Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 10:58 PM

Xidium is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 130 dollar suspension part 2!

Dam you need a longer shock bad.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:40 AM

thorwarrior915 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been up all night doing some research...and i have decided that your forks are not XR 70 copys, but PW 80 copys. Thats why your tripple clamps didn't work with the XR frame. Which also means that there is no real solid way to attach them...or no bolt on way that is. I like the looks of those forks over the xr70 forks...but if you could find a reproduction xr70 front end it would bolt right up hassle free. There is no easy way to run a brake cable on 70 legs though. Somebody needs to figure out how hard it would be to put the PW80 fork legs in the XR70 clamps. I can't find the PW80 fork leg diameter anywhere...but hondas are 27mm. The PW80 legs look closer to 30mm, which is why you had to bore out your MR clamps. What did you end up using for a brake cable? Get some pics of the brake system up.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:06 AM

suzuki7davis is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to weld a half inch cube on my 70 swing arm for the brake, worked out perfect for me, just make sure to rattle can it so it dont rust up and look shitty
Old 01-03-2005, 11:48 AM

I did some more research on the forks today, and found out that the MR forks are 25mm, the yamaha forks are 26mm, and the honda forks are 27mm. This means that you might be able to get away with using XR clamps on the PW legs if you could clamp them tight enough to the legs. That idea seems better/easier than boring the MR clamps wich could pinch and crush the fork legs if it isn't done perfectly. If you could grind down the gap on the clamps...they would be able to clamp tighter. We are only talking one millimeter here...nothing drastic.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:59 PM

weedracer is a decent person

Originally Posted by Jimmah
Looks good. I would like to comment on MR50 forks for anyone having trouble with the front brake. Simply use a hose clamp on the threaded part of the cable onto the fork leg. I did this on mine and it has worked 100% since day one with no re-adjusting. Quick, easy, over looked fix.

Jimmah Jimmah Jimmah Jimmah Jimmah Jimmah Jimmah Jimmah
now did you
Old 01-03-2005, 09:07 PM

weedracer is a decent person

yzfrone
clean your pms so I can right back
Old 01-03-2005, 09:52 PM

Jimmah is an unknown quantity at this point

What I meant to say was Tommy did it on mine and I rejoiced! How is Tom dog?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:49 PM

vonde001 is an unknown quantity at this point

So where did you get the swingarm????
Old 01-04-2005, 08:11 PM

Xidium is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thorwarrior915
I have been up all night doing some research...and i have decided that your forks are not XR 70 copys
Well, if they are copys and came with the clamps then the clamps could fit on teh copy frame, which doesn't have to be the same as the real thing.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:49 PM

I dont really know what you are trying to say, but the clamps that came on those forks are designed to bolt up to a PW80 frame. The xr/crf 50 frame is different as far as bolting up the tripple clamps goes. As far as I can tell, you are trying to tell me that the copy forks should bolt up to a copy PW80? well....duh? I still say that getting reproduction XR70 clamps with these fork legs would be the best setup. Will...what did you do for your brake cable...i want pics.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:54 PM

yzfrone is an unknown quantity at this point

okok...pics coming but my digi is in my girls car...

you guys will flip out when you see this complete...how i managed to used the stock shock but extending it an inch and how i did the brake system.

went riding with the crew tonight at the walmart parking lot and the bike was SICK!...

ill get some pics by tomorrow this project came out better than i thought.

:YEAH

it just looks SICK...when i raised the rear it looks like the sic50 setup...

i said "sick" too many times
Old 01-05-2005, 12:25 AM

suzuki7davis is an unknown quantity at this point

how did you get an inch out of your stock shock?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by suzuki7davis
how did you get an inch out of your stock shock?
yea ill post all that tomorrow...all i gotta say is that you guys wont be disappointed.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:53 AM

I agree that you may have abused your privelages to use the word "sick". I made a thread about the rear end i pioneered on planet minis and how it looked like the sik 50's setup and some goon freaked out at me telling me how my stuff is junk and how i should get down on my knees and pray to have sik 50's stuff....i think hes a little too devoted. Whats your input on all of my research will? I have it all figured out in my head...i just need to find a place to get the 27mm clamps (i.e. a clone XR70 company). Are the forks solid enough to run with and jump with and not worry about breaking anything? I have tried about 3 different fork setups on my XR, and keep going back to stock because its the only thing that works like it should. Seems like the forks would still bottom fairly easily? BBR makes HD springs though...so there is still hope i guess. Do the forks sag a lot after you sit on the bike? One thing you could try to stiffen them up a little is to put washers on top of the fork springs, that and put heavier oil in. I'll be waiting for the pics...
Old 01-05-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by thorwarrior915
I agree that you may have abused your privelages to use the word "sick". I made a thread about the rear end i pioneered on planet minis and how it looked like the sik 50's setup and some goon freaked out at me telling me how my stuff is junk and how i should get down on my knees and pray to have sik 50's stuff....i think hes a little too devoted. Whats your input on all of my research will? I have it all figured out in my head...i just need to find a place to get the 27mm clamps (i.e. a clone XR70 company). Are the forks solid enough to run with and jump with and not worry about breaking anything? I have tried about 3 different fork setups on my XR, and keep going back to stock because its the only thing that works like it should. Seems like the forks would still bottom fairly easily? BBR makes HD springs though...so there is still hope i guess. Do the forks sag a lot after you sit on the bike? One thing you could try to stiffen them up a little is to put washers on top of the fork springs, that and put heavier oil in. I'll be waiting for the pics...
yea these forks are straight...last night with me weighin 200 pounds had barely any sage between the forks and the rear...so i dont think theres a worry about the forks. as far as the triples...i need to find out what the diameter of the tubes are..once i do that i can find out who makes clamps for this

i would love to rock some custom billet clamps other than my creation...
Old 01-05-2005, 08:39 PM

yep here are the pics.

note the rear brake and the bolt drilled through, i carefully chose the bolt to withstand the force since my piece of **** bar didnt work. not the nut and the bolt to the lever? lol its ghetto but works great!

front brakes is going to be the same but need a cable...im using a HD mountain bike cable for 7 dollars at a bike shop...pretty thick stuff.

look at the shock extention! that was nifty ****...i was scratching the head and looking to buy a shock...but i said the hell with it and made something. Works great and i used steel to withstand the blows. bolted it to the stock mount to the eye of the shock for 1 1/8 inch extention...rode it all night jumpin and stunting and no problems. check out the pics.

compared it to a stock fiddy and its MASSIVE, i put the street tires on it and its even bigger. forks are as stiff as the front and from everyone riding it LOVED it. wish you guys can try it out. and trust me these forks are nice for a 200 pound guy.

$125 forks, swinarm, bushings
$free mr50 triples (you might have to get some triples if you want to use the same set
$8 for carbine drill bit...needed to drill steel
$1 for gas
$25 for street tires from on and off road
$free hours of labor with a grinder, dremel, and basic tools

Total= $159 total for one bad *** fiddy! beat that!

im going to make a Html document of the whole process on my site:
My Website

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	116457   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	116458   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	116459   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	116460  
Old 01-05-2005, 08:59 PM

oh and you might read this and say hmmm sounds like easy stuff...but theres a bunch of little things that got in the way...like,

grinding down wheel spacers.
fabricating the shock extention and giving it a slight bend..blah blah blah.
rear brake setup and that damn rod and stopper.
chain slack, this is where you need to cut and extend the chain also to make sure that the extension on the shock isnt too big cause it will rub on the swinarm pivot before it goes to the counter sprocket...
grinding forks.
boring out the triple mount holes...cause the diameter of the forks differ..
getting the tires mounted (bitch!).

and some others...

so just want to note this is not just a bolt on part..you gotta do some work.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

fab5fiddy is a decent person

awesome **** Will. its great to see people trying to out-do the aftermarket **** at a fraction of the cost. the hard work pays off in the end. glad to see you got it goin.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:28 PM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i did the same thing to my rear shock, easier if you put the link on the bottom. just need 2 pieces of 1/4" steel, about 2 inches long. dont get more travel, but the swingarm goes all the way down which raises the bike
Old 01-05-2005, 10:13 PM

Thats awesome that it all worked out. Did you have to shave the inside of the fork legs like you do on the MR forks? Any close up pics of your shock relocater? Hard to believe that little kid forks would be stiff enough, but i will take your word for it. It sits perfect right now. Add another 30 to your cost for a HD shock spring and that would make it just about 200 for good all around suspension.

Quick Reply: 130 dollar suspension part 2!