SRAD owners help me out

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Regular StuntLifer

metal doc is an unknown quantity at this point
SRAD owners help me out

I have a 98 750 and just discovered that the plug that comes from the generator cover was melted . I bypassed the plug by hardwiring it.
I figure this might explain why my bike was acting up lately. Sometimes it would act like it had a dead battery. It would be totally random and drove me nuts.
So anyone else have this problem ?
Did it damage anything else in the electrical system ?
How do I test the rectifier to see if it is okay ?

Thanks guys for the help , mike
Old 03-30-2003, 08:26 PM

cstmgsxr is an unknown quantity at this point
you could try and locate a hobby shop that sells highly expensive radio controled cars, and they should have a surplus of plastic parts and you can fabricate your own out of those, they start big then you cut them to the correct size, especially all the different plugs they sell for radio controled airplanes, as far as wiring, a little heat shrink should fix you right up, and if it is a problem of it getting near a heat source for to long, ask the hobby guys for some, fiberglass shielding to protect it, as far as testing your rectifier, im not sure....
As a matter of fact im not sure if that will even help you at all, since you have bypassed the plug already, but you should make sure there was not a relay for that circut, that you could have surpassed.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:08 PM
LAWN JOCKEY

standy is a decent person
This is a common problem on all newer bikes, especially 900RR's and GSX-R's. Get rid of the hardwiring...the coupler acts as sort of a safety valve....when the output is high, the wires get hot. When this happens, the connector melts, because that is the point of highest resistance. If you hardwire it, the stator becomes the highest point of resistance...this will overheat it, causing failure. Your solution is to visit your local Honda dealer and ask the parts guys for an A/C coupler repair kit...usually its sold to goldwing customers. Solder the new connectors to your existing wiring, and you'll be set. The kit comes with directions, the coupler, and heat shrink tube. Good luck!!!!