Balance Wheelie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 10:05 AM

dudeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Balance Wheelie Questions

Hey Guys, got some questions for you if you can help....

First of all, can any of you guys do your balance wheelies on an XR70? I have 2 XR70's now, but I get the side to side lateral sway which I can't really get a hold of with throwing my knees out, so I have to dump it. I am wondering if the 50's make that much more of a difference with the wieght. I may get a 50 if this solves my problem. I gotta do the endless balance wheelies.

Second, it seems you guys use totally stock 50 gearing for balance wheelies correct?

Third, is the key not letting off on the gas and just tapping the brake?

Fourth, are you guys using the rear drum set up or the disc brake set up for balance wheelies?

Is there a phone # of any ba;ance wheelie freaks I can call?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Dudeman
Old 11-25-2002, 10:22 AM

RichieDubs is an unknown quantity at this point
1) you can wheelie anything far, just practice. make sure your pulling the bike up straight, then its all weight distribution for correcting sway.

2) stock gearing is correct

3) I do both depending how the wheelie is going. if Im about to loop Im not gonna stay on the gas, ya know?:p

4) drum set ups, they do just fine. i gotta change out my pads soon though, theyre beat.

hope this helps you out, happy wheelieing!
Old 11-25-2002, 11:28 AM

work765 is an unknown quantity at this point
bro,

it should be easier to wheelie a sevendy than a fiDDY......... more power and more throttle control............ just practice... yesterday i was pullin 150+ wheelies for my first time........ the way i got over the sideways fallin was to approach the wheelie going a lot faster.......... I figure bang out long fast ones, then concur long slow ones... which are ******* hard.... .. I was also getting 10-15ft stoppies,,,,,,,, they are so much ******* fun
Old 11-25-2002, 02:26 PM

OK, but I know on bigger bikes you need a front wheel motor to stabilze the lateral sway issue. That is why I am wondering if the 50's are different. Is there anyone out there that can ride a true balance wheelie for blocks on an XR70 like they can on a 50? If so please call me 240-401-0531, I will pay you. Thanks!

Eric
Old 11-25-2002, 02:49 PM

your ****** crazy dog!
Old 11-25-2002, 06:57 PM

I was just out for hours trying to deal, the lateral swing kills me, it must be different on the 50's.........must be lighter.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:50 PM

SHIFFTY is an unknown quantity at this point
to help out with the side to side let some are out of the back tire so it sits flater just like on a big bike if you need some more help PM and I will hit you up with my # good luck
Old 11-26-2002, 12:32 AM

dudeman,,

hey bro, how long have you been trying to pop wheelies on the seventy? If you say a week,, don't even bother asking any more questions........ It took me about three weeks to really be able to wheelie my bike, then on the fourth week, i was pulling long ones........... and i practice every ******* day for about an hour after work, then like two-three hours a day on weekends.... fool i ******* practiced my *** off and still am......... also, when starting off keep your legs tucked in,,, and try to go really straight, then clutch her up, nice and smooth, so you don't jerk it to one side..... once you can wheelie a lil bit farther, then start balanceing your **** with your legs in and out....... but start out with them in... thats what has been working for me. Also pick up the speed a bit, and lower the tire presure like the previous guy said..
Old 11-26-2002, 08:42 AM

I assure you I am no rookie. I can wheelie my DR350 on the street for an honest measured mile, I could keep going but the front wheel stops spinning and I get the same BS. Even at the top speed in 6th gear at 70mph with the wind on it, you still get sway if your wheel stops spinning.

My goal is here is not to do fast wheelies, it is to do the controlled single gear balance walk on the back tire, or any wheelie where the front tire has stopped spinning without a front wheel motor. Rodgdog's video is a perfect example where he is doing blocks, his front tire is stopped yet he can deal with sway. That is why I am so curious about the 50's, because if they are as light as I think, then you can actually control lateral sway with just your knees, instead of having to slap on a front wheel motor.

I am a wheelie freak, I was a big fan of Doug Domokos (the world wheelie distance record setter) as well as Jerry Jones (www.learntowheelie.com). I was about to build a front wheel motor for my 70, but then saw the vid. I may just swap out my 70 for the 50 so I can bang out wheelies.

Work765- Can you do blocks on a 50? What are your thoughts on this.......Thanks for the info guys.

Dudeman
Old 11-26-2002, 10:10 AM

no i can't do blocks and i ******* hate sideways sway........ read one of my old posts to someone else, and i mention sideways balance being a bitch...... so i doubt its just the seventy............ I just don't see the point in swaping out your bike cause you see someone else on another bike do something that you want to do..... even if someone replies that it cant be done...... be the muthafuckin first to do it!!... but then again you do have two if i read that right................ do what ya want hommie...............
Old 11-26-2002, 12:12 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future
First of all let me say I can't wheelie for $hit. Most of the time I end up looping. But I don't think there are any stunters on here that use a front wheel motor. They just balance that $hit. You're not gonna fall just because the front wheel stops spinning. I think someone from Sportbike Hype pulled a 41.5 mile wheelie and I don't think they had a front wheel motor. A lot of the guys on here can do blocks on anything. It just takes practice. Some people have it and some don't. Unfortunately I am one of the one's that don't. Keep practicing, I'm gonna.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:19 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Ishc54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes Sr tha was Greg F from **SportBike Hype** with the 41.5 miles wheelie....BUY THE VIDEO SO U GUYS CAN SEE IT TOO

Anyways ..regarding the wheelie thing...never heard of a motor in the front wheel to keep it spining...

And the balance is a bitch ...i get lucky and sometimes i pull long wheelies and if I dont ride for a couple of days i need to start practicing all over again..

Good luck bro.

Last edited by Ishc54; 11-26-2002 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:48 PM

SHIFFTY is an unknown quantity at this point
dudeman I PM you back so check it out, And everyone is right dont get rid of the 70 because its pissing you off I took me a good 2 sold weeks of being out in front of my house for at least 2 hours a day working on it. So dont give up it will come . Her is a pic of my latest trick on my fiddy. No throttle hand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 033.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	6206  
Old 11-27-2002, 08:57 PM
I Love To Post!

Schwartz will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by dudeman
OK, but I know on bigger bikes you need a front wheel motor to stabilze the lateral sway issue. That is why I am wondering if the 50's are different. Is there anyone out there that can ride a true balance wheelie for blocks on an XR70 like they can on a 50? If so please call me 240-401-0531, I will pay you. Thanks!

Eric
For real? Are you Smokin Crack? Your killen me with this. "Sway Issue." ???
Want to know what helps? lower air pressure and maybe a street tire.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:06 PM

F4iErock is an unknown quantity at this point
SHIFT ... That's Pimp Bro!

I'm getting closer... Only left hand right now!

Um... as for the front wheel motor thing.... Ya I've heard of guys using one... Kind of cheatn if you ask me. It just takes practice dewd. I can't go miles like some of my boys here... But let me tell you... My dawg can go 4 or 5 miles easy on his fiddy. Is funny as hell.... Anything you can do on a big bike... He does on a fiddy... It's pretty pimp... We'll have some pics and vids soon.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:37 PM

RichieDubs is an unknown quantity at this point
make sure your initial pull back into the wheelie is straight, cause if you pull up cocked then your whole wheelie starts off on the wrong foot. correct sway with your body. Im never sitting still on my 50 in a wheelie, I swing my knees out, shift my ***, lean off to turn, yank the bike from side to side, all kinds of ****. It took me an honest 2 weeks to even be able to hold a wheelie. gimme a straight road now and I'll own it. practice and dont be afraid to move around the bike, it'll help you out. put a helmet on if your scared your gonna eat ****. hope this helps, late.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:50 PM
Group Moderator

AdrenalneJnky is an unknown quantity at this point
what is this **** about a front wheel motor? i just got my fiddy two weeks ago, i cant wheelie that great...but i keep practicing, i can do stoppies now, get them pretty straight up, ,haven a hard to roll them out though, not sure the trick but gonna keep trying..the wheeies r coming though, got that back break down, but most of the time hit it to hard, and the front slams down...if ya keep practicing ull get it just takes time like everythingelse...goodluck with the thing they r a friggin blast !!!
Old 12-07-2002, 12:36 AM
JTL

JTL is an unknown quantity at this point
It just takes a little practice. Like three days ago i couldnt keep the front wheel up for more than 10 seconds. After a few days of pratice now i can keep them going till the front wheel stops(and then some more) Too bad it snowed a TON here and i cant ride right now
Old 12-07-2002, 12:46 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

-Rodger- is an unknown quantity at this point
pay me first. then i'll tell my secrets

dudeman, like others have said, that wheel spin thing is b.s. Domokos was the king, and I like how much thought he put into it, but it turns out in the end to be b.s.

as for rockin a 70. i got blocks, miles, endo's, 12's. all on a stock bike. oger's got one, he also has said tricks on lock. i'm pretty sure mickey rides the hell out of it too. we just are lazy and never film.

practice practice practice. i had no DL for 5 months and all i did was mini stunt.

Quick Reply: Balance Wheelie Questions