What DIY mods have you done???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:27 PM

Mr.Apple is a decent person
What DIY mods have you done???

On the 250r didn't do much myself. Custom rearset brackets, took all decals off, chopped the exhaust and made a shorty, installed impakteck cage and vortex clip-ons. The 00 zixxer I tried out some things. I built a custom cage. Have a 12 bar made just not mounted, cut down the front cowl, shortened Micron exhaust, flush mount blinkers, keyless gas cap. Still thinking of new things to do to both. What mods or DIY stuff have you done?????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	245566   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	245567  
Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 AM

samjin is a decent person
Re: What DIY mods have you done???

Hey,
I have a '99 gsxr 600. I hated the "fat ***" rear that was on all SRAD gsxr's that time, so couple winters ago decided to change the whole rear. I bought the needed parts from a '01 and '03 gsxr 1000. So in short, both seats, seat cowl (or whatever it was called ), frame, rear light and plastics, and of course the fender eliminator. I relocated the battery to be under the passenger seat, I thought it would be easier to access that way.

I have also made a glass fiber hugger and a chain guard that are joined together. The glass fiber was basically laid onto a 180/55 rear tire which had this foam mattress used in camping attached, so that when finished, the hugger wont touch the wheel at any time and the final gap between the hugger and rear tire would be equal. The chain guard was made separately with the same dimensions as the original plastic chain guard. The hugger and chain guard were then joined. I dont seem to have any pictures of the hugger on my computer to upload, so if you really want of course I can take a picture of it and upload it later if you want?

The pictures below are quite old and Ive made some changes to the bike during the years, but you'll get the idea of the rear :D
I am really satisfied to the change, in my opinion the bike looks way better this way and it is really good to drive!

Last edited by samjin; 04-04-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 PM

SoCal_gixxer is a decent person
Re: What DIY mods have you done???

My fav DIY mod is my stealth lights. I can turn off my tail light and brake light with the flip of a switch. It makes running sooo much easier.

There's three wires to the tail light. Ground, brake and running light. All I did was wire up a switch to the ground and BAM! Stealth mode. On my old bike I wired it up to the hazard light switch for a clean "undercover" look

When I put my SF headlight on I just wire it up to the hi beams. When the brights are on my light is on. When I turn off the brights off the light goes off. I like keeping them
On separate switches for versatility.