race fuel / dirty carbs / sitting bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 08:29 PM

brax is an unknown quantity at this point
race fuel / dirty carbs / sitting bike

hey just wondered if it would be ok to run a gallon or 2 of race fuel to clean the carbs on a bike that has sat for a year but runs soso, or if anyone has any good advice on additives? thanks guys
Old 05-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator

JackassRR is an unknown quantity at this point
How is the bike running now? Usually u will lose low end first cuz the pilot jet is small and gets plugged easy. I dont think u can clean it out (with race gas or additive) without taking the carbs apart..depending on how severe. If it runs ok, race gas wont hurt anything if u put it in to help clean it. I store my bike with race gas in it cuz it takes a lot longer to go bad.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:46 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by JackassRR
How is the bike running now? Usually u will lose low end first cuz the pilot jet is small and gets plugged easy. I dont think u can clean it out (with race gas or additive) without taking the carbs apart..depending on how severe. If it runs ok, race gas wont hurt anything if u put it in to help clean it. I store my bike with race gas in it cuz it takes a lot longer to go bad.
usually if a bike sits for 3-4 + mos. the carbs should be gone through and cleaned, and no race gas usually dosnt work, because theres a good chance of crud built up in the float bowlbut hey wouldnt hurt to run a tank through!!!)
Old 05-26-2003, 05:33 PM

yeah, its hard to start then real touchy to the throttle to shut off for awhile then its ok. been sitting awhile
Old 05-26-2003, 05:36 PM

p.s.

just dreading taking the bowls off the carbs ,on the f3 dont i need to remove the whole carb assym? think i did in my f1, its so tight in there hard to get to just the bowl screws, any ideas?
Old 05-29-2003, 02:37 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold
theres no reason to half *** the job, just clean them properly or contact DSOG Thomas, hes a smart guy from your area
Old 06-02-2003, 09:52 AM

MR OJ is an unknown quantity at this point
plugs

Race fuel may flush it through,...
Just dont forget that if your plugs have been sittn
aswell and only have had 1 type of fuel through
them,chucking higher octane levels past those
worn out tips might seal the plugs fate completely.