FIDDY TECH: Help, How-to, Parts & Mods Have a technical question? Looking for the best parts? Want to share some info on new fiddy parts you bought or have seen? Post it up here!

camshafts ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 04:17 PM
JMC

JMC is an unknown quantity at this point
camshafts ????

Ok guys, I need some advice. I'm thinking about putting a cam in my stock motor. Now before anyone says it I know the best choice would be a big bore kit but I'd like to see what I can make the stocker do. I've already opened up the stock exhaust, ported the stock intake manifold,opened up the stock air box and jetted the carb. The thing runs strong and clean. Would a cam make much difference compared to the stock version? Which cams have you found to work well? I don't want to make the bike a screamer, I'd like to keep some low end. I also would like to run the stock valve springs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also where the best deal on cams?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: camshafts ????

Originally Posted by JMC
Ok guys, I need some advice. I'm thinking about putting a cam in my stock motor. Now before anyone says it I know the best choice would be a big bore kit but I'd like to see what I can make the stocker do. I've already opened up the stock exhaust, ported the stock intake manifold,opened up the stock air box and jetted the carb. The thing runs strong and clean. Would a cam make much difference compared to the stock version? Which cams have you found to work well? I don't want to make the bike a screamer, I'd like to keep some low end. I also would like to run the stock valve springs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also where the best deal on cams?

Thanks
Best deal www.dratv.com I pimp their **** so much I should get sponsored. But seriously, they have really good prices.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:24 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

fab5fiddy is a decent person

damn, thats a good idea, i think im gonna throw a cam in mine on monday and post the results. stay tuned....
Old 03-19-2004, 04:32 PM
JMC

I just checked out dratv. definatly great prices but, how does their cam perform in a stock motor? Are thier products quality and reliable?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:38 PM
JMC

Fab5 I here you've got some good parts connections. Can you hook me up with a cam at a decent $ ? If the experiment on mon. works out send me a PM and tell me what you used and if you could get me one.

50% of the fun is wrenching on the 50!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:46 PM

ill hook u up for sure. i dont wanna sell u one untill i know its worth the money. wait till monday. i will do mine for sure. im also lookin for that little extra bit of power but not that of a big bore. ill post the results in this thread so everyone can see. this could be the next big thing for street stunters out there.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:46 PM

weedracer is a decent person

to have it work best

degree the cam
Old 03-19-2004, 06:35 PM

Silver Surfer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a dratv Fragon racing Mild Race cam and its AWESOME to say the least...... I also have a Big Bore which I would recommend.

Don't go with anything other than a mild race without a Big Bore.....

A cam will get you more power up top but you will lose bottom end.......

If you want to use a full Race cam you have to run a Big Bore.

Old 03-19-2004, 07:03 PM

u may be right but we will see about that... only time will tell.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:12 PM

potential is a decent person

damn son! fab5 and weedracers avatars are pimp **** for sure! definitely feelin it, what filter/software did you guys use? hopefully i'll get some shots this weekend. JMC i've heard the kitaco cam is good on torque, and that the takegawa cams are big on top end. i have the takegawa but i put it in w/ my bore kit so all i know is that it hauls *** now...
B
Old 03-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by fab5fiddy
damn, thats a good idea, i think im gonna throw a cam in mine on monday and post the results. stay tuned....
Dr. Fiddy to the O.R. Dr. Fiddy to the O.R.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:18 PM

Xidium is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NINER
Dr. Fiddy to the O.R. Dr. Fiddy to the O.R.
Wouldnt it be to the XR
Old 03-19-2004, 09:30 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

hmm.. losing low end isn't cool
Old 03-20-2004, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by potential
damn son! fab5 and weedracers avatars are pimp **** for sure! definitely feelin it, what filter/software did you guys use? hopefully i'll get some shots this weekend. JMC i've heard the kitaco cam is good on torque, and that the takegawa cams are big on top end. i have the takegawa but i put it in w/ my bore kit so all i know is that it hauls *** now...
B

Its adobe photoshop 2.0
it came with the computer just nver use it untill today............. aahyup had a little to much went a little nutty
Old 03-20-2004, 05:48 AM
JMC

What I'm looking to gain is just a little bit more grunt throughout the entire power band. I definatly don't want to loose low end. I was hoping someone had some experience doing this but, Fab5 ( DR. 50 ) has the resources to experiment and hook me up if all goes well. It's :YEAH I don't have to waste $ if it doesn't work out.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:58 PM

ok. monday came sooner than i expected. i wanted to try this so bad. just got back from about a 20 minute ride and all i have to say is... IT SUCKS! theres actually quite a bit of gain in the high rpms, but the bottom end lost quite a bit. losing the little at the bottom and gaining at the top made a power band that i was not comfortable with at all. great for high rpm wheelies. but not so great when u want to rock a 2nd or 3rd gear wheelie at a low rpm. my advice.. save the $50 or so dollars and put it towards a big bore for more power. thats the best bang for your buck right now and im sure everyone will agree.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:04 PM

Silver Surfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fab5fiddy
ok. monday came sooner than i expected. i wanted to try this so bad. just got back from about a 20 minute ride and all i have to say is... IT SUCKS! theres actually quite a bit of gain in the high rpms, but the bottom end lost quite a bit. losing the little at the bottom and gaining at the top made a power band that i was not comfortable with at all. great for high rpm wheelies. but not so great when u want to rock a 2nd or 3rd gear wheelie at a low rpm. my advice.. save the $50 or so dollars and put it towards a big bore for more power. thats the best bang for your buck right now and im sure everyone will agree.

Thats what I said.... Dr Fab fiddy my ***...............
Old 03-20-2004, 01:04 PM

you can change the power curve by degreeing the cam
try that
Old 03-20-2004, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
Thats what I said.... Dr Fab fiddy my ***...............
eddie i expected the same thing. i needed proof. id like to see u try to change a cam in a fiddy. u wouldnt know where to start.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:34 PM
JMC

Thanks Fab5 thats exactly the info I was looking for. Now I need to decide if I really want a big bore kit. I like the way it runs now but it would be nice to have a little more power. Maybe I'll do an 81 or 88 light bore kit with my stock intake,carb and exhaust. But..... I suppose I'll have to put in heavy duty clutch springs. Anyone have any suggestions on what light bore kit would work??

Quick Reply: camshafts ????