F4i NOT getting oil pressure, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
F4i NOT getting oil pressure, HELP!

Ok I've tested everything I can possibly think of testing.

It all started when I was rocking a SS circle, I pulled 1 circle, stalled the bike out, slammed the front wheel down, and tiped it over.. Picked it up no oil pressure..

I swaped the gauges as well as the pressure sensor with my friends f4i, all are good.
I even checked, and if you disconnect the pressure gauge, it SHOWS pressure, so it can't possibly be my wires or gauges or sensor..

I droped the oil pan, the pickup is installed 100% perfect, it has a good gasket, and the Pressure relief valve functions perfectly fine, and has a good O-ring that fits tight.

I pulled the oil pump, and it looks to be perfect..

I changed the oil filter, even though the old filter only had 200 miles on it..

My bike has had FRESH oil changes for about the last 5-6 changes.. Every one of my recent changes have been made within 500 miles (I haven't rode the thing more then 1000 miles in about 8 months)

I've done everything I can physically think of. I and COMPLETELY LOST.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
u been huffin?

f4ibry is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4i NOT getting oil pressure, HELP!

so what are the symptons, it doesnt crank im guessin? or it does and there is no oil getttin to it...which would be very bad....was it knocking before

did u recently put a stuntex pickup on?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:57 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by f4ibry
so what are the symptons, it doesnt crank im guessin? or it does and there is no oil getttin to it...which would be very bad....was it knocking before

did u recently put a stuntex pickup on?

It was running perfectly fine when it quit showing oil pressure.

No knocks, nothing, still spins fine when you hit teh starter

I did put a stuntex setup in, but all the stuntex setup does on a F4i is turns the stock pickup around.. I even took the pickup off, reinstalled it, and checked oil pressure, still none.

My next step is to reinstall it all without the stuntex setup, but I REALLY doubt it'll make a difference.. Since its installed 100% perfect, and if you saw a stunex setup in person, you would say the same thing "no way that could affect anything"

My next step I guess, Is Imma hook up this aquarium pump i have, and pump the oil through the pickup tube and see if it'll go to the top end...

If it does flow to the top, then I guess imma just take the stuntex setup and reinstall the oil pan and see if I get pressure..
Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
u been huffin?

f4ibry is an unknown quantity at this point

ive seen the stuntex...it flips the pickup and has a belly pan kinda thing in there right....

i cant seem to find the thread but i remember somebody havin a problem w.their f4i after a stuntex pickup....
ill keep looking but **** dont crank that bitch till u get if straight....

did u fill the oil filter w.oil and see if it pumps up?

neway bump for u. hope u fix it
Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

ok im flying by the seat of my pants here because i have not worked on alot of f4i's but if the oil pressure sending unit[sensor] just screws in to the case some where and is just a normal lookin sending unit then just unscrew it and start the bike for a second or two ,if oil pumps out the hole then you have oil pressure and your problem is reading the oil pressure .....

now like mentioned before make sure your oil filter is full and your oil level is full becuase if your filter is empty it will take more then a few seconds before the oil will pump out the hole
Old 02-21-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by f4ibry
ive seen the stuntex...it flips the pickup and has a belly pan kinda thing in there right....

i cant seem to find the thread but i remember somebody havin a problem w.their f4i after a stuntex pickup....
ill keep looking but **** dont crank that bitch till u get if straight....

did u fill the oil filter w.oil and see if it pumps up?

neway bump for u. hope u fix it
Right on, I never heard any problems about stuntex pickups, but its good to know someone else had problems with one

I think imma ditch the stuntex setup and see if its fine without it..

Originally Posted by old man roger
ok im flying by the seat of my pants here because i have not worked on alot of f4i's but if the oil pressure sending unit[sensor] just screws in to the case some where and is just a normal lookin sending unit then just unscrew it and start the bike for a second or two ,if oil pumps out the hole then you have oil pressure and your problem is reading the oil pressure .....

now like mentioned before make sure your oil filter is full and your oil level is full becuase if your filter is empty it will take more then a few seconds before the oil will pump out the hole
My sensors are definitely good, I swaped it with my friends f4i, and his shows pressure with my sensor, and I have his sensor on my bike now (as well as tested my gauges on his bike)

I didn't check if the filter is full, but I did crank the motor for about 10-15 seconds (10-15 at MOST after I had changed everything out)
But no longer for fear of ruining bearings..

I guess i'l throw it all back together, even tip my bike forwad and fill my filter with oil before I screw it back on, and try to crank it longer without even having the pressure sensor installed (see if it squirts out)

How long should I crank before I should get oil up top at the pressure sensor?

Also, I put plenty of oil in it everytime, was at or over the full line
Old 02-21-2008, 04:04 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Right on, I never heard any problems about stuntex pickups, but its good to know someone else had problems with one

I think imma ditch the stuntex setup and see if its fine without it..

My sensors are definitely good, I swaped it with my friends f4i, and his shows pressure with my sensor, and I have his sensor on my bike now (as well as tested my gauges on his bike)

I didn't check if the filter is full, but I did crank the motor for about 10-15 seconds (10-15 at MOST after I had changed everything out)
But no longer for fear of ruining bearings..

I guess i'l throw it all back together, even tip my bike forwad and fill my filter with oil before I screw it back on, and try to crank it longer without even having the pressure sensor installed (see if it squirts out)

How long should I crank before I should get oil up top at the pressure sensor?

Also, I put plenty of oil in it everytime, was at or over the full line
well your sensor and guages may be fine but there are other reasons it may not be reading the pressure ,as far as how long it takes to build pressure that depends on alot of things but if you fill your filter and start the bike it should squirt out that hole with in a few seconds like 3 seconds
Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

does the engine sound the same, are you sure it cant be an instrumentation prob

good point rog, check for pressure at the sensor, they sell $20 oil pressure sensors at the auto parts store
Old 02-23-2008, 03:46 PM

ok I dont know where my post went, but I certainly posted in here!

Anyways, I know it can't be an instrument problem. Because if you disconnect the sensor, it shows I DO have pressure (so if there was a wire issue, it would show I had pressure)

When I ground the wire out, it shows I have no pressure, so the pressure sensor sends a ground signal when it has no pressure..

I swaped my pressure sensor into my friends F4i, and started his bike, it shows pressure with my sensor.. So I even put his sensor in my bike, and then tested mine, and it still didn't show pressure (I dont think theres a physical way for both sensors to work on his bike, yet not on mine)

I also tested my gauges on his bike, and installed his gauges on mine.

Whatever it is, I'm definietly not getting 70psi to the sensor in the top end..

I don't know whats going on.. I don't know if I'm getting "some oil" or no oil

Today Imma remove that stuntex setup, put the oil pan back on, and take the pressure sensor out, and try to start the bike, and see if oil flows out of the pressure sensor hole.. If it puts oil out, then I guess i'l go buy a pressure gauge.

If it doesn't put oil out, then I know I'm fucked haha

THe only problem with all this, everytime I test it, I'm just pushing my luck a little more, giving me more and more of a chance to spin a bearing..

So far the motor has already ran for about 30 seconds, and spun for about 1 minute with no pressure

I just wanna get it figured out and start riding! Just dumped about $400 into the bike, and got a bunch of new parts.. Haven't rode more then 100 miles on it in over 6 months now
Old 02-23-2008, 03:50 PM
wheres all the fat girls

damn, try hitting up some techs at the bike shop, or posting on one of those CBR forums.. www.cbrworld.net maybe someones run into this before

i dunno man those engines are so tough, never heard of this problem before
Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by martino
damn, try hitting up some techs at the bike shop, or posting on one of those CBR forums.. www.cbrworld.net maybe someones run into this before

i dunno man those engines are so tough, never heard of this problem before
ya man idk what it could be

first thing I thought "I installed my stuntex wrong" after dropping the oil pan I could see it was perfect, even reinstalled it.. still no pressure

so I figured, ****, gotta be the sensor.. nope

anyways I removed my stuntex today, put my oil pan on, waiting on my sealant to dry (yeaah for sealant ) and gonna test it tomorrow

Honestly I think it MIGHT be the stuntex setup now.. IDK.. I could have installed it wrong Idk
Old 02-23-2008, 09:59 PM
also known as OMR

hhmm if it aint the pick up and it aint an electrical problem then im stummped because i have never seen a motor lose oil pressure from a crash
Old 02-24-2008, 01:58 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard some kawasakis loosing pressure in a crash(or during oil change), but the problem has been just airlock. but it just doesn't get over that without help. Only way to get past the problem is to loosen the oil filter while it's running so it can push the air out. just a little loose so oil comes out, then back in.

Also good way is to take oil filter out, fill it completely with oil and also use 'oil pump can?' to push oil to the oil lines(under the filter). this primes the oil pump.( I would try this first)

Also the oil pressure sensor is located behind the cylinder block and it's connected to the main oil galley going to the crank, so you can remove that and squirt in oil, it goes straight to the crank and buys you some time.

EDIT: I have to add, that I have also never heard F4i or other honda making this kind of airlock. Probably because honda oil pump is located lower compared to kawasaki pump. But I quess it's still possible.

JT

Last edited by Jaket; 02-24-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:47 AM
wheres all the fat girls

it couldnt have been some sludge that got dislodged during the crash and swamped the oil filter and clogged it.........
Old 02-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by martino
it couldnt have been some sludge that got dislodged during the crash and swamped the oil filter and clogged it.........
Nah I dont think so, my motor looks minty clean inside

I also pulled hte oil pump just to check it, and it looks minty too

And the strainer on the pickup is clear

I got the oil pan on and everything. After I eat some breakfast here and get to moving, Imma go out and ratchet strap my tail WAY into the air, and fill the filter with oil and try to put it on.. THen lower the bike down and hit the starter and see if it builds pressure.

If it doesn't Imma pull the pressure sensor up top, and see if oil comes out
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM
also known as OMR

im curious to here the out come
Old 02-24-2008, 03:27 PM

the news just NEVER gets better

stuntex setup removed, pickup installed 100% perfect. Pressure relief valve functioning perfectly fine.

I primed the oil filter, filled it completley with oil and lte it sit, and refilled it a dozen times tell it was 100% full.

Filled my oil up top the top of the sight glass

cranked on it for about 15 seconds.. still no pressure...

out of desperation I took the bolt out of the block, or an oil pressure tester.. And cranked it.. NOTHING comes out!

Cranked it for about 6 seconds with the oil bolt out of the block, nothing, not a drop of oil

So now I'm back to a half assembled f4i and I'm LOST...
Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM
also known as OMR

hhhmmm
Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 PM

yanked my oil pump out, and completely disassembled it again, and its 100% perfect, thing looks brand new and spins super easy

Dunno what to do now, I'm positive everything is installed correctly.

Got a couple friends to come over and check it out, and they all are clueless also

I might get a little buzz going on and go out there with a drill, and put it to the oil pump, and see if I can get any oil flow..

I just dont wanna crank on the motor for more then af ew seconds, knowing it hasen't had oil pressure in a while... I feel everytime I crank it with no pressure, I'm that much closer to destroying the motor
Old 02-24-2008, 04:16 PM
also known as OMR

i know that kawi pumps have a little pin that goes through the shaft and that pin slides into a slot in the pump gear [not really a gear but you know what i mean]

if some thing were to get into the pump some how and jam the pump then that little pin would break and the shaft would just spin ,maybe if the honda pump is the same style you may have broken the pin and the motor is turning the shaft but not really turning the pump...again just a shot in the dark

Quick Reply: F4i NOT getting oil pressure, HELP!