FIDDY TECH: Help, How-to, Parts & Mods Have a technical question? Looking for the best parts? Want to share some info on new fiddy parts you bought or have seen? Post it up here!

learning to balance a wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 12:14 AM

notastunta is an unknown quantity at this point
learning to balance a wheelie

Ok I will be the first to admit I SUCK at wheelies. Either on the fiddy or my big bike (I only wheelie it coming out of a corner and it's usually not on purpose). Right now I'm clutching up from first to second on it now and trying to force myself to use the rear brake to help control balance but like I said I suck at that. I'm thinking of building a rear hand brake kit just to make it easier to learn on. Anyone have any advice on how to learn balance them out better?

TIA

Brian
Old 04-17-2005, 12:16 AM

UNIDENTIFIED is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: learning to balance a wheelie

DO A SEARCH FUKTARD jk... just do a search bro youll find all u need... i see your new to SL.. welcome
Old 04-17-2005, 10:09 AM

flip3587 is an unknown quantity at this point

practice practice practice...one of my friends has been ridin about a week now and he cant use the rear brake...he picked up wheelies real fast and he doesnt use the brake...but then again all we ever do is practice practice practice...5-6 hours a day lol these things are sooo much god damn fun
Old 04-17-2005, 10:10 AM

flip3587 is an unknown quantity at this point

start in 1st, keep ur feet down and just drag them to get the bp down...then when u think u got it, try and get it up in 2nd with ur feet up and go from there
Old 04-17-2005, 07:10 PM

N*A*M is an unknown quantity at this point

no need to clutch or play with the gears

just rock back, gas, bounce and pull
Old 04-18-2005, 10:02 AM

melloyello is an unknown quantity at this point

I sit on the very back of the seat. Some of my *** is actually sitting on the fender. I sit this far back b/c I have stock bars and I am 6ft tall. Keeps my knees from taking a beating. I have a 39 tooth rear which helps a little. It doesn't take a lot to get it up for me b/c I weigh 180lbs and all my weight is over the rear axle. You have to remember the rear axle is the pivot point for the wheelie. The more weight you can get over or behind that axle the easier it is to get it up and keep it there. I started learning in second gear just leaning back and throttle. I didn't use the rear brake for at least a month but I did learn to keep it straight. I started out trying to straighten it out by sticking a leg out or moving both legs to one side and in certain situations this works. But, I have found that the best way to straighten up is simply shift your *** to the side you want to go. So much simpler. If you get up to the bp and you are rocking it simply pumping the rear brake and shifting your weight will take you into a circle. If you want to learn wheelies start in second gear w/ a heavy duty rear spring. This takes away from the spongy awkward stock rear which will help you keep your bp easier. Use street tires and make sure you are on a flat surface. Use a parking lot or service road or something. Don't try learning in your back yard, it's too bumpy. I couldn't ride a wheelie for 10 feet until I hit the road. I can rock second gear for a couple hundred yards now. I have only been riding a couple of months. I am in the process of learning circles right now, just doing em too wide at the moment.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:43 AM

notastunta is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, thanks. I rode up to the road this weekend and it's MUCH easier on pavement than the yard.

Thanks again,

Brian
Old 04-19-2005, 02:11 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

i would stay away from putting your feet on the ground then trying to wheelie. start in 1st gear, give gas, yank back and hit your rear brake. do this until you have some brake control and then you just need to practice.

its pointless to learn the BP with your feet down because it will change the second you put your feet on the pegs. learn brake control as soon as you can and you will be glad you did.