Few ? for the Army guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
JMZ
Like I Give A Fu@k!

JMZ is a decent person
Few ? for the Army guys

Ok so Ive made some bad choices in my life and to get my head above water again Ive been thinkin about joing the Army, actually have been for some time now. Im in school right now for CJ so Im thinkin why not go in and be an MP, they pay the loans I have now at ITT and pay for me to finish in there as well as I could do more with an Army MP than an assoicates at ITT Not to mention Im engaged, will be married before I leave for bootcamp, and it will give my fiance/wife the oppertunity to not work and focus full time on her medical degree, not to mention the chance to save some $ being everything is pretty much paid for for the both of us, for at least the next 4 years.....My question is how much time will I have to ride/stunt when out of bootcamp and stationed somewhere? My bootcamp is 16 weeks (9 then 7 for MP) so no time there I know. Also is there really $ to be save from being in there, just while in bc Im told $2500 a month (plus the 10k+ as the bonus after bootcamp) for me and her and more a month when out and into my job...Guess Im just looking for some straight up answers from someone thats been through it already..As I can see its a good oppertunity for me to get ahead for me and her and start off on the right foot. i appreciate any answers you guys can give me
Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of
Re: Few ? for the Army guys

While you are in basic, you will get your base pay, BAH(housing-you can see how much it is for your area since I dont know where "Right Here!" is http://www.militarytimes.com/project...2009/bah_with/ ), seperation pay for being away from your wife(I think its around 275 a month, but dont hold me to that).

and dont fall into the trap that Army training makes you some shining star in the civilian world. The Army strongly encourages everyone to get civilian education for a reason.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:36 PM
JMZ
Like I Give A Fu@k!

JMZ is a decent person

I was told $ wise I will get 1500 a month + 900 for her a month but I believe he said that was just while in basic then depending on where Im stationed depends on how much I can get but he said it could possibly be more than that....hell only having to pay car and a bike payment thats a good chunk I can stash..also the longer Im in the more I get if Im not mistaken Gotta go talk to a my recruiter next week and get more into detail

I feel you on the "shining star in the civilian world", I figure being an MP and getting the military training there would do me better than my assoicates at ITT and there would be no 20-30k to pay back...Im looking at it like her and i are paid for for the next 4 years, I get my education for free, and she can focus on hers full time..get out and have a nice chunk of change to start our life with on top of her making $70+k a year before I even get out Thinkin bout our life and not the life of the military tryin to make me something I know doesnt exist
Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 PM

2WheeledLunacy is a decent person

I worked in an MP Battalion for about 6 years. Just to let you know, if you're looking to do patrol work (riding around in a cop car) you'd be better off out of the Army or maybe one of the other services (not sure). Granted you will learn all that stuff and will get some chances to actually do it but keep in mind that with all the overseas **** going on, MPs have become MultiPurpose more than Military Police. Army MPs are more combat oriented now. Your more likely to spend all of your time in a HMMWV. The cop jobs on the bases are going to DOD Civilians. If you still want to be an MP and want some real cop time then I suggest that you try and specialize in something like Traffic, K9 or something like SWAT (can't remember the name of it). Not sure if you can come in with that in your contract but you can surely request it once you're in. Hope this helps.

PS - MPs are one of the more regularly deployed MOSs. Make sure you and your girl talk it over real good before you decide.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:39 PM
JMZ
Like I Give A Fu@k!

JMZ is a decent person

Originally Posted by 2WheeledLunacy
I worked in an MP Battalion for about 6 years. Just to let you know, if you're looking to do patrol work (riding around in a cop car) you'd be better off out of the Army or maybe one of the other services (not sure). Granted you will learn all that stuff and will get some chances to actually do it but keep in mind that with all the overseas **** going on, MPs have become MultiPurpose more than Military Police. Army MPs are more combat oriented now. Your more likely to spend all of your time in a HMMWV. The cop jobs on the bases are going to DOD Civilians. If you still want to be an MP and want some real cop time then I suggest that you try and specialize in something like Traffic, K9 or something like SWAT (can't remember the name of it). Not sure if you can come in with that in your contract but you can surely request it once you're in. Hope this helps.

PS - MPs are one of the more regularly deployed MOSs. Make sure you and your girl talk it over real good before you decide.

thanks man, some good advise I was looking for...I honestly wouldnt mine spending my time in a HUMV The guy I talked to was telling me that to specialize in what I wanted the I would have to sell myself while training and let them know what I wanted to do. And K9 or SWAT is what I was thinkin about anyway...My uncle was a K9 officer in ther Army and Ive always had the itch for some SWAT work so Im likeing that. We have been talking hard about it for awhile and she thinks this decision is in the best interest for us and will greatly help us get ahead with our lives. She is very supportive in everything I do. I just want her to finish school more than anything and this is a chance for her to do so full time and not worry about working as well as me gain a bigger jump on a career myself
Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM

ZaGGie05 is a decent person

Ok this is my but I am also not an MP, im infantry. I just PCS'ed (Changed to another base) and the unit im with just got back from Iraq. So were in downtime right now and my schedule normaly run's like this, 6:30 - 7:30 - 8:00ish pt, Breakfast/personal hygene from 8 to 9:30 work starts at 9:30, lunch 11:30 to 1:00 and normaly off by about 3 - 330 pm.

Easy day.

I talked to alot of MPs that run twelve hour patrol shifts though, and when you get deployed your basicly doing everything the infantry does.

As for your bonus, you'll get 5k when you get outta AIT then the rest yearly.

Just think long and hard if you wanna go into the military, I love it. I'm a lifer.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:00 PM
JMZ
Like I Give A Fu@k!

JMZ is a decent person

Thank you sir, as for your day thats the way it was pretty much explained to me also, I know if Im deployed to Iran or somewhere my hours will probally be long and free time short but Ill have no bike in Iraq anyway Jus twanted to know if I had some free time to do the whole stunt thing still on that part I guess

For me its pretty much my education Im thinking about, give them 4 years and I get military training as an MP which will be great for my civilian life once out of the army, also the chance to bank away some $ while living off the government Hell there is noway I could pay back my ITT loans in 4 years if I didnt go in, and I can do better with education from the Army then I could with my associates at ITT The more I think about it the more I think I cant go wrong with the decision and who knows I might like it also and decide to stay in myself

Last edited by JMZ; 03-29-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:59 PM

ZaGGie05 is a decent person

4 years as an MP should grant you the rank of E5 atleast(Sargent) that looks good on a resume for leadership skills also... just dont be a shitbag and get in trouble =P
Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 AM

phxRRkid will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2WheeledLunacy

Been in the Army for 6 years. Im a Sergeant & an MP and I love it. Been deployed twice but with the new administration things are winding down. The money is good, and oh yeah..... SWAT in the military is called SRT (special response team).
Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by ZaGGie05
4 years as an MP should grant you the rank of E5 atleast(Sargent) that looks good on a resume for leadership skills also... just dont be a shitbag and get in trouble =P

I think he meant Sergeant.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 AM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of

I was thinking the same thing lol
Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Compton82
I was thinking the same thing lol
it happens....
Old 04-01-2009, 02:37 AM
KO
One Wheel Pimp'n

KO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond repute

Being in the military will def. help you on the civilian side if you decide to get out. Lets say you go take the test to get on at a dept and you score a 96. joe shmo next to you scores a 96 also, but since your prior service, you get an extra 5 points and automatically beat him for the spot. Can't beat that. Hell, why do you think there's so many cop's that are prior service

I did 6 in the Marine's and in the process of re-enlisting right now. I'm cross'n over to MP b/c I 'm look'n at going into law enforcement on the civilian side. That and if I go back in for 12 more years, I can retire when I'm 38
Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 AM
JMZ
Like I Give A Fu@k!

JMZ is a decent person

Originally Posted by DJ KO
Being in the military will def. help you on the civilian side if you decide to get out. Lets say you go take the test to get on at a dept and you score a 96. joe shmo next to you scores a 96 also, but since your prior service, you get an extra 5 points and automatically beat him for the spot. Can't beat that. Hell, why do you think there's so many cop's that are prior service

I did 6 in the Marine's and in the process of re-enlisting right now. I'm cross'n over to MP b/c I 'm look'n at going into law enforcement on the civilian side. That and if I go back in for 12 more years, I can retire when I'm 38
Thats what I was thinking also. Went up today and talked to my recruiter and got a little more info on a few more things and it honestly doesnt sound as bad as I made it out to be. I can definitly bank some good $ and get my education like I want to while she does her schooling also......Another question for you guys, when they station you somewhere after bootcamp, did you guys stay there for the full 4 or did they move you around?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:22 AM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

DONT GO MP!!!!!!!!!!!

misplaced power
misguided person
military *****
MP upside down is detainee watcher

need i go on

FTP!!!!!!!!!

hahaha sorry im at a base full of these ******* and i cant stand em. ******* morons

and dont let em lie, doing army **** probly wont help a ******* lick in the civilian world, police dont want some trigger happy haji killer on their task force

DONT GOOOOOOOOO MP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

yeah every MP i've ever met were douchebags... much like a lot of civilian police
Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 AM
JMZ
Like I Give A Fu@k!

JMZ is a decent person

Haha damn! I can see much else to go in for. Its the only thing that goes with the schooling I have already aquired. What are some jobs in there that would help once a civilian again. I want to gain more than just "being in the army" that I do know, that's more important to me than anything
Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM

tattoofreak is a decent person

**** it bro go recon I'm a marine and I'm not knocking any army guys I have the upmost respect I was infantry and people will tell you you have a lot of down time but units like to do bullshit games. Another thing when you join and get married don't livein the barracks you'll be doin police call every day and who has ever been in the military knows how much that sucks. But anyways good luck with what you choose and don't let anyone tell you your not goin to iraq been there 4 times. Good luck semper fi and kill em all if you go over there.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
KO
One Wheel Pimp'n

KO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond repute

alot of cop's are douche's, but i know alot that are cool. And being military does help if you go into law enforcement on the civilian side. I know multiple dpt's that look mainly for prior service guy's. Hell, if you know any cops, ask them how many guys in their dpt are prior service. most of the time it will be at least 75% of them
Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 PM
KO
One Wheel Pimp'n

Originally Posted by tattoofreak
**** it bro go recon I'm a marine and I'm not knocking any army guys I have the upmost respect I was infantry and people will tell you you have a lot of down time but units like to do bullshit games. Another thing when you join and get married don't livein the barracks you'll be doin police call every day and who has ever been in the military knows how much that sucks. But anyways good luck with what you choose and don't let anyone tell you your not goin to iraq been there 4 times. Good luck semper fi and kill em all if you go over there.
Semper Fi bro, and Recon is def the ****

Quick Reply: Few ? for the Army guys