the shows and vend like I do now but the suppliers want a busioness in the ground
Old 11-18-2004, 10:36 AM

oh also if your married and have kids or just a girl friend you better hope it is good becuse it will work that so hard me and my ol lady fight about the shop so much.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:52 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Damn dude. I've spent all day thinking about what you're saying and it does sound crazy. I knew it would be rough to get going... but didn't think it was gonna be THAT bad. 3 million to be a dealership? How the hell are you supposed to do that? I mean seriously wtf?!?!?! I'm already pretty mechanically inclined and can handle most of the basics. I'm not afraid to tear into things and get them done. and I already know how to change a tire haha. I can see the thing with you getting stuck with bikes when people don't want to pay for them. And I totally agree with the internet being the worst thing for the business man. It's impossible to outsell ebay... no matter how hard you try. so basically... before I toss the whole idea out, is there any way to get a diecent shop location and building, maybe be a dealer selling two brands of bikes, and still make money? I'm not talkin making like 100k... I just want to make diecent money. The more I think about it though, and the BS I'm gonna have to go through, it makes me wonder if it'll be worth it. I'm judging most of the sucess due to my friends shop. But thats for cars. He started in a crappy *** place about the size of a 2 car garage... slowly made a name, did some good work, got a deal on a sweet *** place in a prime location and is making a KILLING. I mean dude went from like 30g's a year to makin like 400k. I might not have his luck... but I would like to think it's possible. what exactly is invovled with being a dealership?

Oh and thanks a ton for the input man... I appreciate it greatly!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:41 AM

1wheelrider is an unknown quantity at this point

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue][B]hey guys i don't want to squash your dreams but....there is a place thats open 7 dayz a week-has 100% satisfaction guarantee-30 day street helmet exchange-battery and tire warranties-caters to all sportbikes,dirtbikes,and cruisers-peaople that care about all aspects of riding--yes even the squids!--sounds good huh?

--"CYCLE GEAR"--theres like 45 stores starting from the west coast all the way down to Florida, then up into S.C and N.C...you can even do the online thang --CYCLEGEAR.com--

see ya soon!!! :YEAH
Old 11-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Glad to hear it... good for you. BUT... how did you get started? Thats really what I need to know? Did you start small and just explode? did you have investors? What do I need to do to make it happen? Not saying on that big of a level. I just want to be able to work on bikes, and make money doin it. So I can ride, and be happy. How do I do it? or how did you do it?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:37 AM

first I used to ride 15-20,0000 miles a year before I started this venture. Now I f I hit 500 miles in the last 2 yrs I am lucky. No free time any more. As for the venture no partners . Having a partner is bad news. There are a little ways to get investors that do here in there but no one will drop any major $$ other than a loan shark. Me and my wife after tryng banks and banks and goverment grants and not getting nothiong. Opened it all on cash and credit cards. That way if you fail no one can take you house and other stuff really is the safest way. So far the best money make I have found is we have a super high bike mark up here . I can buy a clean title bike no salvage ever. Maybe put $200 in to it and turn it over in a week or 2 and make 500- 1500 on the bike. Yopur really need to know what is selling and the market. If i was doing it all over again I would just sell bikes you will need to get a dealers liscense. (good LucK) if your buying and selling in the same state. If you buy out of state and sell your good. Then if you need parts buy from some one cheap of if you get a little store set up an account. 1 thing to remember you need around 10,000$ in the bank all times to order parts if some one wants there bike fixed or order stuff. a Business debit is the way to go and make sure you set up with a points programs. I get free trips for my family every year for free. I am still really small really really small. The web site makes us look really big. Just start going and get your paper work filed and look for a building the hard part is you have to have a place first before you can get parts un. they will send a rep to come check you out. Go to the tax office and get your tax number. Register your name take a small business class or we have colleges around here that have a small busineess institue they will help you for free to get started. Then you need to advertise the radio works good once but it is crazy money. Goto local races and bike nights. the first 3 yrs you will not make any thing the first yr you will lose so much money it won't be funny. I recomend take a lay off and start it on unemployment so your not hurting to bad. It will be the most stress full thing you have ever done. ANd make sure your a people person. They will work you so bad you will hate every one soon. Also don't forget security we got robbed once it still has us down and it was about 9 months ago. Nobody cares wether you make it or not except your self. Yor best customers will turn on you if the see a better deal some where. Just be on top of your local scene and you should make it. But if you make $100g let me know your secret becuse I am still no where near that. Let me know if you need any thing else
Old 11-19-2004, 09:38 AM

oh dam I did not see your from pa I though tyou where in texas. also your going to have to deal with winter here, I have been dead all this month till march.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Yea I'm from PA... but plan on opening the shop in FL or VA beach. Our plan was to start small... just a nice clean little place that we could work on bikes and sell parts and gear with. DO like you said and get bikes at auctions, fix them, and sell them. We would have bike nights once a week.. maybe talk some of the stunters here on SL to have a comp or just a fun ride day every so often. Start low key and go from there. once we started payin off some of the debt we accured maybe move up a bit... till we had a name and could get enough money to start movin up in the game. I still have plenty of time to look into it. I'm gonna try my best to make it happen.

Right now I'm going to school for Business Management. So I can get the basic feel and idea of how to do things. My step dad owned his own business so I have pretty good ideas from his experiences and workin for him. The army will also help me start my own business. At least they gave me a whole big schpeel about it when I joined. Perhaps sometime I can make a trip out to madison and check your place out and we can chat more. I know what you mean about the winter being dead! Thats why I want the shop down south so I'm not broke 4-5 months out of the year. I really really appreciate all the input man! If you have AIM hit me up on there so we can chat more. Thanks a ton!

Jon
Old 11-19-2004, 10:55 AM

Rocket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RoadStainR6
Yea I'm from PA... but plan on opening the shop in FL or VA beach. Our plan was to start small... just a nice clean little place that we could work on bikes and sell parts and gear with. DO like you said and get bikes at auctions, fix them, and sell them. We would have bike nights once a week.. maybe talk some of the stunters here on SL to have a comp or just a fun ride day every so often. Start low key and go from there. once we started payin off some of the debt we accured maybe move up a bit... till we had a name and could get enough money to start movin up in the game. I still have plenty of time to look into it. I'm gonna try my best to make it happen.

Right now I'm going to school for Business Management. So I can get the basic feel and idea of how to do things. My step dad owned his own business so I have pretty good ideas from his experiences and workin for him. The army will also help me start my own business. At least they gave me a whole big schpeel about it when I joined. Perhaps sometime I can make a trip out to madison and check your place out and we can chat more. I know what you mean about the winter being dead! Thats why I want the shop down south so I'm not broke 4-5 months out of the year. I really really appreciate all the input man! If you have AIM hit me up on there so we can chat more. Thanks a ton!

Jon
When you get down there, if you need another hand or a website built or anything let me know. Hopefully I'll be moving down to FL next year about halfway through the race season. I'll either be in Daytona or Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Originally Posted by Rocket
When you get down there, if you need another hand or a website built or anything let me know. Hopefully I'll be moving down to FL next year about halfway through the race season. I'll either be in Daytona or Ft. Lauderdale.
I've got about a year and a half-two years left till I finish school. Then I'll be there. If I go to MMI, I'll be in orlando. But I'll def look you up man. Thanks! Got any more bitchin idea's like the mobile mechanic one? that was a bad *** idea! :YEAH

Quick Reply: ideal shop?