Should I join the reserves

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 09:01 PM

ftrain is a decent person
Should I join the reserves

I always wanted to join the services but took the college route. I am now 27 and work for a government sub-contractor designing EW systems for the U2, C-130, and F-22. My company supports anyone who joins the reserves. Even covering the difference in pay if you go into active duty. I was wondering if people could post any experience that they have had. Good or bad. Just wondering what I would be getting into at such a late age. Also what reserves are the best to join and why.

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-22-2003, 02:34 AM

cliffordp130 is an unknown quantity at this point
all or none.. in or out.. not half way. I told my sister the same thing
Old 06-22-2003, 03:02 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Darkmind is a decent person
Then we would have to call you a tampon because you would only be out for blood once a mounth!
Old 06-23-2003, 01:10 PM

But then why would anyone leave a high paying job to make a 1/4 of my old salary??? That is why the reserves would allow me to keep my job so I could support a family and toys.

That is why I am asking if it is worth to join the reserves because you would not be living, eating, and breathing it full-time, just once a month.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:12 PM

Dude I was just kidding LOL
Old 06-23-2003, 05:24 PM

drizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Just plan on being shipped out. I guess if oyu've got a degree though, you could always become an officer righ off the bat. I'm Army reserve: Psyops. Going to basic July 9th. All I know is that my unit is a tier-1 unit. First to go. I don't think I could hang with that if I was dillusional and thinking II wouldn't ever go.

Also keep in mind reserves are being called on now more than they have in like 30 years or something...
Old 06-24-2003, 10:03 AM

It is a tough call on which reserves to join. I am going to head down to the local office and talk with the recruiters. I am not looking for another desk job if I join the reserves. Instead I would like to be out on the front line. It will also be cool to be able to fly a blackhawk but I am not sure if that is available in the reserves. A little voice in my head keeps saying Marines!!!! I have tons of questions but first I need to educate myself about the different branches and then ask more specifics. It would be nice to be able to get away from this desk and still get full pay from work. I think the reserves would be great option since my company is very friendly towards employees who join the forces. BTW I work for BAE SYSTEMS as a RF Engineer and design Electronic Warfare Systems for the U2, C-130, and F-22.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:41 AM

Just get a job with a big signing bonus if you can... you can always change jobs later on, unless you go Marines. They usually don't get to chose their jobs in advance...
Old 06-25-2003, 03:20 AM

billydeez is an unknown quantity at this point
I worked with a ton a reserves a few moths ago in Texas and they were a little delusional as far as their resposibilities. With current word taskings I hope your present job is extremely supportive because these individuals were tasked for a 12 month rotation and many, not all, of them was complaining about it was not what they signed up for. The military is a great experience but you will never hear anyone saying it was convienent.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:43 AM

I dont know about the reserves, but when I signed up for active duty, I got the job I asked for.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:02 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Angel Of Death is a decent person
MARINES ALL THE WAY! When I walked into the recruiters office outside the Westgage Mall, in Brockton, I got exactly what I asked for: Electronics Technician. As for the reserves, there’s a bunch of different options for jobs at Fort Devins, one of my best friends is a Staff Sergeant in the reserves based out of Fort Devins. He loves it, he’s a 2111 Armorer, and a Billerica Police Officer. As for your age, my roommate here is a 33 year Lance Corporal, and he loves active duty. There were at least a half dozen "over thirty" Marines right out of boot camp at my term school in 29 Palms, they seamed to be having the times of their lives. Although with your degree, i would HIGHLY suggest Officer Candidate School in Quantico. I do hope your job won't mind you being gone so long, I know OCS is 10 weeks and then 6 months of school after that, plus additional training. I plan on going reserves after my "End of Active Service" I can't wait. Regardless, good luck my friend and SEMPER FI!

Lance Corporal Baer, USMC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	marinesega2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	23052  
Old 06-25-2003, 07:04 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Angel Of Death is a decent person
PS ther's nothing wrong with being a Reservist, don't listen to anyone's heckling
Old 06-25-2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Cbr1000cc
PS ther's nothing wrong with being a Reservist, don't listen to anyone's heckling
Yeah... us weekend warriors OWN JOO! Well, I guess it's a little different when my job is 95% reservists, so we get deployed constantly... I haven't been yet, but I suspect you'll be seeing some posts from me stunting in Korea soon 'nuff

I have a bunch of Marine friends and family, and I seriously looked into it, but there just weren't many jobs I was into. If you want to be combat though, go for it. They'll whip you into shape fo shizzle.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:49 AM

minytrker is an unknown quantity at this point
Look into the AF reserves, Im leaving active duty AF and going to the reserves. They have a lot to offer, plus I think the AF takes care of its people better. I fly all around the world and deal with all branches and see it first hand.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:14 PM

zenbruddah is an unknown quantity at this point
How are the reserves for helpin out with paying for College tuition? I have had to put my self through school here at Purdue and was considering joining the reserves to help aleviate my sizable student loans, and was thinking it would be a kick *** experience.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:00 AM

nbeihl is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, i would have to say... Join Up and serve your country!!! I just began Pilot training this past monday for the Air Force, and about 1/2 the class is guard or reserve!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:12 AM

sk8man311 is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome
Old 07-19-2003, 11:59 PM

Lilhex is an unknown quantity at this point
The reserves are not bad as some non military people make it out to be. I have been in the reserves for about ten years, and can't say anything negative about it. I am in the infantry(11/mike)and really enjoy it. My rank is sergeant(E5) and I am a Bradely Fighting vehichle Gunner for the XO. If you find a good unit to join your age should not be a problem. Your experience should be greatley appreciated in your new unit.