Big Bar Swap & Now 50 Won't crank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:34 PM

InfiniteReality is a decent person
Big Bar Swap & Now 50 Won't crank?

Any ideas on why, the only thing I can figured is the needle didn't sit right in the carb, but the throttle moves like normal.... The carb throttle cover was a HUGE PITA to re-install, wasn't easy. I also installed the Sik50 Stage 1 suspsension right after the big bar install, but can't see where that could have any affect?

Any help is very much appreciated!!!! My fiance said she'd learn to ride it and thinks it'll be fun so trying to get it done before Saturday. She's got the right attitude, so hopefully she'll love it and I'll be "forced" to get a second one...or even better yet another bike to put in my living room!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I'M A REGISTERED USER !!

Crazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to behold
Re: Big Bar Swap & Now 50 Won't crank?

I'm guessing you mean that it will kick over but won't start to run

Could be a few things if you didn't hook up the kill switch right or get the carb cap on right .

http://www.esd-mfg.com/50stunt/Insta...it_Install.wmv

Last edited by Crazy D; 10-23-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:07 PM

That's the probably, actually followed that and still nada. Needle looks fine, maybe I missed something in the video?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

check the wiring to the kill switch... and check to make sure the key is on, ive never made that mistake before lol
Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 PM

sarNz is a decent person

also check the needle for the carb again. i remember i was able to get my cover back on even though the thing was in there backwards somehow... im pretty sure it felt normal too
Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 PM

Well, at first it ran for a few seconds and was idling way high. This only lasted for 10s maybe and then died. Just checked the on/off switch but it's still on. Also checked the kill wiring and all ways good. My ownly guess is that the cap on the carb isn't seated right though it feels like it. It was a PITA to install that part, probably worst headache of installing it all...,

Maybe try to remove the thottle on the carb and try to start it that way. Should work right,?

Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

its the needle... you have it in backwards...
Old 10-23-2009, 11:05 PM

I'll flipt it 180 degrees and see what happens.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:08 PM

Sweet, swapping it out in a few!! Can't wait to get it running so I can set up my bars to feel comfy and tighting it all up and riding! WAY DIFFERENT BIKE when I sit on it. I'm loving it alot more now even thought I droppeded some cash to get it up to part..

Few other minor stuff to by for appearance and a custom fairing overlay that will look more like 09's designs and maybe ghost i in. I have access to a vinyl cutter which soon I'll use for some stock CRF logos I'll cutout there.. Made them in AutoCAD to scale to keep stock looking. Also they have a 48" wide full color printer than will print on decal vinyl for a VERY uniuqe in Photoshop and then wrapped plastics. It'lll be 6 months to do the wrap since I need to learn to sunt on and get all the accidents done before I go custom.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:14 PM

F3 stunna is a decent person

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I'll flipt it 180 degrees and see what happens.
i'm confused how do you put the needle in backwards??????????????
Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by F3 stunna
i'm confused how do you put the needle in backwards??????????????

I'm not sure either, but when I put in it there, it was down inside the bowl and all was good.. or did I miss something?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 PM

i just thought about it for a minute, it wouldn't bee the needle itself that would be in backwards it would be the slide i'm sure thats what he meant, one side of the slide is tapered, and one is slotted it will go in the wrong way and that would cause the bike to idle high, you want the tapered side of the slide to go towards the phillips idle screw on the left side of the carb.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:06 AM

ReSpECT is a decent person

Originally Posted by 50Outlaw
check the wiring to the kill switch... and check to make sure the key is on, ive never made that mistake before lol
I call BS........I still make that damn mistake, LoL

I also have a bad habit of turning the gas off when i park it. So i carnk it and start to bust an O, and then BAM biatch falls on its face, LoL......I guess it doesnt run without gas...=-)
Old 10-24-2009, 09:27 AM
da fiddy bitches!!!

lol, i quit turning off the gas for that reason
Old 10-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Flipped it around and only got it to run for 30 seconds and nothing. It doesn't feel like the handle doesn't have much play in it for throttle either. Any ideas?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Jersey Rider

fouroh8 is a decent person

you say the cap was a bitch to install, why? what problem were you having.

wondering if you bent the needle trying to stuff it back in
Old 10-24-2009, 03:41 PM

It kept wanting to cross thread on me. It was mainly due to the metal end of that cable not having enough bend in it to clear my frame. I bent it a little and was a little easier. I pulled that needle out probably 15 times so far so it could be bent. i also discovered that some how after loosening and tightening of the throttle, I cracked the housing on the back side. It's really a simple install and I don't know why I'm getting hell..

I gotta order a new throttle now either way, should I go billet this time so I don't break it?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:49 PM

i donno if anybody asked yet but did you check the spark plug on it, i might try puttin a new one in just for the hell of it!!! and did you mess with the idle screw at all???? not callin you dumb or anything but the idle air fuel crew is right by the idle screw the idle screw has a phillips and the idle mixture screw is a flathead...
Old 10-24-2009, 04:04 PM

Hadn't checked the plug, but may give that a shot. Didn't touch the idle or a/f screws for sure. Makes no sense why this isn't working. I may pull the cable off the throttle tube and see if that will help it start since it doesn't seem like I have full throttle play in my grips.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:04 PM

sarNz is a decent person

are you trying to put the cap back on when the carb is still hooked up to the motor? it's easier if you pull the carb all the way off. then you can check the needle and make sure it's seated properly and that cylinder goes almost all the way down when the throttle is closed. unless you're totally sure you got it on there right.

and you say you only get it running 30 seconds. is this idle or riding? fuel on? choke off?

and the billet throttle on my bike feels good to me.

Quick Reply: Big Bar Swap & Now 50 Won't crank?