How to get into fmx

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 05:41 PM

flafmxer is a decent person
How to get into fmx

http://www.freeridermx.com/index.php...d=24&Itemid=44
Copy this and paste it to your navigation bar, it kinda gives you an idea on basic fmxing.. It also at the end talks about image, the main reason I have a contract with Suzuki.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 PM

Re: How to get into fmx

Tips on how to SAFLEY get into freestyle.

First off bike selection, Choosing the right bike for you is very important, a comon misconception about freestyle is you HAVE to have a 250 2 stroke.. NOT TRUE!!! ANY modern mx bike in good condision is capable of beginner fmx. Try to sit on all ot the models you are interested in and see which one feels right. This one is really peronall prefrence so I'm leaving it there.

Setting up your bike. DON"T GRAB THE CUTTING TOOLS YET!!!!
If you are just beginning to ride one of the worst things you can do is cut your plastics. Don't do it untill you are at the point of doing the tricks that require the cuts. if you can't do the tricks and your bike is cut you allow excess dirt and water to get into your motor and you . You also look like you are posing as a fmxer.
First set your bars, levers and brake pedel to where it feels just right so you won't have to think of where they are as you ride. Then set the sag on your rear shock, you can do this by reading the thread on how to set sag in the ask the experts section- active ride.

Now that the bike is set the best thing you can do is go to MOTOCROSS RIDING SCHOOLS. this is for the beginner rider, if you are a C or better rider we can move on.

Take off ramps.
DON"T BUILD YOUR OWN!! The angle, bracing, lenth of the ramp are very important and it is DANGEROUS TO GUESS!! There is a free ramp plan out there online called the rev 1, it is a good beginner ramp but if you are looking for a career don't bother. The comp ramps are steeper now so your best bet is to buy one, most ramps cost between $1500- 7500 to buy. Building your own ( if you have the proper ramp plans) will cost 1500-2800 for materials.

LANDING RAMPS, This is the super important one. Even the rev 1 ramp at a 55ft gap will peak you out at about 17ft in the air, a 7 ft tall landing will NOT cut it.
Here are the spec of what a landing should be .
40-50ft long, 11-15 ft tall, 10-14 ft wide at top, 20-24ft wide at bottom.
Many people try to cheat the dirt needed by using shipping crates, vans and thing like this. DON"T DO IT!! I have seen these landings give out fron the weight and had the missfortune of having it happen to me at a show, i didn't crash but it was terrifying. If dirt is short use loggs, tires, any SOLID thing you can find , for the BASE ONLY!!!!!! keep at least 8 ft of dirt between the top of the landing and whatever SOLID stuff you have underneth.
The angel is up to you and there are dirt spect online you can follow. But make shure you have at least a 6ft flat "buffer" on top of the landing in case of shorting the jump.

First time jumping
To safley start jumping it is best to take baby steps, ramps are different then dirt. Push the ramp right up to the landing. It should be almost like a step up, if the ramp is higher then the landing get back on the loader and keep building, if not you'll get hurt period. Don't be stupid.
Pic 2nd or 3rd gear and just motor up the ramp and plop on to the landing, once you get comfy and land on the same spot on the landing every time you can start pushing the ramp back. Do this in 3-5ft incraments. Once you get to the 40-45 ft mark and you can jump controled and land in the same spot on the landing EVERY time you hit the jump its time to start thinking about tricks.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Part 2 Tricks

If you have the first part down it's time to start thinking about what tricks you want to start with.
I can't stress enough this is only done when you take off and land right every time you hit the ramp.

To start just try 1 footers, do them smoothly and try it with each leg. once you have that down, start doing no footers. For now keep your hands on the bars.
These tricks will help you get bike controle , your next trick is the fender kiss. start off by just jumping and trying to put your face to the front fender, as you get this down start to bring the front fender to you as you put your face to it, this also teachs bike controle and will hepl teach you how to "work" the bike in the air.

The next trick is the 1 hander, Stay loose as you hit the jump, as you feel comfortable bring your hand ( i sugest your left hand) off the bar a little bit, keep doing this untill you can put your hand on the side of your helmet and hold it for a bit. from there we move on to bigger stuff..
Old 08-11-2007, 12:57 PM

FMXer-101 is a decent person

hey mann who was this thread directed to
Old 08-11-2007, 01:00 PM

FMXer-101 is a decent person

o and dude i have a subscription to that mag
Old 08-11-2007, 01:42 PM

Bigger tricks.
The next trick you should try is the ancle hook,
to do it simply hit the jump as you normaly would. As you near the peak of your jump start to bring your feet up, right up untill you touch the handelbars with your feet. This trick is the basis of the cliffhanger, Jackhamer ( full extention cliffhanger) ,cordova and , stripper. Don't try any of the tricks listed. I'm just giving the reason for doing the ancle hook.

The first "real" trick you should conseder is the heelclicker. You don't need to be as flexable as you may think. basicly it's a glorified 1 footer. To safley learn this we start with putting your bike eather in a truck, on the trailer or tied down in a way the bike will not move and you can move around on the bike. the best way to do it is tied down in a pickup.
Heres what to do and do it with boots on.
1- stand on your pegs as if you where riding
2- jump off of the pegs and do a no footer,
3- continue this untill you feel loose and you can do a no footer and bring your feet back to the pegs.
4- now try to bring your feet up over the bars, continue to do this untill you can touch your heels together.
5- once you can do this start trying it over the jump

Last edited by flafmxer; 08-11-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by FMXer-101
hey mann who was this thread directed to
Originally Posted by FMXer-101
o and dude i have a subscription to that mag
That website isn't coming up right so I redid everything. this is what I went over in the fmx schools I used to teach at Bartow. The thread is for anyone interested in getting into fmx. as you can see in the first part I go over going to motocross riding schools. Don't bypass that because I posted this please.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:17 AM

One more thing, As far as whips, DON'T TRY THEM!!! They are NOT a beginner trick, it takes a lot of time and bike skill to do them well, and safe. I'm still trying to get them back. Take my word on it if you have to ask how to do them you aren't ready.
This is me in 03
Name:  whip.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  17.1 KB

I was not able to REALLY ride for a couple of years and this is my "whip" now
Name:  Cap0012.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  12.0 KB
I lost some bike skill....
Old 08-28-2007, 08:05 AM

Man It Died In Here!!??
Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 AM

busta_yo_arse is a decent person

how far away are you from daytona?? bushnell that is/
Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 PM

I'm near the west coast. about 2-4 hours from Daytona.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:45 PM
im nico, i do wheelies

banjaxed is an unknown quantity at this point

cool man, im sure i'll be using this soon!

im getting a cr125 soon and i want to try out fmx
Old 08-29-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by banjaxed
cool man, im sure i'll be using this soon!

im getting a cr125 soon and i want to try out fmx
hit the track first, get the bike skill and go from there, sticky stunts has ridden with me a few times and He's doing it right. He's starting small and having fun.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:58 PM
im nico, i do wheelies

Originally Posted by flafmxer
hit the track first, get the bike skill and go from there, sticky stunts has ridden with me a few times and He's doing it right. He's starting small and having fun.

i used to trailride alot but its been a couple years, i have the bike skill down pretty good but im sure i'll be a little rusty when i start again
Old 08-31-2007, 01:09 PM

just have fun, if you go out and just try doing tricks you'll get hurt.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
im nico, i do wheelies

Originally Posted by flafmxer
just have fun, if you go out and just try doing tricks you'll get hurt.

oh yea im definetly going to take my time and learn as much as i can before i go out and start hitting ramps, im just trying to find places to ride that have ramps already setup
Old 09-01-2007, 08:30 AM

anywhere that had ramps open to the public closed the ramps off, there are too many people trying them that aren't ready. I taught fmx classes for a short time in bartow fl. That didn't go to well, I only had 2 people show up that where capable. I had parents mad at me because i was showing their kids how to set their bikes up for them and go around corners and ( this is the worst) SHIFT properly. If you have a good freeride spot hit that up a lot, then hit the track.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:08 AM

STICKYstunts is a decent person

Yeah, thats the only thing that sucks about FMX. There are no "spots" like in streetbike stunting. You have to have some land to build or know someone that already has a setup. Im just hitting Croom, Bithlo, and free-ride spots.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 AM
im nico, i do wheelies

heh the problem is i have nowhere to really ride, im still trying to find some people to ride with too
Old 09-02-2007, 06:51 AM

Kevin, have you been back to the spot in Orlando l8ly?

Quick Reply: How to get into fmx