Textile vs. leather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Textile vs. leather?

I'm looking at getting some riding pants for this summer. I don't want to be hotter than hell so i'm not sure i want to go with leather pants. I saw a guy go down doing around 40 the other day in a 1000 denier hunting jacket and he didn't even rip it. After that I started to consider textile. I was looking at some of the agv sport pants. They are 600 denier with 1000 denier on the knees and hips i believe. Does textile really even compare to leather? Is it just a fluk that this guys jacket didn't rip? Will textile offer any protection compared to leather?

Thanks, Jon
Old 04-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Mof Diver

mofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant future
Re: Textile vs. leather?

Originally Posted by JonnyGSXR
I'm looking at getting some riding pants for this summer. I don't want to be hotter than hell so i'm not sure i want to go with leather pants. I saw a guy go down doing around 40 the other day in a 1000 denier hunting jacket and he didn't even rip it. After that I started to consider textile. I was looking at some of the agv sport pants. They are 600 denier with 1000 denier on the knees and hips i believe. Does textile really even compare to leather? Is it just a fluk that this guys jacket didn't rip? Will textile offer any protection compared to leather?

Thanks, Jon

If you want to be safe go with leather. It will give you the most protection. I'm always hot so I went with the alpinestar t-stunt air flo jacket. It's got some armor on the forearms/elbows and shoulders. The back pad is foam, I took that out and got another one. It will really depend on what you want, I would rather be comfortable and still have some protection, thats why I didn't go with leather because it's to hot for me.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:20 PM

I've heard some people say that textile is a one time crash deal. Where leather can take a couple of crashes.... If thats the case then i'll go with textile. If it can protect me for one crash but needs to be replaced afterwards i'll spend the extra cash for a new pair just to be comfortable. Anyone else heard this? Does anyone have any crash experience with textile pants or a jacket. Did it hold up enough to protect you or did it just disintegrate on the ground?

Jon
Old 04-15-2004, 01:13 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KC Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a few companes making reinforced jeans for riders you might want to look into that
Old 04-15-2004, 01:34 AM

The only company I have heard of is Draggin Jeans and I have heard nothing but bad things about them. Very hot, very itchy, and that the kevlar isn't in enough spots and doesn't hold up well to impact. Do you know the names of any other companies making reinforced jeans?

Jon
Old 04-15-2004, 01:46 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KC Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

I know ICON makes some also they had them at the local bike shop and they look pretty goo, nice and heavy but still felt like the would be comfortable
Old 04-15-2004, 01:56 AM

I think your talking about the recon's. I was looking at them. They are just basic denim though, double layered on the knees. I don't think it would be much tougher than regular jeans. Doesn't have the tight weave like ballistic nylon.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Registered Stunter

Metzger is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any crash experience with textile pants or a jacket. Did it hold up enough to protect you or did it just disintegrate on the ground?

Jon
I was wearing a textile alpinestars t-stunt jacket when I crashed at about 40. I walked away with only minor road rash on different parts of my body but none underneath the jacket. A few holes were ripped in the jacket but I think it will still be able to protect me again.

Textile gets the job done without costing you an arm and a leg.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:08 AM

EndoPro is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Rhyno jacket, its good thick leather with armor in the shoulders, elbows/forearms, and spine. It only cost me about 175$ on sale along with Kevlar gloves. Its hot when its around 90-100 outside and ur riding, but I open the vents and take out the liner and its not that bad at all. Remember, on a day when its hotter than 98 degrees, wearing a jacket on a bike will keep you cooler. If ur rippin down the highway and the air is 110 degrees, its actually heating u up. So its better to wear something well insulated and keep yourself cool during that really really hot weather.

Peace
Old 04-17-2004, 03:10 AM

covertwar is a decent person

Just because it didn't rip doesn't mean the guy didn't get hurt, or road rash.

Textile is pretty much like a condom, one use, and it is a done deal.

Draggin Jeans, and the Icon jeans are different. Draggin has Kevlar around the *** and down the knees, and I believe is somewhat better than the Icon ones.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:58 AM

sizzling is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes textile can protect you from one crash and thats it. I once crashed with textile pants and jacket slided in asphalt like 50-100meters. It was a goretex suit(pants and jacket) with some kevlar protection the upper layer got worn out pretty good, but it protected me from serious road rash. Got littel road rash in my arm, b/c one sleeve moved upwards and worned completly off. So go for it get textile pants and mayby a leather jacket for better protection and oh Most of the textile jackets look way too gay

IMHO the textile pants can protect you much better than e.g. jeans so go for it

Edit. Some manufactures don't know if they sell in Us thoug, Reima, Yoko, Sinisalo, Rukka haha only finn ones US: This is the only one I know besides ICOn, Shift go to ShiftRacing.com or something for their website
Old 04-17-2004, 11:47 AM

I bought a leather jacket from Gericke thats leather in most spots with some vents and mesh on the chest. It should keep me cool and also protected. I think i've decided to go with some kind of textile pants or jeans. I know it may only be one time use, but "if/when" I go down i'll just have to get a new pair. Its worth $100 for a second pair if your comfortable. Now I need help deciding what to go with. AGV Sport makes some cool textile pants, but they are only 600 denier throughout. JR makes the ballistic 4.0 and another model that are 600 denier with 1000 denier on the knees, hips, and butt. Both the JR and AGV stuff have some CE armor in them too. Finally I was thinking about getting the Icon Recon jeans. But they are only double layerd in the knees and they don't come with armor.

Do you guys think the 1000 denier on the knees of the JR stuff will make them alot better than the AGV stuff?

Jon
Old 04-17-2004, 03:03 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

roadrash929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Jon
Dont buy that cheap **** you will eventually be sorry.. go with alpinestars or teknic leather.. I have the teknic lightning and it has great airflow and awesome protection.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Registered Stunter

Metzger is an unknown quantity at this point

AGV Sport makes some cool textile pants, but they are only 600 denier throughout. JR makes the ballistic 4.0 and another model that are 600 denier with 1000 denier on the knees, hips, and butt. Both the JR and AGV stuff have some CE armor in them too. Finally I was thinking about getting the Icon Recon jeans. But they are only double layerd in the knees and they don't come with armor.

Jon
Sounds like whatever you get will have some pros and cons. In my crash I was just wearing regular jeans and I had no serious injuries.