Fitting bikes in a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 11:57 AM

150grl is a decent person
Question Fitting bikes in a trailer

Can anyone tell me the best way to put in the wheel shocks? Trying to figure out if I can fit 3 bikes in a 6x12 that I just bought. I have to go up and show them where to put the hardware in today. thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 12:09 PM

BUSA KILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fitting bikes in a trailer

I have a 6x12 i don't use them . Use tie downs with canyon dancers. 3 is no problem 2 face forward the I slide the other bacwards in the middle
Old 01-20-2004, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by BUSA KILLER
I have a 6x12 i don't use them . Use tie downs with canyon dancers. 3 is no problem 2 face forward the I slide the other bacwards in the middle

Thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 03:05 PM

sdudgeonr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

if they are stunt bikes. lay them on their sides and stack them...
-sean
Old 01-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Fuzz is a decent person

Originally Posted by sdudgeonr6
if they are stunt bikes. lay them on their sides and stack them...
-sean

Exactly.....i have seen three in the back of a truck before......so i know it can be done in a 6x12
Old 01-20-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Exactly.....i have seen three in the back of a truck before......so i know it can be done in a 6x12

No these are all pretty bikes One is a 600rr brand new, one is a tl100 and the other is an f4i - I think I can get them in there! It'll be a tight fit but thats the best right
Old 01-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Fuzz is a decent person

Originally Posted by 150grl
No these are all pretty bikes One is a 600rr brand new, one is a tl100 and the other is an f4i - I think I can get them in there! It'll be a tight fit but thats the best right

Who makes the tl100???
Old 01-20-2004, 07:56 PM

Who makes the tl100???

Bite me you know what I meant 1000
Old 01-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Fuzz is a decent person

Just playin
Old 01-20-2004, 08:14 PM

sdudgeonr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 150grl
LOL who makes pretty bikes... mine came stock with abent rim and zip ties
-sean
Old 01-22-2004, 10:50 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

if they are nice bikes get wheel chalks.

you have to climb under the trailer and find the support braces, drill through those and bolt them up. i would say 2 side by side up front and the 3rd in the middle behind them. that should work nicely. you could also turn the 3rd around and face it backwards to give more space in the rear. 6 foot wide won't hold 3 bikes wide. mine is a 6x16 and 2 bikes are tight wide with getting the tie downs far enough outward to have a good side to side leverage on the bikes. if you tie them down too narrow (close to the front tire) the bike will rock from side to side and possibly hit each other. mine do but they are stunt bikes so it's no biggy. tie them wide and use chaulks and you shouldn't have a problem. PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:53 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

HOLDINGITBIG will become famous soon enoughHOLDINGITBIG will become famous soon enough

Just playin
go head pimp
Old 01-22-2004, 04:22 PM

Thanks for all the info but we decided if we take 3 one is going to go in the back of the truck and the other 2 in the trailer with all our ****
Old 01-22-2004, 10:21 PM

bigman is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as chalks go, I feel that they are a waste of a lot of money. I have about $250 worth of them, and they bent about $450 worth of rotors on my bike. If you use a canyon dancer up front and two straps off the rear pegs, all of them going outward at angles not parallel or perpendicular to the bike, you don’t need chalks. The front straps hold to the front and the rear straps old to the rear, like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	60782  
Old 01-23-2004, 01:21 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by bigman
As far as chalks go, I feel that they are a waste of a lot of money. I have about $250 worth of them, and they bent about $450 worth of rotors on my bike. If you use a canyon dancer up front and two straps off the rear pegs, all of them going outward at angles not parallel or perpendicular to the bike, you don’t need chalks. The front straps hold to the front and the rear straps old to the rear, like this.

ya, you have to hook them wide to stabilize them. i've never bent a rotor and i'm pretty mean on mine. you must need wider wheel chalks then.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:41 PM
dedrater

verticaljay is a decent person

we usually spread our chocks, but the standard chocks only seem to cause a prob with the 900 rr cause of the 16" rim up front it puts the rotor in the chocks
Old 01-23-2004, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by binder929rr
ya, you have to hook them wide to stabilize them. i've never bent a rotor and i'm pretty mean on mine. you must need wider wheel chalks then.
I didn’t have any problem with stability, and we went form Lafayette, In to Alcoa, Tn, and back. But, your right the problem with the chocks is that they aren’t wide enough, but I have yet to find any that give more than about a 1/16 inch clearance on each side, not much room for error when loading it and I did spread the ones I have a little, as much as I could without actually springing them, it helps to hold them in place, they are the removable ones. But with 4 straps you don’t really need the chocks anyways.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:49 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by bigman
I didn’t have any problem with stability, and we went form Lafayette, In to Alcoa, Tn, and back. But, your right the problem with the chocks is that they aren’t wide enough, but I have yet to find any that give more than about a 1/16 inch clearance on each side, not much room for error when loading it and I did spread the ones I have a little, as much as I could without actually springing them, it helps to hold them in place, they are the removable ones. But with 4 straps you don’t really need the chocks anyways.
on good bikes i would. just bend them out manually. but ya, even with 4 tie downs i've had the bike wobble enough to loosen and then the front tire skid and down it goes. just a stunt bike so no biggy.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by binder929rr
on good bikes i would. just bend them out manually. but ya, even with 4 tie downs i've had the bike wobble enough to loosen and then the front tire skid and down it goes. just a stunt bike so no biggy.
They can loosen up, but I just check at each gas stop, and never once had to tighten the straps. I didn’t have any problems, not even with Mike (cow bike) driving. But, I don’t know if you can tell from my pictures, I’m not exactly a small guy , and I do put a little a$$ in to tightening the straps, and I have the good straps, not the dollar store models, and so far I haven’t had any loosen up yet. Besides, what is the difference between a good bike and a stunt bike anyways? They are all meant to be ridden, and if it goes over it gets scratched, oh well, it is usually still rideable. Just ask Mike, or any of the Lafayette guys about how meticulous I am about cleaning my bike, and not scratching it.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:18 PM
back in the saddle again

well, i do'nt put *** into it cause on my way to michigan i did to keep them upright and i blew out both front for seals. puts too much prolonged pressure on them.

and ya, cowbike has interesting ways of loading, heading to florida with 3 bikes on a tiny trailer should be fun. i think we'll just stack them on their sides. :YEAH

Quick Reply: Fitting bikes in a trailer