View Poll Results: What do you think about some titanium heel plates?
That's cool; I'd buy that and rock it hardcore
44.44%
That's squidly; and I'd still buy it
8.33%
Neat idea, but not for me, thanks
13.89%
No ones gonna buy that gay crap
33.33%
You'd prolly sell a ton of those things
8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

New product idea: Titanium plates for riding shoes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 12:54 PM

StreetSpeed2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
New product idea: Titanium plates for riding shoes

Sup guys. Need some quick honest advice. I'm thinking about making a product that you would attach to the bottom of any shoe you ride in that would send how a rooster tail of sparks when you dragged your heel along the road. It woud be a 1/4 inch thich sheet of titanium on the back heel of your shoe sending out a stream of WHITE sparks. It would prolly last a real long time (havn't done any real testing yet). You'd have to drill a few holes on your shoe (with a supplied drill) and install some rubber inserts into the shoe (supplied). The rubber inserts would be flush with the sole of the shoe so it would have no effect on walking around or anything. You could very quickly screw or unscrew the titanium plate to your shoe (with supplied allen wrench) so you could pimp on the way to your spot and if you wanted to walk around when you got there jusr unscrew the plate real quick and toss it in your jacket or bike. Price would prolly start between $50 to $70 depending on what it costs me to make/materials. SO what do you think? I'm gonna fab something up next week and will have pictures somewhere around then as well.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:57 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
definetley not cool... for the sake of everyone. Do not make it
Old 01-01-2004, 01:42 PM

Squidmark is an unknown quantity at this point
I think its a kinda cool idea, but makes me think 'biker boys' a little too much. Im not sure how well your mounting system will work tho. What happens when you grind down the allen screws, or if the 'rubber mounts' pull out.

-straps may be better
-i think it would be gay putting your foot down at a stop and falling over because you have titanium strapped to your feet
-someone should develop some heel plates so the above doesnt happen. maybe with some kind of side mounts

thats my $.02
Old 01-01-2004, 01:48 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Ishc54 is an unknown quantity at this point
People been wearing those for a while now dude... so its not a new idea....

They are pretty annoying too.... so dont do it...
Old 01-01-2004, 02:54 PM

The brass inserts would have serated edges, and would litterally dig into the soles of your shoe. They wouldn't come out. The allen screw would grind off eventually, but they'll be countersunk into the 1/4" thick titanium, so it would be a good long while before you had to worry about that. Also, the titanum would just be a little plate on the back of the heel. I don't know about you folks but I don't use my heel for anything. I stop on the ***** of my feet or flat footed. I ride on the ***** of my feet. that's why to me the most logical place to put it would be the heel, where you hardly do anything with a sportbike. When I make them up I'll post some pics and it should all make sense.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:03 PM

Squidmark is an unknown quantity at this point
oh, i didnt notice you said they were just heel plates. I still probly wont buy them, but you should be able to find a few people looking to make a scene with big bright sparky things.

make some and put them on ebay or here, you'll find if its a good idea or not.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:45 AM
dbc
Regular StuntLifer

dbc is an unknown quantity at this point
i know this aint the same thing, but i thought i'd share:

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_..._shoe_page.htm

bought em... love em...
Old 01-02-2004, 09:53 AM
*****SL.COM OG*****

TILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Squidmark
make some and put them on ebay or here, you'll find if its a good idea or not.
Ebay.. it will be deleted it u sell them here without asking Greg first .
Old 01-03-2004, 11:44 AM
JUST CLOWNING!

120clown is an unknown quantity at this point
another thing you need to consider is heat......when you are skitchen the plates will get warm and melt the shoe after time.....i am working making a set i want them to be easy to "clip on and off" where are you getting your titanium?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:33 PM

Well, titanium disipates heat real well. Most of the heat comes off in the sparks, which is why it sparks so well. I was just testing yesterday and I was dragging some titanium along the ground outside my car at about 60 mph for about half a mile and I could touch and it was barely even warm. Bear in mind these aren't plates fopr skitchin; these are just back the heel portion to scrape and make some sparks. If you stood up on supported all your weight on them you'd be buying plates from me every week or so. My dad owns a machine shop, so we'll get the titanium from one of his suppliers. I'll prolly have them water jetted out cuz they can do it really fast (it took me about 2 hours to cut a 2 inch by 5 inch slab of titanium on a huge band saw yesterday). I'll have the inserts on monday and I'll have prototypes to test soon after.

Edit: We were thinking about using zirconium because it would leave flames on the road, but it would also melt your shoe right down to your foot...
Old 01-04-2004, 05:24 AM

xraycatj is an unknown quantity at this point
try making them with magnesium!

this is a joke btw........

Last edited by xraycatj; 01-04-2004 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
JUST CLOWNING!

Originally posted by StreetSpeed2000
Well, titanium disipates heat real well. Most of the heat comes off in the sparks, which is why it sparks so well. I was just testing yesterday and I was dragging some titanium along the ground outside my car at about 60 mph for about half a mile and I could touch and it was barely even warm. Bear in mind these aren't plates fopr skitchin; these are just back the heel portion to scrape and make some sparks. If you stood up on supported all your weight on them you'd be buying plates from me every week or so. My dad owns a machine shop, so we'll get the titanium from one of his suppliers. I'll prolly have them water jetted out cuz they can do it really fast (it took me about 2 hours to cut a 2 inch by 5 inch slab of titanium on a huge band saw yesterday). I'll have the inserts on monday and I'll have prototypes to test soon after.

Edit: We were thinking about using zirconium because it would leave flames on the road, but it would also melt your shoe right down to your foot...

that would be fat flames on the road i would buy them for shure!
Old 01-06-2004, 09:14 AM

prnstar123 is an unknown quantity at this point
A friend of mine already did it. He has pics and directions to what he did . He's on the r1-forum.com screenname LILR
Old 01-21-2004, 10:13 AM
JUST CLOWNING!

Re: New product idea: Titanium plates for riding shoes

so whats the good word?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 AM

BUSA KILLER is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck. I have alrady started making skiticn paltes for boots. You need to find some one that will make them there is a liabilty issue on the maker and seller of these. You can be sued if some gets hurt using these.

Second titanium is not cheap. And then you need to get people to buy tit.

I make mine on a new set of boots and they are sold as a kit. Right now we just make them custom no production yet.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by BUSA KILLER
Good luck. I have alrady started making skiticn paltes for boots. You need to find some one that will make them there is a liabilty issue on the maker and seller of these. You can be sued if some gets hurt using these.

Second titanium is not cheap. And then you need to get people to buy tit.

I make mine on a new set of boots and they are sold as a kit. Right now we just make them custom no production yet.

I'll have 10 sets for sale on eBay by the end of next week. They're'll be plenty of pictures of the setup, installation, and action shots so you can all check it out and see what you think.

I'm having the plates water-jetted out. It will of course come with good instrcutions and of course a huge warning staing "FOR COMPETITION/OFF-ROAD USE ONLY" relieving me from any tort liabilty.

And I must reiterate, these only cover the back heel of your shoe. i dont skitch, but seem to me you need the plate to cover the whole shoe, cuz if you catch a toe your *** is going down. Maybe I'll make whole plates later, much thicker too, but that's down the road a ways.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:40 PM

BUSA KILLER is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed2000
I'll have 10 sets for sale on eBay by the end of next week. They're'll be plenty of pictures of the setup, installation, and action shots so you can all check it out and see what you think.

I'm having the plates water-jetted out. It will of course come with good instrcutions and of course a huge warning staing "FOR COMPETITION/OFF-ROAD USE ONLY" relieving me from any tort liabilty.

And I must reiterate, these only cover the back heel of your shoe. i dont skitch, but seem to me you need the plate to cover the whole shoe, cuz if you catch a toe your *** is going down. Maybe I'll make whole plates later, much thicker too, but that's down the road a ways.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I have been in this business alon time. That wording will not do any thing for you. You better check with your lawyer first on the wording. I am trying to help you. Trust me you don't want to get sued over this.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BUSA KILLER
I'm not trying to be a dick, I have been in this business alon time. That wording will not do any thing for you. You better check with your lawyer first on the wording. I am trying to help you. Trust me you don't want to get sued over this.

I'm just a dumb kid selling chunks of titanium on eBay. What people want to do with them is up to them. I've taken enough business law classes to know what I can use to cover my *** should someone misuse the product and kill themselves. Proper use will not harm anyone or anything. Doing something like sitting backwards on the seat and dragging your feet to see your own sparks is not any kind of negligence on my part.

Plus, I have no money anyway, so they won't get very far if they try to sue me. Besides, I'm not selling these things for a living, I'm just trying to make some money so I can buy some drinks on South Beach. I'd be happy to sell 10 a month.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:38 AM

blacknlte is an unknown quantity at this point

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2455993401

buy this and make your own set-up
Old 01-23-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by blacknlte
You can walk around with mine on. And take them off if you REALLY need to walk a distance somewhere. And if that is really titanium (and not a scam) then there's no way in hell you'll be able to drill holes through that without a huge drill press and a carbide drill. Forget any kind of hand drill.

Quick Reply: New product idea: Titanium plates for riding shoes